The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Losing My Passion

What do you do when you feel yourself losing the joy, passion and excitement about your riding discipline? Push through it, take a break, or try something new?

Said the horse to his rider at the base of the five foot oxer.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Yikes! Fortunately I don't jump anymore... but am considering going back to it! Maybe not LOL.

The title was Nevermind... but I guess you changed your mind..

So what is your discipline and why is it so not joyful?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    What do you do when you feel yourself losing the joy, passion and excitement about your riding discipline? Push through it, take a break, or try something new?
    I'm taking a break now from showing/lessons/heavy schooling, going through the same thing you are (working a ton and having little riding time isn't helping). I'm just enjoying my horse for what he is, my stress reliever. And imagine that, our rides have been a LOT better now that I don't expect much from him anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I should also mention, the expenses are starting to get to me. My horse is for sale and I'm most likely not going to buy a new one right away. There are a lot of other things I'm finally interested in (imagine that, I never thought I'd want to do anything other than ride LOL!), from new hobbies to going back to school to putting money away for retirement.

I'm kind of at a crossroads and just wanted to hang with some horse friends about it, since my bf and family aren't much help.

Well, it's hard to give up something that's been a part of your life.

Horses have a way of become a part of you, and the thought of giving up horses would be upsetting to some degree for most horse people.

I know I have considered getting out of horses. I would never get rid of my semi-retired 21 yr old Perch/Morgan but I have my younger OTTB up for sale and I guess I'm feeling disheartened by it all. New horses not working out and my wonderful old guy is just not up to it any more. It's a bit depressing. I wish I could make him 10 years younger. It's hard because everything I ride gets compaired to Conner. Makes me want to cry and I get very depressed when I work with the old guy and realize that he just can't do it anymore. I'm 58 and can't quite picture never having a horse in my life but I don't have it in my right now to "shop".
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Quote Originally Posted by Percheron X View Post
    So what is your discipline and why is it so not joyful?
    I ride Saddle Seat, but upon thinking more about it, I'm not sure if it's the discipline or the expenses or the time or what. I'm just ready for a break I think. Sigh.

I never thought I'd EVER want to not have a horse. I've fought tooth and nail my entire life to have a horse, have sacrificed everything because it's been such a driving passion for me, and I feel almost devastated that I no longer have that love for it anymore. I almost feel the way I did when I started pondering divorcing my (now ex) husband. Like a terrible decision has to be made...

I guess I just need to remind myself that it's not permananent, that if I sell my horse I can still ride, and I can still buy a new one. It's not the end.

But if it is - it's like losing a limb or something. It's depressing to me.

You can always find some way to have a horse in your life, even if you don't own one.

Maybe you could think of it as a horseless trial period rather than "wanting" to not have a horse.

Just out of curiosity... Is there a third party pressuring you to become horseless? Non horse people sometime pressure horse people to part with their horses.... and this has been known to create all sorts of conflicting feelings in horse people.

Just thought I'd through that out there....

Do something totally different, either with same horse or a different one. Sometimes just a change of scenery can make a difference. It is possible though, that you may just be ready for a brief time away from horses. Have you had a visit with a Doctor to rule out any need for mood improving drugs?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Percheron X View Post
    Just out of curiosity... Is there a third party pressuring you to become horseless? Non horse people sometime pressure horse people to part with their horses.... and this has been known to create all sorts of conflicting feelings in horse people.

Just thought I'd through that out there....
    Nope. Ironically, for the first time in my life, I have a supportive man LOL.

Take up jogging and bring your horse along on a lead like a dog. Nobody can define your relationship with your horse

Perhaps horses were a "substitute" relationship for you when you previously felt unsupported.... and now that there is support in your life, the strong horse bond is no longer what you need as you build trust in your relationship.... but it's still hard to let go of horses because they had become a source of stability for you.

....has to be a Freudian twist to this somehow....

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Is there any way you can afford to give yourself a horse break without selling?

Lease? Pasture board?

We all have seasons in our lives. Sometimes we just don't have the energy for passion. That's ok. That's what winter is for. It's to hunker down, bundle up, sleep a lot and heal.

And, in my experience, we NEED that downtime now and again. MOST especially if there have been big life changes.

Change is ok too. I was really down on my riding at one point, and took up something different. Went from never having jumped my guy, to preparing for our first tiny-little-tadpole Combined Event. Had a BLAST. Right now we're exploring our inner hunter princess--and I include His Princeness & the Pea in the 'we.' Both of us needed a change right now.

So maybe you just want to trail ride? Or drive? Or not ride at all...

It's OK.

BUT, don't make an irreversible decision like selling, unless you are very sure it's what you want.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

i can relate..i just went through the same thing...im regretting it now,but thats a whole nother storey.i ended up taking almost 3 yrs off.i would suggest that if you decide to take some time off that it not be as long as i did.

Sounds like expense and trainer related ~ especially at this point in the show season.???? Enthusiasm should be high June .....July.... August... September.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

The best thing I ever did was to walk away from the show scene for a couple of months (a year actually). Trail rode, took my A/O mare to work cattle (and believe it or not, she LOVED every minute of it), dabbled with some natural horsemanship (and yes, I picked and chose what I wanted to do).... it was amazing...for both her and I
    Plus, had moved her to a super nice but quieter farm where the care was much less expensive even though it was more individualized... she loved it there.
    Even now that I am back to showing... My new mare is in that type of environment... tons of turnout, trails once or twice a week, doing a hunter pace next weekend.... it's great for their minds... and it did wonders for my soul!
    Good luck... not always easy!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I went through this for awhile. I quit showing and taking lessons and really working him. Instead I'd go up, groom him, turn him out, and just hang out. Sometimes I'd hop on bareback or go for trail rides. I was just burned out. We have switched disciplines and we're enjoying it but we try and take more time off now
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations