The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wanted: older small/med/possibly large pony for leadline/pet in Virginia

Our pony hasn't worked out for my friend, so I'm trying to find a replacement. The reason he hasn't worked out is that little/no work has turned him into a beast. Apparently he needs a harder job.

Here's what we're looking for: Preferably small/medium pony...but for the perfect one, will consider large pony or small horse. Nothing over 15 hands will be considered. Gelding or mare. Must be able to be alone. Eventually they'll add a pasturemate but for now they just want one. Old is preferred, ugly is okay. This will be for a 4yo girl to be led around on, must be quiet enough for her to brush and eventually lead around. Some walk/light jog riding by older children occasionally. No strenuous work ever. Soundness issues fine but nothing that requires major maintenance. It would be nice if this pony could handle pasture without overweight/foundering issues, but cornering off a dry lot is doable for the right pony. Run-in/lot area can be shut off for dry lot time as well. However, the small pasture area is very good so skinny ponies are encouraged to apply

As for the home, this pony/horse would be kept at friend's parents. They are not horse people, but are animal lovers and smart enough to yell for help when they need it. Nice pasture with good grass, very nice run-in shed with good protection from the elements. Friend has 4yo daughter, and 2 older nieces that would provide plenty of treats and TLC. She has owned horses before and has access to plenty of knowledgable horse people, but it would have be easy to handle and deal with as her older parents would be the daily caregivers. Friend's father spends alot of time in the yard, so there would be plenty of treats over the fence and fussing over. If I was a horse, I'd want to live in their backyard

Please email me at aflamb@embarqmail.com if you have a suitable pony you'd like to rehome. There would be no problem with signing a no-sell or free lease-type contract. She also has references in the local horse community as well. Pony should be in Virginia (or close!).

New requirement....4yo girl says the pony should be PINK. So, for anyone with a pony that meets the above requirements and is also pink, we'll certainly travel out of state!

It's too bad we are not closer by. I used to work at a riding school that is trying to rehome some old schoolies that would be absolutely perfect. Perhaps you should contact some local riding schools?

What part of VA are you in?
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

maybe they can take one from Days End Farm (defhr.org which is in MD) as a foster home, then adopt it if it works out?
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

They are in Fluvanna County.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

New requirement....4yo girl says the pony should be PINK.
    All that and pink????

I haven't seen any pink ponies lately but I'll keep my eyes peeled for one....

It would be funny if you could find a white pony and have it dyed pink for its arrival. Complete with glitter on the hooves and in the mane and tail....
    Let go or be dragged.~ American proverb

Sent you a PM.

I'm not sure where in Virginia you are but this mare was posted on another board, unusually colored (blue roan maybe) splash or sabino older Registered Appy mare, unfortunately may be in foal and blind, but as a leadline horse it shouldn't be a problem. I know a breeder that was able to manage a bred blind mare fine by putting a bell on the foal after birth. Not sure it is ideal, but this girl needs a miracle so thought I would crosspost. She is actually a cute little thing though not sure how tall.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...me-340288.html
    Standing White Magic, cremello Jockey Club stallion~ www.whitemagictb.com
    RIP~Zack, 1976-2007; always there when I needed you to the very end; run free with the girls, until we gallop together again!

Thanks App, that looks like such a sweet mare and it would be wonderful if we could match a needy horse with this home, but I'm afraid the blind part might complicate things, and the in foal part definitely would. They are not knowledgable enough to manage the situation properly. I hope the mare is able to find a good home!

Default Pink Pony

Hi,

I care for a wonderful, wonderful PINK pony....really.....well, when we first got her she looked PINK from all the clay that she had rolled in (VA Clay!).....once we hosed her off, she ended up being more of a white with reddish brown dots (she's a POA)....she's 13.3 H and is VERY safe and calm...with that being said...I've been caring for her for almost 3 years now. The owners don't care for her a bit....I even pay for the hay, etc. -- she does have asthma and coughs when it's really humid. The owners would not pay for tests for her, so I've done as much as I could (I also own 2 horses) --- I want to "buy" her from the owners b/c they don't really care about her; although her 12 yr. old daughter insists on having a "pasture ornament" to show off to her friend's....it makes me and my 2 daughters mad. Anyhow, she would be PERFECT for leadline and even a very timid/beginner rider....she jumps really cute, too! My 12 year old daughter loves her and cares for her like it's her's, BUT I don't have room for her at my barn presently.....where in VA are you located?

Briddygirl, email me at aflamb@embarqmail.com. I'm having a busy couple of days, and I need to respond to a PM also, but I'd love to talk to you more. My friend is about 1/2 hour from Charlottesville.

Looks like the mare found a home! :]