The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Haaaaa..

Believe it or not my hair is hanging ! Happy I did that riding because I feel so weak since..that is ok !

That grey filly is something, I agree with you Wicker. Oh yes she is trying hard..so much talent in her..I have not seen very often a horse with so much joy reflecting..She is always happy !

So again I did not change anything, just plan differently so each pieces fall at the right place. So happy my riding improvement allow me to ride despite weakness.

Thanks again for all your support my COTH friends !
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Smile

Tell me more about your gray filly, since I am now a groupie in your fan club. Please give her a treat for me!

Yes, I too love the grey filly! Glad to see you still riding and looking super in the saddle!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Leena, how are you doing? Are you getting ready for the big celebrations in Canada for July 1st???
    Sending you hugs and lots of prayers!!
    Bernie
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I feel weak..very weak and took this opportunity to address one of my biggest issues in riding..my elastic elbows..I thought I had it but in fact it was not perfect.

When I weak, I cannot pull, I cannot stay stiff and I need to rely on my greenies.

My biggest challenge these days is to get myself into one part..I found in the last 3 years I had to adress all the stiffness in myself; at 47 years old I felt so stift. A lot in the brain but stiffness in the body so slowly I have worked on this and my goal was to be able to manage and ride from the lighter pressure.

To achieve this I have looked how the dominant mare makes herself respected and how she does this, gets fully respected with just looking at a horse, or moving just one ears..

So let's get back to those elastic elbows and contact; contact is a very hard and confusing element of riding.

This week I found through my video analysis that the filly was in 4 part and so I was..So I adjust the rythm and my leg effectiveness..I discover my greenie was not forward..she is talented, mover enough, athletic, has a nice rebound but she is not forward...

Yesterday I really rode for 20 minutes and work on legs lessons; I start this last week and yesterday she caught the idea...

Through my very weak body condition, I realise how my little, sensitive and smart filly was behind the leg ! Stiffness in my elbows..any little stiffness leads to having the horse behind the legs..so lead to spooking opportunity !

Here is bit of our work yesterday after the legs lessons and how I got her nicely forward..much more into her work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2sI7W2a6U

Being aware, letting me just applying the right aids, softly but firmly, trying to be convinced though my will instead of being strong..too strong in my body.

That was my day yesterday, even if in fact I spent a lot of time resting. There was a 2 hours of energy and I used it riding..

Bernice, you stay in my prayers....!
    Élène

What a wonderful lesson...thank you for sharing. I, too, am working on this.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks for sharing the video, Leena. Happy to see the grey girl's name is Shannon! You are stronger than you think, as I also watched the video of you longing Telemann with side reins. He can be a handful! Maybe your elastic elbows are suffering from working him?
    Hang in there, dear!

Suffolk..you are so funny ! I am really mastering those elbows more than ever and I am having a real blast riding effortless.

Actually the little boy Telemann is coming along very well !

Still making my journey through all these discoveries; I am on my way to prepare the next show on july 18th, chemos or not. That will be the challenge. I am bringing Shannon and another filly. That will be fun to ride both in the crowd.

That'll be fun to just make it and see everybody.

Yesterday I got the scissors out and cut my hair very short; it was coming off so much, there was no point keeping my hair..So bald for the second time in 3 years..
    Élène

Leena,

Just wanted to say, I'm thinking about you and praying for that rabbit. I want you to know how much I admire you for continuing to live life and not letting cancer beat you.

Hugs!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Elene, it looks as if you will win the hair loss contest!! I still have half of my hair which looks fine since my hair, like yours, is so thick. The meds are to start knocking out the rest in another week and a half. The Docs told me only 5% of the patients on these drugs loose their hair and I am one of them, but if it means I am a survivor that is no big deal.

Your riding horses amazes me, you must have the strength of David when he fough Goliath--which is you fighting your cancer with God's help. I know you will have a wonderful time at the show, chemo or not, on the 18th. I have our inspection to host on sept 19th and will be on regular chemo at that time but sure plan on having the strength to do it--really its so much fun to see everyone every year, and this year will be special!!

Keep on keeping on, giving the rest of us the courage to keep fighting the nasty C!

Hugs, Bernie
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Ok last pictures with hair on ! Working my other filly by Oxford KPWN (Buurgraft/Voltaire/TB)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...a_photos/4.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...photos/1-2.jpg

Bernice,

Yes I keep on ! It does not take too much to ride..just kicking my butt and get the fillies out of the pasture.
    Hahaha ! Indeed, I feel little David trying to strike the big C.

No I have no intent to win the bald contest..I was waiting for you and now with your update report..I am not sure if I want to get into those things !

Just being better at the show will be a great gift to me !

I am sure you did just fine at your inspection in sept.
    Élène

Oh wow, what a lovely girl the Oxford filly is. Look forward to hearing how you do at your show coming up on the 18th.

