The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Hi Leena, Just wondering how you and the Greenies are handling the 90 deg. weather? Hope you are managing until we get a lengthy cool spell.
    Hugs,
    Sylvia

Oh Boy is this ever hot !!!!!

I have been silent for a while...

We went to our dressage final and I told myself..Gheez, you have 2 really good fillies so kick your butt and bring them both..It is such a challenge since I know 4 tests is too much for me.
    So we went.

I won the champion with my grey filly and went 2nd and 4th (I knew the last test..) with my bay filly.

Here some pics:

Shannon, my grey filly, in training level for young horse:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/014-4.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/013-3.jpg

Orla, my bay filly in Intro:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/033-3.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/008-9.jpg

Technically, it was my best show ever. Both fillies are growing right now, we are in the step where they are leaning on the bit, they need to accept more weight from behind...and the behind is also up which means it is difficult.

But they were really nice to me !

I ran out of gas at the 4th tests, but since it was an Intro test and I did have too much of warm up, just 15 minutes..I feel this is really not bad.

So I will reach my primary goal set up 3 years ago and I did become a better rider !! This is my gift !

On my health side, well, the rabbit is also running out of gas..I'll meet my doctor on monday and we will see.

I told myself in the spring, if I could have summer, a bit of fall, just to finish to start alll the greenies, that would be really good. I feel ok with al this, not sad at all.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Well done girl !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The horses look great! I know you have treasured your time with them.

Wow both girls look great! The last part of your post got to me a little bit. I just want you to know you are an inspiration.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

You are incredible riding four tests! Shannon is still my favorite but the bay filly is looking very sweet. You may not feel strong but you certainly look it -- strong enough to win your championship.
    Hope your winning streak continues on Monday, Lena.
    Sylvia

Well thank you !

I find that better technics helps to relax et just ask for more obedience throught legs. In fact I felt less weak than for any other shows. Even if the pain increase.

So to get back on my thread, I am really glad I just focus on being a better rider, and through this, was able to deal with chemos, handle the stress of having cancer and still through all this enjoy the greenies, enjoy their immense empathy..

I did not change any plans..just adapt my plans to my new reality.

Through horses I found joy, serenity..They don't have a cue of what is affecting me but they carry so much inner peace. Listening to the horse and all what they offer was the best medicine. Through them I have learned to forgive and just enjoy the ride.

This does not mean I am not dead scared, that I did not feel any anger or injustice about my case..Oh no ! I have my time...But horses always tell me to just enjoy the time being.

I wish everyone the same everyday !
    Élène

Leena, as always...wishing you the best, and joy. You have inspired me and my riding. Every time I ride and it is hard work, I think, be like Leena, be light. Be joyous. And it makes such a difference.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I echo the sentiments of Geek as well. When I'm on my greenie thinking geez I can't do this today, I want to give myself a slap. I think of you and all you've accomplished. Then your little words of wisdom make me light and happy, thus the horses go better. So thank you so very much.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Land of the Maple Leaf & Tim Horton's Coffee

Smile Treasuring each moment... with a smile

Elene,
    I struggle too, with pain and fatigue, but You give me HOPE! Yes, I often have to remind myself to just enjoy the day, the moment, and forget what once was..., or how much better " if only... ". Instead, I make it a point to treasure every ride, and love my horse who so graciously carries me around without complaint! My goal is to be able to ride him in a Show one day - you are such an inspiration, and I thank you so very much for sharing your journey. It really helps to keep me smiling on the not-so-good days, when sometimes it is such an effort, and that is such a huge Blessing!

You and your girls look so wonderful! Congratulations!
    (((hugs)))
    judy
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

Elene you continue to amaze me!! You have accomplished so much with your greenies this summer that you should really feel great!! Here's praying the rabbit will come up with something good on Monday!!
    Hugs, Bernie
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Smile O Great Wise One

Elene,

Your inspiration works for jumping, too!

I just finished a foxhunting clinic with Paul Striberry. My greenie mares had only been over little logs in the woods, and some cavaletti a year ago. He uses the harmony of dressage for the jumping and to keep the horses in the relaxed, happy learning mode. I kept think of you as I practiced not clutching with my legs, finding my balance, without taking more hold of the mouth.

