The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half Chaps

It's been a sad day...my custom half chaps have finally died after a long run of 8 years. I am looking for a pair of half chaps to ride in until I can get a new pair of custom ones made. I don't want them to be super expensive since I am buying another custom pair, but would like them to be nice and durable so that they will last the next few months and I can wear them in the future if it is raining/muddy etc.

So does anyone have any particular half chaps that they really like? Thanks for the help!

I have the Tredstep Trimlines - LOVE them because they fit so well and they have lasted over 2 years with no problems. They are around $150, I think, but I'm sure you can find them on sale somewhere, or on eBay.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

The Ariat Classic II are nice =) They've upgraded but I don't know what III is like... Mine finally are about to bite the dust after a two years But it's not really a surprise considering how much I abuse them.

I like my suede tredsteps. I bought them to replace my suede Dublins, which I would still have if they came tall enough to properly fit me. The Dublins are less than $40 and last quite a while. They just don't have the sizing options that Tredstep offers.

I have the ovation leather Pro ribbed half chaps. About $70 and I ride everyday atleast for the last few months. They're holding up great! I higly recommend them

For ones just until you get new customs, I second the Ovations leather ones. I had them awhile ago when I was just half leasing but I loved them and they lasted me for 3-4 years.

If you REALLY want a cheap pair, I have some Ovation Amchara (Amara? something like that) suede ones that I got on ebay new for like 20 bucks. They're machine washable and actually look really good for as cheap as they are... my trainer commented that they looked like customs from a distance, I just laughed, since they're $20 chaps! Mine are black with a light blue piping, have spanish tops, and so far have held up great. You can find them for $20-35 all the time online. These are the ones I have:

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER01016

I like the Ariat Cameo half chaps. That model is a few years old and I'm pretty sure Dover has them on closeout. They've held up great and I get compliments on how well they fit

i second the dublins for a good cheapie pair!

they fit me perfectly and stand up to a LOT of abuse. mine were starting to tear at the seams after a few years of use, and i was gifted a pair of treadsteps (which i also really like!), otherwise i would have bought a second pair of dublins!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I recently got the Ariat Breeze half chaps. I like them bec they zip from the top down and have no suede --- just a stretchy panel and very soft leather. Just under $100. Or you can always look on eBay. I got a nice soft leather pair of Tredsteps on eBay for under $40 a few years ago but they are sooo soft that they roll when I don't zipper them when I'm not wearing them!