The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That is so very sad

Quote Originally Posted by moe larry curly View Post
    This is heartbreaking. It puts all other problems in life and this sport into perspective. Deepest sympathies to his family. The thoughts and prayers of the racing community are with you
    So well said...My prayers too are with the family....

Well it appears that the riders at Philly are teaming up in hopes of making much needed change. Read what one rider posted at Paulick just yesterday.

"philly park rider Says:
    June 2nd, 2010 at 9:50 pm
    the accident happend around 6:20 am. The “ambulance crew had no idea how to preform a tracheotomy. he was basically drowining in his own blood. The police officer that first arrived had to preform it. The “ambulance crew” at philadelphia park is not emt certified and cannot even drive the ambulance off of the grounds. The officer ended up leaving his car on the horspath and drove the bensalem ems ambulance to the hospital so the trained technitions could work on him. It is a completel shame. Me and fellow excercise riders are teaming up with our fellow jockeys to get this fixed. we should not have untrained personnel caring for us when we get injured. We have to wait for bensalem ems to come and care for us. this will not be left alone. We will fight this until we get the protection we need to have a fighting chance to at least survive. I knew mario fairly well. He rode with my father in garden state park and atlantic city in the early 90s. My condolences to his family and he will be greatly missed by all at the philly park backside"

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ex...adelphia-park/

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
    Well it appears that the riders at Philly are teaming up in hopes of making much needed change. Read what one rider posted at Paulick just yesterday.

"philly park rider Says:
    the accident happend around 6:20 am. The “ambulance crew had no idea how to preform a tracheotomy. he was basically drowining in his own blood. The police officer that first arrived had to preform it. The “ambulance crew” at philadelphia park is not emt certified and cannot even drive the ambulance off of the grounds. The officer ended up leaving his car on the horspath and drove the bensalem ems ambulance to the hospital so the trained technitions could work on him. It is a completel shame. Me and fellow excercise riders are teaming up with our fellow jockeys to get this fixed. we should not have untrained personnel caring for us when we get injured. We have to wait for bensalem ems to come and care for us. this will not be left alone. We will fight this until we get the protection we need to have a fighting chance to at least survive. I knew mario fairly well. He rode with my father in garden state park and atlantic city in the early 90s. My condolences to his family and he will be greatly missed by all at the philly park backside"

Oh no! I was afraid there was more to the story. When I was stabled at Pimlico an exercise rider was killed mere feet from my barn. The lack of skill on the part of the EMT's was criminal. They did not even know how to turn on the oxygen bottle. She laid there for 45 minutes while waiting for a "real" EMT crew to show up while two trainers performed CPR. I am not sue happy but if I had been her family member the lawsuit would have been filed that afternoon. Godspeed.

It's simply amazing that there are not proper safety measures in place for the rider or horse at some of these bush tracks. It's quite unbelievable actually.

"philly park rider Says:

This is truly heartbreaking. It is also infuriating. The head of the PTHA (Mike Balezzi) is a trained lawyer, which means that by nature he sniffs out and addresses potential liability and human error. This incident happened under his watch, and given the lack of medical response infrastructure, was going to occur eventually. Shame on the PTHA for not protecting its horsepeople, and shame on track management for not giving a crap (per the usual).

The ambulance attendants in my experience have always been bad. I have been carted off a few times. BUT mostly they are so bad that IF I can get up and can walk, I will get myself to the hospital one way or another and skip the track "employees."
    I have walked off the track with significant upper body breaks because of the less than stellar "help" at the racetracks of America.
    I was hauled off of the track at Hollywood a few years. I know I tried to get up but couldn't. I have no recollection if they transfered me to a real ambulance or not prior to leaving the grounds. Seems to me the staff in S Cal are able to give us a lift to the hospital.
    Clearly, the risks we take daily are way too high to have someone sitting in an ambulance who can't do the job to an acceptable level.

Lovely tribute to Mario by Paulick. And there are now more ways to help his family:

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/go...mbering-mario/

"philly park rider Says:

It's too bad that Dick Hertz is based at Penn National. He could really sink his teeth into the truly despicable way things are run at The Pha. Management of Greenwood Racing, comprised of British bookmakers, does not give a damn about anything except slot machines, so it is no wonder that these inadequate safety measures are in place. They've cut corners in just about every manner possible on the racing side of things, while spending boatloads of cash on their slots parlor. The backstretch is just as corrupt as Penn National's, maybe even more, if that's possible. The only thing lacking at Philly is a guy like Darrel Delahoussaye, although if one were to probe, a few might emerge. Even the Dept. of Environmental Protection is on Greenwood's butt, putting out a press release stating that they have ignored for 10 years DEP's orders to stop polluting the Neshaminy Creek. Check this out:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...10942&typeid=1

Not that it makes it right but I believe it is the norm that the track ambulance can not transport. Definitely something that needs to be changed in my opinion but it needs to be changed everywhere. I am sure it has something to do with the licensing of the ambulance. I am an EMT and all our ambulances are rated ALS but their actual status of BLS or ALS depends upon the level of training of the personel on board. Just a guess but I bet track ambulances aren't rated at all hence the reason they are unable to transport.

Default 'Bye Mario

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Very similar to the accident that killed trainer Del Carroll sr at Churchill 30+ years ago.

Condolances to his family...RIP
    Yes, it sounds very similar....I can't believe it's been that long since Del Sr. left. Long story - but I ended up with one of his horses after he passed on (there were owners in between, etc.). She was a horse of a lifetime - she could play polo and do the H/J circuits.

Mario, gallop on! We're all thinking of you and your family.

Everyone please give what you can to the fund - even a few dollars adds up.

Hallie