The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Repairs to outdoor arena in PA

Hi everyone! I need some help... We recently moved to a new property out in Bucks County PA and we have an outdoor arena here, but it is in quite a sad state and needs some urgent TLC. Does anyone have some recommendations for contractors to fix it? I have looked on the internet, but find mostly contractors that build indoor arenas and barns etc. What I need is someone who can take out some of the top layer of the arena and replace it with sand or a sand/rubber mix (I think the base of the arena is fine). Anyone who has an outdoor arena in this area that is very happy with it and whoever built it for you, please let me know. Thanks!

Call the Montgomery County Extension office and ask for the horse/4-H people. They have a good contractor/excavator who put in their third ring. I don't remember the guy's name and will have to call them myself for the same issue.

There's also Tom Organski, (267) 246-0189, who was recommended to me by someone.

Where'd you move in from?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Thanks, Laurie- moved from Belgium, so don't really have any contacts for anything!

That's a move! I moved here from southern California.

Really, call Andrew Frankenfield at the Extension office. His number is: (610) 489-4315. He's a cow guy, but he can put you in touch with the right person over on the "horse" side. You can tell him I gave you his number. I also gave him a couple of goats.

You have your own counter extension service office in Bucks County. I don't know where it would be located or how, exactly, you'd find it, but maybe Andrew can help you with that too.

Their job is to help you be successful on your land. They're paid to come out and assess your property in terms of FREE advice regarding how to get the most out of it - fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, soil testing, etc.

If, however, you want to go strictly organic, they may not be so good, but they're not too bad. Look for CSAs for local food, etc. CSA - community supported agriculture.

Where are you in Bucks Co.?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Welcome to Pennsylvania! Below is a link to the Bucks County Conservation District & it has links to the SE Regional extension office, among other things.

http://www.bucksccd.org/useful_links.htm
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Thanks, Laurie, will definitely give Andrew a call. We are close to Tinicum and absolutely loving it! My horse is suppose to arrive from Belgium at the end of August, so got to get the arena fixed before then.

KBEquine, thanks for the link, will follow-up on that as I need all the advice I can get to manage our farm, obviously things are quite different here than in Belgium!

I think that PA is quite different from everything! Look for "Cherry's" signature or location - "Pennsylvania, where, if it makes sense, we just don't do it!"
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Default Welcome to Bucks County

Lots of horses and riders here in Bucks County, and you surely know you are near the county Horse Park, too!

We own and operate a boarding and Trakehner breeding stable in Upper Bucks County for twelve years, so if you need resources or contacts, please feel free to PM me.
    Carol

www.HorseGiftsandArt.com offers a unique selection of horse art, jewelry, gifts, plush horses and equestrian home decor