I had to press down on the sides of the neck to help the crest release and not have my right leg fly forward. It took courage for me to loop the reins and not drive with my seat. I was over riding and making my horses very tense. I kept your serenity image as I worked on trusting the horse, and it worked!

We were jumping little grids, about 2' tall off of 15-20 m circles. When I did too much, Ruby, my han mare soared, and jumped 3'6". Because I just wanted to stay with her, I gave her rein, so the flight was soft. Over the 5 days, she understood more and developed the confidence to finish with jumping some barrels.

Wren, the Trak, had anxiety at being in a new place and was moving at the speed of light the first day. We worked on many downward transitions on small circles to slow her down without grabbing her in the mouth. She is so agile, quick and clever that it is hard stay light enough and centered in the saddle. What do you image to stay in the middle? I imaged palm trees on a Carribean beach, which has worked in the past, but Wren needed another image. Thoughts?

She was her quiet alert self the next day. I need to help her slow down to a normal tempo through the grid. We did the chill out deep breathing at a walk with strokes and lots of down transitions. We also did the Zen in the moment, there is no time, it is an illusion, meditation, with soft vocal cooing.

I look at the photos of you jumping, and you inspire me to keep working to get the feeling back. It has been over a decade since I last jumped. I'm learning all over again. As you said, the greenies give us so much joy.

Love You!

Robin

I have just read through this thread.
    I must say Elene you are an inspiration to all of us.
    Keep on, keepin' on.
    Horses know more than you think. They are also so kind and understanding.
    I am sending my prayers on your behalf.
    Atta girl!
    Kindest regards,
    sadlmakr

I am so happy I can help !

From this summer more specifically, what I felt on greenies, especially to new place is this;

Some gets really tense as they wants to check everything and they seems to be prepare for the flight of their live.

I have learned with those to just keep my reins with no tension and slowly ride with the driving seat, try some leg yield..I found they need our compassion at this point and find a security from our aids, not necessarely being steering..
    I can feel them after getting slowly relax and then you may start warm-up. Transitions are always our friend with those to slowly bring back their attention. Use of halt halt is very good too.

I find our disabilities make us looking for more control and we stiff, we get more in command..In fact we always should remember the horse is looking for the dominant of the herd, security through authority, through seat and legs to get them move.

It is funny and strange since I am experiencing a lot pain since a couple of day, pain is burning up to neck and shoulders..Strangely I feel less pain while riding.. It is the softness of the horse movement ?

Anyway I am more than happy my life and this journey can help people,,this is the best reward !
    Élène

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    Anyway I am more than happy my life and this journey can help people,,this is the best reward !
    i am crying so much right now because you have so much wisdom.

if i ever manage to emotionally grow up, i want to be like leena.

you are grace and beauty, humility and courage.

thank you!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I've only been a lurker on this thread, but Leena has touched me deeply with her courage. Has anyone heard anything from her? She last posted that she had a dr appt last Monday, but no post since. I am hoping she is out riding instead of posting but... Just want to send some Jingles her way, and hoping the dr appt had positive outcome.

I just saw this message..

Actually I have a lot of pain and had to increase my meds to get a relief. What is really funny is when I ride, I barely feel the pain..so what do you guys think I try to do everyday...
    Fatigue is growing..The news are not good; I am scheduled for a scan to see where the disease has spread.

What can I tell you about.. I don't change anything from now

Here are a couple of pictures of my riding and you can see my nice bald head..I believe strongly that my riding is the best medicine, keeping myself away from all the drama about cancer, despite the fact I'll probably loose the battle..If I breath, if I ride, I am alive and happy to be !

This is my 3 years old greenbean Telemann
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...os/Tlmann3.jpg

With my 17 years old Canadian mare Surprise I ride occasionnally

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/007-4.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...otos/015-4.jpg

Riding again in the rain with my gray filly Shannon..I love rain..

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...photos/1-3.jpg
    Élène

Sending you only the most uplifting and positive thoughts!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Good girls !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Love love love love love LOVE reading this thread!!

Thank you!