The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Give me your guilty pleasures...or what to do when you're sick !!

Hi guys,

I am sick as a dog and thus bored out of my mind. I have surfed the net pretty good last night, and Hulu.com has done wonders.

But today I find myself longing for horsey things to do on the net...

Any great ideas, sites, links etc??

And yes I have already watched all of Henny's helmey cam runs

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I always scope out the horse sales websites and see what's out there (even though I'm not looking and have no money!) Its still fun to look! Or I check out eBay for tack steals!

Go to Chapters and buy a whole bunch of magazines and then read them cover to cover.

What I SHOULD do is get the proud new farm owner's credit card info for you and have you start buying some of things we're going to need in a month....oh well....I pretty much sleep when I'm sick, so I have nothing for you. Sorry you're sick.

I try to find various farm sites to poke around, drool over the horses, gorgeous barns. Look at some eventers blogs and then can't believe I'm a chicken to jump over 2'3"! I tend to bookmark various sites for just those occassions

There are hours of Badminton 2009 on the Horse and County site, split into 32 segments of about 12-14 minutes each.

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episode/badminton-2009

the CANTER sites!!

if all else fails..........People Magazine the ultimate guilty pleasure......

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

What kind of sick? For me, eggnog is the center of a recuperation diet. Alcoholic or not.

Find something really difficult to read that you've always felt guilty about not having read and stick to it.

If you're on dialup, the web is more frustrating than healing.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

This is good for me, too. According to the forecast, it's suppose to keep raining until JUNE 5TH. May the cabin fever ensue...

Meanwhile, I'm taking up SS3777's CANTER browsing suggestion. And trying to figure out which bank to rob so I can bring home this guy. Or this one. Him, too.

Personally, I'm also a big fan of cooking blogs as well as design & photography ones. I can give you a whole slew of them if you're interested!

StumbleUpon is a good place to cure some boredom/sick blues, too. Just book your interests and have at it!

Get well soon!

Sorry you are not feeling well....guess we will not see you on Wednesday...Jimmy doing a xc school at Laurel Hill in the am.

Here is a short (badly taken) video of my mare and her month old filly...if some cute foal action doesn't make you feel better you need better drugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWhXEWoQi8E
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; May. 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??????

I've had a broken leg for a month, if you want to see kookoo, take a look at me. I've gained 7 pounds and I am plenty crabby!

The best horsey website known to man is eventingnation.com
    (sorry COTH, you're a close 2nd) )

When I was sick this winter in Aiken, I couldn't lift my head for 3 days. No entertainment necessary.

Feel better soon, Em.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Horse Academy app on Facebook!

Not sure what we're calling it, I've heard it as "The Ick" and "The Crud"

Fever started Friday am at 5 with 99.2 and hasn't gone away since. Nor has it gotten that low since.

Sinus infection and possible strep is what dr said at visit Friday around 11. Gave me z pack and told to take 2 motrin every 6 hours.

By Friday pm around 8 I was in lots of pain. Called on call dr got his permission to knock the motrin off and switch to vicodin for the pain and fever reducing (There is tylenol in Vicodin)

Saturday temps rose to a high of 101.8 Saturday night bonus of yakking up blood.

Sunday we spoke to dr on call again, switched to straight Tylenol ex strength, 2 every 6 hours. Temps actually got as low as 99.4. But went up last night to 100.5

This am woke up with 99.5

If temp doesn't break to normal today have to go to a urgent care and get checked out again.

Meanwhile my throat is searing with pain when I swallow and both ears have been ouchy. The phlegm of the sinus infection is just starting to loosen now. So its highly gross here. Oh and I have no voice!! I can't even talk, which most who know me, know thats my main go to skill in life!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am working my way through Badmitton, BFNE how could I not love that video!!!! And yea no, I won't be hocking up stuff all over Jimmy, give him my best though. The sale ads are a little scary with what pics people think is a good representation for their sale horses priced over $10k.

Still trying to get an appetite so I am sleeping a lot without it, hence I am good to look at stuff thats interesting for about 45 mins, then I go back to sleep.

You guys are the best, thanks again for all the advice.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

How are you feeling today?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I've had a broken leg for a month, if you want to see kookoo, take a look at me. ...
    Um, Pol... hate to say it, but are you sure you were entirely sane before the broken leg?

You can get caught up on http://www.threedaysthreewaysblog.com. She has a lot of fun stuff posted.

Wink

Umm..Holly,

My post is from today!!

That about sums it up. Sweating, freezing, in bed, voiceless, small-no appetite, sleep.

~Em

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Umm..Holly,

My post is from today!!

That about sums it up. Sweating, freezing, in bed, voiceless, small-no appetite, sleep.

~Em
    OH, crap. Stay in bed then.

Oh no way??? You mean you don't want my wobbly, loogie hocking self to attempt to come see you and cough and fall down on you??? What kind of a fun friend are you?

~Em

YUCK. That does not sound good at all. Hope that you feel better quick!

When I'm that sick...I can't do movies...too long. Short things.

Hulu.com is good. For horsie videos...this site has some good ones. Some are free.

http://www.horsetv.com/channels/cs_welcome.asp
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Thumbs down

Well I am having heat exhaustion, you cannot imagine how excited I am to report I did not suffer through Waredaca on Memorial Day weekend for the first time in about five years...it is warm out and horsies are in barn cooling under fans and I'm running in and out doing absolutely nothing, which is pretty unproductive. We are conserving our energy, which is a nice way of saying I'm being utterly and completely LAZY until about 6pm when I will go back to work outside. Blech. Me and heat do not get along.