The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1638

Horses are where I lose myself & I find myself. A life without horses is not living ...

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey girl; I'm so pleased that you have found such comfort with the horses.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Hoping you have a big fluffy snowfall by Christmas so you can go out and play with those gorgeous horses of yours!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Élène,

Always good to hear your updates - thinking good thoughts for you. Have fun in the snow!
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Leena,

I'm 2 1/2 years post diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer so I can empathize. My mare and I did our surgery recovery together- her colic surgery & my hysterectomy. I've been on hormone suppression therapy thus far but chemo is the next step. You've taken a weight off my heart that I'll still be able to escape to the barn when I have to start chemo.

In my own journey, I've found a few things that may make your cold winter a bit more bearable. Sunbeam makes an electric throw blanket that can go in the washing machine. It's a great help on days when I'm just visiting the barn & not up to riding. Also, if you haven't tried it, ask your MD about OxyContin. It's a time release opiate that might help manage the pain without losing so much time to sleep or the count down to the next dose. It's either an 8 or 12 hour release so if it helps, you can get a longer window of peace.

Thanks again for sharing your story and helping me to be a bit less fearful of the path we're traveling.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    I choose to find happy moments, to make my like full of colors, laugh and interesting to live.
    Leena, I chose to quote this from your last post because THIS is what you have taught me - to live an interesting life full of laughter! Not to mention all your advice about riding - to feel the horse, it makes riding so much easier and I know my horse is happier!

So... I will say a great, big THANK YOU for sharing your wisdom with not only me, but all of us here. We will be here with you forever, and you'll be in our hearts forever.

Taryn

Gamare, I am really sorry to read about your journey and so happy mine can make a difference in yours.

Be with your horse, make yourself a discipline, anything ! But some things you will stick to it, a kind of routine and maybe you will be pleasently surprised, as I was.

I am on hydromorph contains, anti-inflammatories, and also Neurotin which helps for neuropathic pain. I have also the Dilaudid for a fast relief. So far I don't complain, all those meds together make my life better.

It has been a week or 2 now and my horses are bored. They come in a fast pace toward me every morning, asking for a hug, a big kiss on the nose. I scratch their neck, cheeks and they stand quiet and peacefull.
    Drakkar often stand alone and look at the ring..

We had some rain after the snow so turned every thing into mud for a few days. Now temperature will lower again as the week comes. I am waiting for the snow to ride again and don't know how many days I'll have to wait.

Thanks so much again for the marvelous words from your replies; it is truly appreciated and help me to continue this journey !
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

4 members found this post helpful.

It has been a week or 2 now and my horses are bored. They come in a fast pace toward me every morning, asking for a hug, a big kiss on the nose. I scratch their neck, cheeks and they stand quiet and peacefull.
    Drakkar often stand alone and look at the ring..
    You have a great way with words- even though not your first language- maybe it is truer that way, especially the comment about Drakkar- poignant.

Default Let it SNOW !!! Ride on !!!

Let it SNOW !!!!! Ride on !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Happy Monday to all of you !

There is a little snow storm with icy rain going on right now in our aera so I have no plan to take the road for today.

Following the changes on webshots, I thought about creating a blog and found wordpress as a good site to start with.

So on my signature, you will find my blog adress. It is a work in progress and actually I am trying to write my story, when it began, what happened in these very early days of my journey.

The blog is in french and I believe this can be translated while you are reading; please let me know if it does or not.
    French being my first language, it is easier for me to narrate my story.

I am actually trying to learn all the possibility wordpress offers on their site; the pictures will come later and the text will change as my memory comes up. This is my winter project.
    Élène

4 members found this post helpful.

I want to follow your blog but I had French in junior high back umpteen years ago. Some tech-saavy person needs to lead me to the translation app or program!

Thanks. Y'all stay warm.

Pru

How very eloquently you write, Elene. It seems as though Panthere was just the horse you needed at that time. I shall enjoy following your blog.

Valerie

C'est une histoire magnifique! très bien écrite et pleine d'émotions. Panthère understood you needed him so much.
    I am willing to help translate if you need it.

Thanks so much ! I have a lot of fun writing my story on this blog right now ! So much souvenirs are coming back in my mind..

I can translate myself but I thought there might be a program available somewhere to translate ?

Panthère was definitely the best horse for me at this time, for sure ! We had him castrated at 3 years old because the changes in my situation but at the beginning I thought he would stay and become our stallion to start our breeding program into the Canadian Horse.

He was so handsome, quiet and rideable as a stallion ! Also he loved the crowd, loved to show. When I brought him to show later on at 4 years old, he was so funny, looking at the crowd and so proud to be there, he would just lift a bit his neck !

I sold him to a novice rider and the guy loved him to death. Unfortunately he was putted down at 7 years old since he was diagnostic with a cancer himself in the jaw.
    No one could know or could tell he was in pain; he was training level 2 dressage with no sign of pain. The owner found the problem accidentaly when a tooth abcess surged; at the xray, the vet found he had barely no more jaw bone on one side !

Such a sad story for an outstanding horse.
    Élène

No, please write in French - I will find a translation app this weekend.

Panthere was a Canadian (not Canadian warmblood) breed of horse? I know of a half-Canadian half-Arab mare here in California who is a 100 mile horse.

Yes Prudence, Panthère was a pure bred Canadian horse.

I think that character comes from the dam, not only his sire since we bred this mare to an hanoverian and the same character came out, same same behaviour, same softness despite really strong body.

The mare, also pure bred Canadian horse gave us Domingo (Dr. Pepper, han), Shannon, the joyfull grey mare (Krusader, trak.) and the last one is Drakkar (Dr.Pepper)
    Élène

I am so sad that Panthere had to be put down. Such a beautiful horse.
    I like the looks of the Canadian, but every.single.one I met has been a PITA. Not to be trusted at all. Obviously, lineage, training and rider make a big difference and I am glad to see that there are some diamonds in that breed.
    Glad you have something to look forward to this winter! I loved the beginning of your story and wanted to shake the doctors... that an individual does not recognize the symptoms of OC... but doctors... same thing happened to my husband's aunt in Ottawa...

My dad gave the doctor a call, especially the urologist; probably this one did not sleep well for a couple of days.

Later on, I learn that my regular doctor, a gp, suffered himself of a brain cancer so he was probably not well, his diagnostic also in the last months he practiced.

Everything was in place for a wrong diagnostic and this is exactly what happen.

So what could I do ? My 2 arms fell apart. The only way to forget about all this was to move forward. As soon as we got the scan, the good diagnostic, then I found the good doctor and the good treatment.

From all this, I keep in mind how I make things right for me, how horses's contribution help me to maximise my survival.
    I am already over 5 years of survival which break the statistics so far.
    Élène

I am already over 5 years of survival which break the statistics so far
    This is miraculous.,

I hope you continue to have more miracles.

In the latest "Look Good Feel Better" magazine I was reading in the waiting room for my radiation treatment last month, there was story of a woman who has survived 20 years + after OC. There is hope!!! You have the benefit of the horses! What a bonus!!

2 members found this post helpful.