The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you all think of these two OTTBS?

I really like both these boys..

Wondering what everyone else thinks

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=283

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=1261

Thoughts?

Ok I like one more - so its really three..

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=1248

Door number three.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Drooling over number three!

the first looks alittle light on the back end..
    I LOVE THE THIRD! hes absolutly GORGEOUS! and with just alittle more weight would make him even better! i'd defininitly go with the third!

they are all really cute!
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

I don't like the thrid horse at all. Don't like his neck and fat throatlatch or the way his haunch ties in to his back.

I kind of like the second horse, and I think that the first horse is my favorite, but he is a similar type as my new mare.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Door number three.
    Quote Originally Posted by mALTed View Post
    Drooling over number three!
    Ditto.
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

If humanly possible, I'd either get out there and look at them in person or send someone to take better pictures. Bachelor Number Three had the advantage of some very nice pictures taken squarely from the side. But if you examine Bachelor Number Two's pictures and imagine him standing squarely, he's got a lovely shoulder angle and a nicer butt than the pictures make it appear. For me it would come down to which horse I "clicked with" when I met them.

I actually like horse #1 the best especially if he wasn't standing on the side of a hill for his pics. I didn't take the pictures but I would guess stood square he would be more even. He appears to have good angles. His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I actually like horse #1 the best especially if he wasn't standing on the side of a hill for his pics. I didn't take the pictures but I would guess stood square he would be more even. He appears to have good angles. His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.

I agree he is not standing well - I see potential in him and he is only three - so lots of growing and filling out to do.

So its between door #1 and door #3... If you all were shopping via internet - I live in Co so cant go see them - who would you take?

Thanks for all the help!

Number #1 is my sentimental favorite. Something about his eye--soft but very intelligent--he reminds me a bit of my gelding.

If it were my money, I'd disqualify #1 on the grounds that he's a cribber (which may not be a problem for you, but Lord help you if he doesn't suit your needs and you have to sell him as a cribber with minimal training/minimal show record. Not an easy resell).

Then I'd choose between #2 and #3, which are radically different horses in terms of height and presence. Pick the one that speaks to you and do a PPE.

FWIW, I think #3 looks like an unpleasant saddle fitting adventure unless you already own something that will fit him. #2 looks like a fairly straightforward saddle fit.

I like #2. #3, though his throatlatch is, odd. #1 is just too skinny-looking for me.

Really, they're all nice.

Next time we are at the track I will try to take some more pics of Nickel Beer. Delaware park doesn't have a lot of flat ground unless you want to stand in the road so picture taking is challenging. It's nice for the horses with lots of yummy grass to graze while cooling out but flat surfaces would make it much easier for us!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I like #2. #3, though his throatlatch is, odd. #1 is just too skinny-looking for me.

Really, they're all nice.
    I agree about the throatlatch on #3. Is it possible he had tie back surgery?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.
    This is extremely important, especially because you are buying a horse from across the country!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    I agree he is not standing well - I see potential in him and he is only three - so lots of growing and filling out to do.

So its between door #1 and door #3... If you all were shopping via internet - I live in Co so cant go see them - who would you take?

Thanks for all the help!
    Is the horse to be used as a hunter or a jumper?

I think #3 may be more of a training challenge, just the impression I get, but I think he is quite an athlete. #2 looks to be easier going, possibly quieter type that would do well in hunters. I'd still take #3 .

I don't like the look of number #2 - that giraffey neck (which I'm sure would fill out quite nicely) and I think he's too fine boned for my tastes. I really don't know that much about conformation, but does it seem like his pasterns are quite long? Or is it just my eye?

Number 3 grabs me - I think he's very handsome and I like his face. He seems like he'd have a fun personality. But I definitely agree that there is something weird about his throat latch.

I really enjoy these threads because they help me learn about conformation!

Quote Originally Posted by dauntless View Post
    I don't like the look of number #2 - that giraffey neck (which I'm sure would fill out quite nicely) and I think he's too fine boned for my tastes. I really don't know that much about conformation, but does it seem like his pasterns are quite long? Or is it just my eye?

Number 3 grabs me - I think he's very handsome and I like his face. He seems like he'd have a fun personality. But I definitely agree that there is something weird about his throat latch.

I really enjoy these threads because they help me learn about conformation!
    I think what everyone does not like about his throatlatch is that he was just gelded - so he has a more studdy looking neck and throatlatch.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    I think what everyone does not like about his throatlatch is that he was just gelded - so he has a more studdy looking neck and throatlatch.
    I am not surprised!!! I was going to say he has a stallion's head, nice big cheek. Still like him a lot!!!

Ok just to complicate things - here is one other I like too - I am looking for more of a jumper than a hunter..

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=279