What a wonderful group of younsters you have!

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Elene...

Your filly is SO gorgeous.

You are so... just so amazing. You are so beautiful. Your young horses are so amazing...

I am praying for you SO HARD tonight. You have taught me so much. So much aobout dressage, and equitation, and LIFE.

You MUST win this one my friend.

You are challenging my very Faith.

I am so humbled. Please know you are *so* close in my heart and in my prayers. You are my Hero and my Inspiration.

Stay strong my friend. You have taught me more about Dressage than 30+ years of 'trainers.'

I don't have the words..
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Well Thanks for my filly Orla ! She has been on rest for 2 months, grew, lost 4 teeth and now back in training since a month..This filly lack of balance, she is very powerfull from behind so lack of suppleness.
    She is a very sweet mare, very laid back and when she is with the rider, nothing exist anymore.

When I got back on riding in 1995, after a long break for my studies and working downtown Montreal, so when I found a nice place in the country and got back on horses, I felt so uncoordinated, so stiff..
    At that time, this lead me to not so pleasant ride..Then I met a good dressage instructor and began my new back in the saddle time.

Now still my connection with my left side is not that good even if I see good improvement so that obvious on right lead, I have problems. I know, I agree and I think more on that side to avoid being crooked.

While working this winter on the confidence of my aids, I mentally work on being anchor to the saddle and slowly I am in the procedd to get back myself into one, and magically the horse brings himself into one part. I am totally amazed all the time how influencal we are to the horse, how our stifness, lack of confidence, fears are blocking us from having a great time and how our horses feels so strange having to deal with someone like this.

Riding many horses through all those years is always putting myself at a loss at the beginning because none of them will totally react the same way. While the principles remains the same, the feeling will not simply because every horse is a story, they have their issues too !

But one thing won't change when you master the confidence in your aids; I really understand that basics, discipline, authority remains the same and horse then will react to this and show you his personnality, his own reaction..Then I have to deal with this.

Through my disease, I have learned my best friend is time, that quality of time is the most important things, baby steps and let the horse think about what happen..especially greenies. In between two seances, they think about what happen and we I do wrong, well next time they will tell me and ask for improvement from me.
    I may have the right to ride and work with them but also I need to endorse my responsabilites to provide them a nice experience, a nice ride.

Jus my pieces of thoughts this morning.
    Élène

Elene, you have a wonderful deep understanding of horses and horsemanship which really makes you the special rider you have become. As you prove, it takes a lot of thought to get to the point where you have accomplished so much.

Keep it up girl!!

By the way, where is Leena? What is she doing now? My Selle Francais, Hana Floria, was just diagnosed with cushings at only 15 years of age!! Another shocker!! She may be pre cushings but it is starting, the blood tests were 50.4 for her and the high is 35. Hope your Leena is doing better!

Oh Talloaks, this is too bad for the beautifull Hana Flora....

Leena is doing great with her new owner; I sold her at my first year of cancer, 3 years ago now and her actual owner is doing dressage with a lot of success. She totally in love with the mare, does cross training and trails too.

This woman is a real amateur back in the saddle for about 4 years now and I am quite pleased she enjoyed Leena so much. Her husband, a true beginner bought our Canadian horse Panthère and he is having a lot of fun with him. So I feel blessed I did a good job with both so truly amateur can ride them safely.

It is fun to see they keep in touch with us so I have regular news and can see them on show ground every year !
    Élène

Great news on Leena and Panthère!! It is wonderful when the new owners keep us breeders up to date with photos and videos!! Best of all when you can see them at the shows. You do a wonderful job of training if true amateurs can ride your babies!! Way to go!!

Geez you two, I hate getting misty eyed at the end of the day. I have my own young horses and when I'm on my 4yo I am always thinking of this thread and thinking about how you cope while teaching your babies so many important life lessons. I'm up there cursing my lack of fitness and then say to myself "so what, who cares you are lucky and do right by your horses and stop whinging."

Simply amazing. And I too love when I get updates on horses I've sold as I know I've done a good job and at least that horse has a great chance in life. One of my most consistent callers is a guy I just sold a 2yo TB racehorse to. He keeps calling to say he can't believe what an amazing little horse he is and how well mannered he is. I just really hope her wins some races for the guy because he clearly loves him and I know after racing he will have a good home too.

Thanks for today's inspiration!

Terri

Well my friends, I think the rabbit is starting to kick..

I have a great energy, went yesterday for the chemo and actually this early morning I was on my backing works with my 3 yrs old and was able to give a ride to our old mare..

Watch me out at the show !!!
    Élène

I just found this thread and loved watching your video and seeing the photos of you riding your horses.

Wishing you all the best with that rabbit!

Happy Trails~
    Joyce