The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Pentosan

We did our first injection today...I guess we are the test dummies. That is okay, I do not think the Adequan really helped at all....Does anyone out there have any experience with it?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I LOVE the stuff!!!!!!!! I use it weekly but my vet said it can be used every 4 days if you like. My first 50ml bottle is almost done and I'll be sure to order another!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

How long have you been using it and what changes did you see? Did you try Adequan or Legend first?
    Thanks

I've been using it for 2 months. Never tried Adequan as my vet said it's a waste of money on older horses. She claims Adequan is for younger ones and Pentosan is better in older horses. Kiwi has been on Legend for the past 3-4 years now and I'm trying to decide if I want to discontinue it. I hate stopping things in fear that I'm going to mess something up. Kiwi is covered in arthritis from head to toe, it's not even funny. But I really do like the Pentosan!!!
    Kristen

I have spoken to my vet about this. What is the cost?

Thumbs up i really like it, too.

my 20 year old mare is rehabbing from suspensory injuries and during our last re-exam my vet commented that her overall body movement has improved since i've been using it. i also have caught her doing cat stretches which she has not done in a while.

the cost is much less than adequan - roughly $100 per 30 ml bottle (i hope i got that amount right, i'll check when i go to the barn today). my vet told me to give her 4 ml injections. i think standard is 5 ml
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Where are you getting it from Marta? The only supplier I can find is Horsemedsonline who has 100ml for $875 and 6ml for $71. I wouldn't mind giving it a try on my senior but not at those prices.

I paid $230 from my vet for a 50ml bottle. I give Kiwi 6ml for each injection.
    Kristen

We use it here . 1 shot ( 6ml i think it is.. entire tiny little bottle) once a week for 4 weeks. Can't tell you if it works or not. I think horses here are given it more as a preventative type medicine then anything.

P.

My vet got it from wedgewood pharmacy...it is a 50ml bottle and we are using 6 cc...I hope he feels better...For the first time I am having his hocks injected by my vet...He flexed positive for the hock....I am new to this too..UGH!

Default i get it from wedgewood too

must be the same bottle that ivy uses so it's probably 50 ml.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Manni Guest

just no Pentosan as Pentosanpolysulfat...dont know if it is the same, but i just compared prices an we here in germany get it cheaper than the ones mentioned. For example via apomio which is a price comparing page for different pharmacies in the net i get it arrond 60 dollars.

I ordered some today, it should be here tomorrow. I can't remember exactly what price they quoted me but it was in the $150 range for 50ml. I am excited to see if this gets my oldster over the hump as its tremendously cheaper than adequan.

MIne was 175 for the 50ml bottle....Hurdle got his first dose last Friday....so we are waiting....

Ok it came today. It was $164 with $11 in shipping. I am going to give the first dose tomorrow afternoon. There is a new thread that says to give it IV. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

The first dose is onboard and he has a nice lump on his neck to prove it. Ugh! Now what?

I hate when I end up doing two things at once because when it works you never know which of the two did the trick. That said, my old guy was amazing tonight!! He truly felt as good as he ever has. He even took a hold of the bit and drug me down to the first two jumps. He has never done that! So since I have injected his hocks before and had it help tremendously but not this tremendously I am going to surmise that the pentosan got him over the hump. I gave him dose number two tonight. If he gets no better and just stays like this I still consider it to be a miracle drug for him.

Default 1 does, seeing improvements (I'm hoping!)

I did the 1st dose last week in my 28 yr old guy with what appears to be jaw issues in the hopes that he could chew more comfortably. This horse has fairly bad arthritis in all 4 legs due to bad conformation and lots of miles as well as chronic Lyme from before Lyme was really known to be an issue.

He's spent the past 2 years meandering from place to place, happily, but slowly.

5 days after the 1st injection he is snarfing up his hay and bucking, farting and galloping all over the place.

Since nothing else has changed, I'm guessing that maybe the Pentosan could be helping? Wouldn't that be wonderful! (Keeping fingers crossed)...

Heck, he looked so good yesterday I almost considered putting him back to work instead of the wonderfully talented but spooky TB I have.

Wedgewood sells Pentosan in two strengths - 100 mg/ml and 250 mg/ml. Which are you using?

I didn't know there was a choice. My bottle says 250.