The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Icthy Udder are in near-to foaling mare?????

Hi. I have a Danish warmblood mare who is close to foaling (due 6-15-10) and today I found her lifting her hind leg way way up trying to rub her udder area or somewhere near there against a hanging bucket. She kept doing this and I learned form a worker she has done it before. I eventually rubbed some Desitin all over the area and she seemed to like that but while it helped it clearly didn't stop the itch/pain or whatever it was. She had had swelling in her right udder since last year which the Vets have checked on numerous times and told me now to worry, but now I am worried again. Any suggestions??

Have you tried cleaning between her udders? They can get pretty gunky between there. If she is clean the most logical guess would be bugs. I would be leery of fly sprays if she is very close to foaling so maybe prop her in front of a strong fan?

Well if this makes you feel any better. My mare would park her udder beside me and pick her back leg up. I could itch her for hours and she would still want more - this was before and after she foaled. She is 17h and picks her leg up like a dog or if she gets tired of that she parks like a Saddlebred. She gets the eyes rolled back, lips pointed thing going. Her colt had even learned to itch his moms bag for her, it was very cute.
    My colt has been gelded and he did the same thing to me, had his leg cocked so I could scratch his scar, I thought he was going to fall over!
    I told this story last year and had several other people say their mare was the same way.

Oh and she was itchy with no bugs around, but that might not be the same in your case.

My mare is just like stoicfish's mare. She will hike her leg like a dog, and I have to warn people that she isn't trying to kick them when she swings her butt into newcomers. She is hope she can lure some unsuspecting person into scratching her. Try taking a wet washcloth and cleaning her udder really well. All of my pregnant mares, near term, will back into things, including branches, in an attempt to scratch their butt area. I'm not sure it is specifically their milk bag, but it could be.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Default Smegma Queen

I have a mare and her daughter who get horrible smegma from above her anus, along the outsides of her vulva, between her thighs,to down the middle of her bag. Great gobs of smegma. I use mineral oil to help clean the whole area though they would happily fight over me to keep scratching. When they smell the baby oil I am mobbed by my mares. Bugs do make it worse but the smegma is the main issue. I still have baby oil left but I will switched to unperfumed mineral oil...maybe you could use Bag Balm which is made for dairy cows and is primarily lanolin. PatO

Absolutely -- clean her udder, especially in the fold between her teats. Use a soft cloth, warm water and a little baby oil and be very gentle. That stuff gets really stuck in there and the skin is tender. Once clean, repeat every few days to make sure you have it all and if she is getting ready to foal, you definately want to handle her and keep it clean. Poor things don't have hands and fingers!
    PennyG

My mares have itchy udders when 1) They are sweaty 2) They have been bitten by the gnats, or 3) have smegma in between their teats.

Default Itchy Udder are in near-to-foaling mare?????

Thanks for the ideas. I did wash her today as I had felt some smegma there yesterday so I made sure to clean that area really well. From googling this issue it seems that pinworms might be it, but she has been wormed regularly and I didn't notice anything when I bathed her today, but will be on the lookout. I also wormed her today with Equi-Max. Others have said they get sweet itch. I didn't think we had that here in California, in Contra Costa County but I could be wrong. We have been having knats the last few weeks.
    Also, her right udder is hard and @ 3 times larger than the left. This has been ongoing since last summer. I've had my Vet look at it several times and they always told me not to worry but after reading about chronic mastitis I think they maybe should have done more.

My mare used to lay sternal and rock back and forth front to back scratching herself. She was really itchy near her umbilical area and that's how she took care of it when I wasn't there to itch her.
    Cloverfox Stables

Did your vet look at the enlarged nipple or brush you off entirely? I was VERY worried about my maiden mare due in '09 -- right about the time I was breeding her, she got an enlarged nipple/swollen udder on one side. The vet expressed milk from it, called it precocious lactation, and said it was nothing to worry about. Of course I did worry, who doesn't find anything and everything to worry about with a maiden?!

It behaved absolutely normally for the baby. Post-weaning it is almost indistinguishable from the other side. So it really MIGHT be nothing to worry about.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?