The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beach Riding Trip in NC,SC,GA or FLA where I can bring my horses

My DH and I would like to go to the beach this summer. We were thinking it would be fun to bring our two horses for a different adventure. However, most of the places I can find only allow you to bring horses in the off season. Does anyone know of a place we can go in July and bring 2 horses?

There is a place in savannah ga. but I can't remember the name right now. Its right on the beach. I'll check to see if I can find it later.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Not in July, but the American Heart Assocation is having their annual Ride-A-Thon in Myrtle Beach, SC this November.

It's a five day beach camping trip with the most amazing, rowdy, fun horsemen EVER.

Thanks for the tips. I did not try Savannah yet. Jack and Mo, I saw that trip advertised but cannot go. It sounds like a great time! Maybe next year!

I was wondering this too.

I know there's a beach in Charleston, SC.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, SC. I believe they only allow horses during the off season though (Labor Day to Memorial Day)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    My DH and I would like to go to the beach this summer. We were thinking it would be fun to bring our two horses for a different adventure. However, most of the places I can find only allow you to bring horses in the off season. Does anyone know of a place we can go in July and bring 2 horses?
    Nowhere near me. Public beaches are only open to horseback riding from the first of Nov through the end of Feb around here.

I checked the website for Inlet Point Plantation for you - since they're a private beach I thought they might let you come during the season with your horses. But no. They only allow people to bring their own horses from Sept through April.

There is a nice b&b or you can rent the cottage the b&b owners have on the Chesapeake Bay, Eastern Shore in Va. It's called Windrush. Here is a couple of pictures of my mare and I enjoying the bay. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/...16cc0a639b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/...6d27147416.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/...bbafc26b10.jpg

Check this document. Perhaps you can find a place that will work for you. It's something I put together for the Virginia Horse Council a year or so ago.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are lots of beaches in Florida that allow horseback riding year round. Will try to give you some specifics. Believe Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra Beach, Areas of St. Augustine. Also some on West Coast, (Bradenton) also Panhandle, but with the oil spill might want to stick with East Coast.

Thanks everyone! I will check out the places listed. Keep them coming!

In the Titusville Florida there is a beach (Playalinda Beach) where you can ride the horses (going North away from the crowds). You need to call ahead so the guards open thetrailer parking area, use a specific bridge to walk over the dune flora/fauna and ignore (or talk to) the (sometimes nude ) beach dwellers. Must pick up horse poop too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/playalinda-beach-titusville
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post
    Check this document. Perhaps you can find a place that will work for you. It's something I put together for the Virginia Horse Council a year or so ago.
    Just FYI, Sea Horse Farms on Hilton Head Island, SC closed down several years ago when horses were outlawed from the beach. There is no longer any beach riding on Hilton Head.

ETA- There is a place on Daufuskie Island that offers beach riding, but you cannot take your own horse as you have to take a ferry to get to the island.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate