The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To my fellow plus size riders out there ...

I only show little local shows every now and then ... Would it be a total no-no to show in a blazer instead of an actual coat? I'm just trying to re-put together my show stuff for now and will up the ante if I really get back into it ... Wha'ts everyone think?
    R.I.P. Barbaro
    Good luck Nicanor & Lentenor !

What do "little local shows" look like in your area? Either way, I would say "no" to riding in a blazer. At local shows in some areas, I have seen people riding in just show shirts w/o "actual coats". At local shows in other areas, you might as well be at an A rated show. Is it possible for you to find a less expensive coat to show in? Maybe one on clearance or something b/c of its not-as-popular size?

Read the prize list. They usually tell you what type of attire is expected. In theory if it says something like neat, clean lesson attire you should not be judged as being less turned out in a polo shirt, breeches, belt and boots then someone in full show attire but it doesn't always work that way 100%. I show in polos almost exclusively but also have one of those "fancy" breathable, under armour like show shirts that have a half zipper in the front. I like the polos better unless its stinking hot out.

They make every bit of show clothes in plus sizes, all the way up to shadbellies. Buy a real coat. If you decide not to keep showing, you can always sell it on eBay.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I have a Rubenesque friend who shows in a blazer, but she did alterations so that it looks pretty much exactly like a hunt coat. For her it was a financial issue, not a size issue (she knew she could buy a plus-sized hunt coat, but it was cost prohibitive).

You don't say whether you show hunters or dressage.

For hunters, it might look goofy. The construction of the lapels is different (short). The riding coats close up above the breast, and they are all double vented. So no, a blazer would look nothing like a hunt coat.

For dressage, I don't know. A blazer might be a little bit closer to form...those coats have a single vent.

I wouldn't. They're just not cut the same - length, vents, lapels, etc. If you don't want to buy one right now, go with a nice polo or just a show shirt. FWIW, I found my plus size jacket at Equestrain Collections for about $50.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Go with a less expensive coat designed for the sport.
    Any blazer meant for street wear will not allow you the freedom of movement you need for riding.
    Especially the shoulder seams & armholes will not be comfortable and may well rip.

Check out the synthetics at Dover or State Line. Or shop Ebay.
    I have a decent synthetic I bought nearly 20 years ago that is still quite wearable and it was under $100 then.

You can upgrade to lightweight wool if you keep showing or when budget allows.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

What sport, what size? I have a 16 or so dressage coat I could lend.

In most dressage schooling shows you can get by with a polo(tucked in)
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

ditto the what size/discipline question. I might be able to help.

I *have* shown in men's dress jacket from Goodwill or Salvation Army, that a friend added a button to. The key is it was already cut correctly in that the first button was high (there are many different styles) to begin with. It also had a single vent, which is ok for both dressage & low level hunters, but not entirely correct.

Ages ago I showed in a *nice* black blazer, that again, had correct lapels. A very gifted seamstress put a vent in it.

So it *can* be done.

But you can also find some good deals in plus sizes on Ebay, and a few other consignment shops that are on the web.

FWIW, my dressage frock is going on 20 years old and is my absolute "go to" for funerals, interviews, court, etc. And my hunter jacket has been worn to several interviews and an award ceremony, but hasn't actually seen a Horse Show yet. A GOOD jacket is worth an investment.

Robin at thecollectiononlinestore.com often has some sale coats around $50-70 which are worth double or triple that amount, in wonderfully flattering plus sizes. Both dressage & hunters.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

CSSporthorses- PM me with your size. I may have something to loan you for a bit. I am in PA but work in Wilmington, DE or I can ship.
    I think I have a dressage and 2 hunt coats. Let me know and maybe we can work something out. If the dressage one works you could keep that one.