The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking OMG! The best barn fragrance ever!

New hay in the barn. I wish someone would figure out a way to bottle that fragrance!

I took some of the hay that always gets dropped when the guys were stacking it and put 4 piles in the barnyard for when my 2 horses came in from pasture. They came in as I was putting the piles down and didn't go back out for real grass. That's how good this is and it's only a grass hay, not alfalfa or anything. But it's a lovely soft grass hay. They scarfed down every little morsel too.

We've had a lovely early and dry spring so the farmers were able to get in and cut hay a good week or 2 earlier than usual. Considering the last 2 springs and summers and falls have been super wet and hard for them to cut and cure hay, I think this year they all were out "making hay when the sun was shining"!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default I'd buy that!

And use it as air freshener in my house

Even if it's last years hay it still smells great when it fills the empty pallets in my barn.

My hayguy just cut his first field yesterday and will be baling today.
    We had a totally rotten Spring
    Cold too long and too much rain!

I want to hold out for 2nd cutting but may get antsy & buy 1st just to fill my barn.

The smell of a barn full of hay is total Zen peace to me.
    Add the sound of horses munching it & Nirvana!!!!!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I love the smell of new hay. Yum.

Sounds like you got some good stuff msj. We've definitely been blessed with a beautiful spring and early summer. Hopefully the nice weather will continue!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Wink

Flash, I need an update on you, the baby- Oh heck the entire family (both 2-legged and 4-legged).
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Fresh hay lover here too. Walked into my feed store and commented on how good the hay smelled...the manager complained that since she has been there all the time she can no longer smell it. I felt sorry for her.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

This has been an incredible season...so far...for hay. I work about 30 minutes from my home and the entire commute is beautiful, rural and agrarian. I pass by acres and acres and acres of fresh cut hay waiting for baling. This has been an early season for hay and we've had a stretch of weather that is perfect for cutting and appropriate drying before baling. I feel like I'm a total hay junky as I survey the fields on both legs of my commute. I'm seeing several fields that have gorgeous big round bales dotting the fields. My co-workers are, well, puzzled when I exclaim about all the beautiful hay I see on my ride in!

Unfortunately I just got a load of 2009 hay in because i was desperate, but know that something much better is around the corner.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I insulted my hay guy...

I went to pick up hay on Thursday afternoon, and I was so stuffed up and miserable (allergies? cold? All I know is my ears are stuffed and I can't smell) that I could not tell that the bales on the flatbed were FRESH CUT.

In my defense, since he's been my hay guy, we've NEVER Had hay cut in MAY. NEVER. It's beyond amazing.

Horses are soooo happy. They've been out on pasture some... but I really can't leave them out unattended at the moment. This stuff is SO much better than last year's crap--due to flooding FIRST cut wasn't until *AUGUST*

They are eating way less because it's so good...

I finally caught a little whiff of it today... but still, really... no sense of smell.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Oh NO pintopiaffe! You have my most sincere sympathy to have allergies/cold and not be able to smell the wonderful aroma. I just finished mowing the lawn and stopped back in the barn JUST to deeply inhale the rich, wonderful aroma. I hope the problems clear up ASAP so you can smell the goodness!

I'm sure your hay farmer will understand. I've had horses for almost 38 yrs here in Rochester, NY area, and the about 5 or so yrs in SW PA and I've never seen hay, other than first cutting alfalfa, cut before Memorial Day.
    Sue