The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1630

Every time I ride my sensitive mare I think "What would Leena do?" You ride with me
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Elene -I was both happy and sad reading that your mare has found a home and the grey filly hopefully a new one. I'm sure it is hard for you to let them go.
    I continue to be amazed at the strength you have to fight thru the pain and continue to ride and work with your horses. It has always been clear to me that horses can provide so many benefits to their people, but it does take two and your drive to be with them is unbelievable.

Hugs from the deep south...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Leena, I just wanted to say that I've learned this (among many other things) from you:

Never pass up an opportunity to ride, because truly, not one of us knows how many rides in the sun we have left.

Leena, you have been and continue to be an inspiration to all of us. I am hoping for pain free days of riding and enjoying life. You have given us all a great gift.

Hi everyone,

So my grey mare will be leaving in september, the new owner is going to ride her several times at my place and I'll be doing my dressage final in level 1 at the end of august.
    She is doing awesome right now ! I cannot believe how the new saddle and training brought her to such an marvelous shape.
    She is so closed to do the 2nd level, it is incredible.

My old mare is doing really well too, awesome with the rider who bought her and the woman is such a green rider.

My young Drakkar is improving and really went into a new state of mind, understanding the leg and other aids, getting more straight, more steady. I was really happy yesterday when I rode him.

With this young and robust guy, I need to put my hands really low for a more effective control of his shoulders. My hands needs to be like they were side reins almost, very quiet and low so I work only with my weight, seat and legs aids.

In december, his left shoulder was popping out but now, it change to the right shoulder ! So something positive is happening here ! I had fun to ride him on very large circles and turn him as a boat, very straight with both hands but moving only the shoulders. And then, trying a smaller circle just with moving the shoulders so he would really use his rear end to do it. From right to left, it was more difficult for him. A small tap with the whip on the popping shoulder helped here.

We worked on more fluid transitions with half halt from my seat in the transition and using my legs quickly after my HH, since he is so quick to respond to my blocking seat. I did not cantered cause the footing was slippery.

We had a big thunderstorm that killed the ring and left it with no more sand so yeaterday hubby order a truck load and did the ring; I can't wait to try the new footing since it was so hard yesterday and slippery.

Last week I had someone coming to check for their talent at jumping, for both Drakkar and Dynamite. It end up Drakkar is very scopey at jumping so we had an offer to train him as a jumper project. We are still thinking about this.

Here is picture of Dynamite, the bay mare and Drakkar, the grey gelding in action.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8050949233.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8051006282.jpg

In august 5th it was my birthday..52 years old and I had such a big pain crisis. We had to increase Hydromorphine long action by 24 mg a day to get that pain under control plus 6 to 12 mg Dilaudid. Since it is ok but I feel more tireless, so it is more kikking my butt to ride.

I am also going to sign some forms to get some help at home from our medical service in our region. Since they have a long waiting list so I better to sign in right now to get the help when needed.

That is about it for the update !
    Last edited by Leena; Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Leena - It was amazing to read about your work w/ the low hands and shoulder control. Though she's not all that green, I have to ride my mare this way, as she LOVES to pop that right shoulder. I have to constantly tell her that there is a difference between giving in the ribs and popping a shoulder. And yes we are doing boat corners also!

Glad you will get to do the Level 1 final before your mare goes to her new home - GOOD LUCK!!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

What a nice update about the horses! I hope your show goes well. Thank goodness the weather has cooled off a bit. We needed rain, but not the bad thunder storms. I've had some minor damage here from one of them.

I hope you are enjoying these lovely warm evenings for riding.

Valerie

Thinking of you always Leena!
    So great that you are still riding and enjoying your horses. So sad about the pain.
    Best wishes to you!

I try to optimize my good days, the minimum into a maximum.

With the new rise of morphine, obviously, I feel more dizzy and tireless than before.

But I try to make every moment a good one.
    Élène

Continued good wishes to you and your family. You are a true inspiration.

Default Jingles & AO for more RIDES in the Sunshine ~ ((hugs))

Jingles & AO for more rides in the sunshine ~ ((hugs))
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Leena, you continue to amaze and inspire me
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Another pain crisis hitted me for several days now so I had to cancel the last show of the season since I could not imagine myself showing in such difficult moments.

Yesterday, feeling a bit better so I rode the grey mare and one of the youngster. The price was to support more pain during the evening and the night but I have not given up on life yet.

The good thing with riding mares is the fact they are so sensitive so riding is effortless.
    Élène

Oh Leena, hang in there! Thanks for the words about mares; we have one and we sometimes forget about how different she is from geldings in good ways!

Almost fall and the cool weather will be here before we know it.

So sorry you had to cancel that last show, and that the pain is building on you. It's good to hear that your ladies look after you so you can still enjoy the ride.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Keeping you in my prayers for more pain free days and riding opportunities. As well as for many cherished moments spent with your family. We all love you Leena, hang in there.

Leena:
    Mares are so special. They do seem to 'know" things and seem to help us out.

Whether you are showing or not, or riding or not, or feeling like doing much of anything but just being in that moment, you are with me each time I see my horses. I promised myself that I would take the extra moment for that extra ear scratch, that extra bit of attention, that honestly, I had lost sight of much of it in the quest for getting ready for shows and training and balancing that with work, etc.

And, I do try to keep you in mind when riding always too. To listen more carefully to the horse. And, to pay more attention to how I am as well. While I in no way can compare my near 50ish "aches and pains" to your situation and never would, I have learned to acknowledge how my body is on that day and let the horse help me work with it rather than us both working against it. It is amazing how they horse will help you, espcially mares!

Take care Leena
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

Leena, I am so glad you found time to write a message to let us know how you are. I am so sorry that pain and fatigue are worse, but am so glad you still are able to ride. You continue to inspire and amaze us all!
    hugs,
    Jeanie
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Leena, thinking of you as always.
    We all look forward to summer, but when it's been as hot and dry as it's been up here, we are all looking forward to Fall. The heat is so tiring, and combined with pain, must be so exhausting for you.

Take care Leena!

Leena,

God bless you. You are in my prayers. Keep safe. RH