The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1650

Thinking of you always, Leena. I hope you can enjoy a ride today.

Leena: I have been following your courageous journey with your lovely horses from here in PA, USA. You rock, ride on girl. marjorie

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Elene, I'm sorry to hear about the increase in pain. But I just have to say you have no idea how much you have inspired me and others here with this journey. In all honesty I think I might have been happy to give riding a pass until I read these wonderful posts. It brought back the joy in riding that I somehow had lost along the way. Last year I couldn't really get Abba back to working happy after jumper training. I felt so useless. The change in her this year is amazing. I'm so proud of myself for making that happen. But I always thought of you on those days when I needed a kick up the butt. You give me more than you know Elene.

Thank you,
    Terri
    I am so happy for this coming out Terry ! I believe horses has so much to give to us, so much to tell and to share.

For myself, as an example, they gave me the strenght to fight and show me how kind they are. I found that joy of riding by listenbing to them, by improving my technics and finally they are a great share of my survival.

I hope everyone have a great time riding and being around horses !
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Default RIDE ~ RIDE ~ RIDE ~

RIDE ~ RIDE ~ RIDE

WE ALL FEEL BETTER WHEN WE RIDE ~

HERE'S TO A WEEKEND OF COOOLER TEMPS ~ SUNSHINE & HORSES ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I've been reading your story, often very overcome but inspired all at the same time. I don't know what to say, but everyone has said it for me. What I do worry about is how supported you are - you mention your wonderful doctor, who else do you have around you, if that is not too much of an intrusion?

It is wonderful that you have found ways to ride and use minimum energy and make your horses so light and also safe. It is what we strive for, to have a horse light to the aids and confident. Congratulations on all you have done and achieved on this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I've been reading your story, often very overcome but inspired all at the same time. I don't know what to say, but everyone has said it for me. What I do worry about is how supported you are - you mention your wonderful doctor, who else do you have around you, if that is not too much of an intrusion?

It is wonderful that you have found ways to ride and use minimum energy and make your horses so light and also safe. It is what we strive for, to have a horse light to the aids and confident. Congratulations on all you have done and achieved on this journey.
    I have a wonderfull family and be granted to have 2 doctors in it so it is very helpfull when I cannot contact my doctor for some reasons. More importantly is I get explanations, which I know a lot of people don't really get.

My father never really understand my passion for horses and he is on the no ride side. He does not understand either my survival rate either and the fact I am right now a bit over the 5 years survival for this type of cancer.

I believe horses has a lot to do with this. The fact I develop ways to ride and educate them to be safe was an incredible journey where I learn a lot about myself, my fears, my judgement toward the horse, what I was holding inside also, everything which made me stiff in the saddle and still. I need to work on this constantly, to let me go. With the chemo, I had to learn another way to ride, I had to learn how to ride fearless.

Most of the horses spook and get tense when we are tense, stiff and inconsistant with them; that was my discovery. If we push them too much while they are not ready for it, if we are too strong, they just disconnect and try to escape. Some are more sensitive than others, some need to cooperate instead of being forced to do things.

When they are very young, I need to educate them since I won't tolerate an unsafe horse. This is a part when so many people forgive too much, don't get to face the problem and fix it. I love to do that. It does not matter for me to stand for a month until a problem is fixed, time is not a problem.

I have also learn to identify problems with saddles, problems with hooves, maybe a lot of horses can be barefoot like most of the one I own but sometimes they need to get shoes. Saddle problems are so important to point out and the difference can be feel in the next 5 minutes.

All this help me so much to forget about the disease, along with the support I get from this thread, from my closed friend and family.
    Taking care of my horses gave me a reason to live and then, writing this into that thread made me realise I was not alone having problems and being sick so I shared my way, my discoveries.
    Élène

Leena, this is classical training in a nutshell. Thank you from the depths of my soul for reminding, teaching, humbling, and inspiring us.

Thank you, you give us so much
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default Looking in on you ~ hoping this is a good day ~

Looking in on YOU ~

Hoping this is a good day ~

I had great news on one of my offspring, a nice and tall filly I sold last year as a 4 years old. She just got Reserve Champion in baby green hunter classes at International Bromont competition with her owner, a very nice 19 years old girl.

I was so proud since I bred, raised and started that filly undersaddle. Apparently she has a beautifull behavior for her first competion ever. Taking the time to raise and start them pays off.

She had a micro wolf tooth and it took 2 vets and finally a simple person found it. She had so much pain coming from that tiny tooth and could not canter on one side and could not be ridden either. The day after the tooth was taken off, I could rode her walk-trot-canter and she was a charm after.

Otherwise I rode yesterday under the heat and it went pretty good with my young grey mare. I leave the 4 years old in the pasture, having a good time..It is very hard for me to stand in this heat for more than 45 minutes I tell you.

Pain is not too bad, pretty much covered by med but I have good and bad days as everyone else. I have pain crisis almost every 2 weeks right now.

Yesterday was a good day and I take it as is, enjoyed the sun and the good ride.
    Élène

Bravo Leena. You must be so proud of your babies and your hard work. This heat is getting all of us down and it is wonderful that you are still going out and riding. Enjoy it!

Oh congratulations Leena! You should be proud--that is an amazing accomplishment that says so much about you as a horsewoman.

I'm glad yesterday was a good day, and I wish you nothing but good days in the sun with good horses.

Cool CONGRATULATIONS ! Ride on !

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! BE PROUD !!!

RIDE ON WOMAN !

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION FOR ALL !

Leena, I hope you've been outside enjoying quality time with your beautiful horses!

You're truly a wonderful inspiration for all of us; you have given all of us so much just by sharing your discoveries.

I have often thought I would like to be able to give back to you what you've given me (and all of us, I'm sure), but I hope it pleases you that I (and I'm sure others) have passed along your thoughts about riding and being a true horseperson to others not on this board. The riders and the horses are happier too!
    Last edited by tarynls; Aug. 8, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Tarynls, thanks for those words.

I rode, despite a major increased in pain, where I had to increase the long term morphine by a lot, could not reach the doctor, finally found in my sister a good expertise (she is doctor thank God)..

But I rode and young horses understood my pain, even if we had some communication problem to some extend, they did not fooled around too much.
    They made effort to understand and learn.

I really felt this last week I would not be riding anymore, the pain kept myself on the floor but with some times and ajustment, it went well finally yesterday.

The road is getting harder.

We found a nice home for our old mare Surprise, someone looking for a mare to walk in the field and care.

My grey mare felt in love with a rider in a trial so I might expect her to leave if vet check goes fine and trainer likes her.

That will leave me with only 2 young horses to ride instead of 3 which is welcome with my condition.
    Only 2 to search for good homes also.
    Élène

You have done so well. Who would have known ? Keep going girl.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You have done so well. Who would have known ? Keep going girl.
    Right ! Nobody would.

I kept marching every day, a step at the time and next thing I knew was I survive more than 5 years.
    Élène

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! Or should that be riding, riding, riding? You go girl!

Thinking of you, Leena.

You continue to amaze me, wishing you the best.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique