The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Yes, much discussed before, but I was just reading Time and it had a mini-interview with Jeremy Irons, whom I had never heard mentioned as a rider. They asked him:

In "Being Julia" and "Forever Calla", your character has to wrangle divas. Any advice on how to deal with them?

He responded: I ride horses, and I know that if I have something I'm riding that has excess spirit, it is to be valued. I think divas are the same... If they're difficult, it's because they care a lot and they're trying to do something extraordinary. I much prefer that to someone who is easy to work with but is only trying to jump 2ft.

Interesting. Never knew he was a rider. Can't remember every having seen him ride anything "on screeen."

Yes, much discussed before, but I was just reading Time and it had a mini-interview with Jeremy Irons, whom I had never heard mentioned as a rider. They asked him:

In "Being Julia" and "Forever Calla", your character has to wrangle divas. Any advice on how to deal with them?

He responded: I ride horses, and I know that if I have something I'm riding that has excess spirit, it is to be valued. I think divas are the same... If they're difficult, it's because they care a lot and they're trying to do something extraordinary. I much prefer that to someone who is easy to work with but is only trying to jump 2ft.

Interesting. Never knew he was a rider. Can't remember every having seen him ride anything "on screeen."

Apparently, he doesn't ride dressage http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif.

I agree, I found this comment intriguing. Certainly a positive spin answer to a question that could have really gone bad quickly.

Also wouldn't mind seeing him on a horse...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Yes, I've only seen him in contemporary stuff, Lolita, that twin doctors thing, Reversal of Fortune, or, a real hoot, in Die Hard With A Vengeance - he actually almost had a TAN in that one! Macho Jeremy Irons! I do like him as an actor, but I can't ever remember seeing him in anything where he had to ride a horse... and I certainly doubt he'd be riding one in the Maria Callas movie nor in Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino!

JI also did the voice of Scar in The Lion King.

Julia Roberts and Robert Duvall ride jumpers. Tommy Lee Jones is a polo player. Cindy Crawford rides cutting horses.

Patrick Swayze and Sissy Spacek show Arabians, and William Shatner shows ASBs (previously QHs).
    HR/MPL Clique

"I am villifying you - for God's sake, pay attention!" - Peter O'Toole as Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Richard Gere rides, but I'm not sure what.
    And so does Robert Redford... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Lucy Liu rides hunters or jumpers (but I'm not sure which)

Alyssa Milano rides and owns Paso Finos as does Mark Paul Gosslar (you know, Zack from Saved by the Bell)

Rumor is (at least based on an old thread here) that Brad Pitt rides as well... Wouldn't I like to see that http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Noah Whyle ( http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif) rides and owns a few horses in Cali. He also runs a rescue program for all kinds of animals.

Brad Pitt rides reiners, but shows under an assumed name. Fortunately, the tabloids have yet to figure out which name.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Red28040 Guest

Kate Bosworth, of Blue Crush fame, used to show jumpers when she was younger, and still rides on occasion, and looking to get back into jumpers (according to this month's Cosmo http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif). So, she was very comfortable in the riding clothes/riding scenes that were required of her small role in the Horse Whisperer http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I also vaguely remember something about Jensen Ackles (used to be a soap & Dark Angel), and Jonathon Rhys Meyers (from Bend It Like Beckham & Vanity Fair) being riders..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red28040:
    Kate Bosworth, of Blue Crush fame, used to show jumpers when she was younger, and still rides on occasion, and looking to get back into jumpers (according to this month's Cosmo http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that too, lol! Definitely respect her more, now http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif Laura Prepon from That '70's Show also rides (I think everyone knows this by now), don't know what discipline though. She was supposed to be on The Ellen Degeneres Show in the next few days I think.. anyone know if I missed it, and if she mentioned the horses at all? Seems like a hobby/interest that most talk show hosts would like to discuss because it's relatively unique.

Jeremy Irons foxhunts, which I think was brave of him to talk about on that Actors Studio show.

I vaguely remember an article by Lendon Gray with a photo of Glenn Close on a horse.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Jeremy Irons was Aramis in The Man in the Iron Mask IIRC there were a couple scenes where he rode (I could be wrong and confusing scenes there with The Three Musketeers).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

AH, he foxhunts! That's even more interesting. Yes, it was brave of him to mention that, considering the situation in England. Since foxes will be killed regardless of whether hunts continue, it does seem to be a class issue rather than a humane issue. I understand that they are going to continue the hunts - acts of "civil disobedience." How many people can the authorities arrest, I wonder? If there is mass resistance throughout Great Britain, it may be quite a scene. I don't want to place the "right to foxhunt" on the same level as the civil rights struggle of the '60s, but it is from those demonstrations and "civil disobedience" that the foxhunters seem to be basing their promised actions. I'm interestedly awaiting the copies of Horse & Hound that my English "pen pal" sends me.

Tom Selleck's daughter rides hunters and jumpers
    Bruce Spreensteen's daughter rides
    John Mellencamp's daughter rides

Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick have a couple of horses, apparently, and Eddie Murphy has a few horses at his place. not sure how much any of them ride, however. Robin Givens (from Howard sterns' show) rides hunters, i've seen her showing at Old Salem. Joan (why can't i remember her last name? but she was or is an anchor on one of the news shows) has a daughter that did the hunters as well.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Timex--Robin Quivers from Howard Sterns show and Joan Lundgren (maybe?)

There is a really cool book (and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it...maybe people and their horses, it has robert redford on the cover) that talks about famous people and their horses. Its pretty neat to see the stars that ride or just own horses-and they are all really diverse (from hunters to arabs to roping etc).

Its got great pictures too.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"