The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Jobs in the Horse Industry?

I'm frantically searching for a job in the horse industry. I have some Vet tech experience, and have been working with horses for about 8 years. I have barn manager experience and have worked on a ranch buying and selling horses, as well as caring for over 50 horses at one time. I have competed in english and western events, including jumping, barrel racing, pleasure and trail classes. I have broken and personally trained about 15 horses.

If I dont find a better job, I might have to sell my 2 geldings

What stops people from hiring or considering, is my age.

I dont know what to do.

You sound like you have a lot of knowledge. I know it is hard right now. I am not sure what it is. I don't think it would be your age, how old are you? usually people don't hire by age, usually its cost I think. I don't know much as to why you are not finding a job, sorry I cannot be much help, I will be praying for you.

Have you thought about maybe doing some braiding for shows?

I have thought about that, but I have to practice braiding, and right now I am so busy with my work that I do not have time to go to shows to braid.

8 years in horses really isn't that long. Most of the people I know in the horse industry have been in it for like 20+ years.

Also, the horse industry sucks if you want to make any semblance of good money, unless you're a big name trainer or perhaps an Olympic rider.

I've worked in the horse industry, doing a multitude of jobs. I recently switched to an office job. The pay is better, the hours are better, and I have more money to support my horse habit.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have heard that making money in the industry can be difficult, but I would like to give it a shot.

I can braid, but nothing better than anyone else could do!

8 years really isnt much, but the people who have opened up and given me a chance, have never been disappointed. Thankfully, I cant count on them now as references!

I have a job right now, pays pretty well too. Hours just arent dependable! One week I'll have 40, the next I might get 12 :|. Dont want to deal with that in a job I'm not fond of if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirlTina View Post
    I have heard that making money in the industry can be difficult, but I would like to give it a shot.

I can braid, but nothing better than anyone else could do!

8 years really isnt much, but the people who have opened up and given me a chance, have never been disappointed. Thankfully, I cant count on them now as references!

I have a job right now, pays pretty well too. Hours just arent dependable! One week I'll have 40, the next I might get 12 :|. Dont want to deal with that in a job I'm not fond of if I can help it.
    Really, in my experiences, you're not going to find job security in the entry level jobs in the equine industry, either.

But if you're really deadset on staying in the equine industry, I'd put up signs at the local feed store, tack stores, etc, advertising yourself. Call your local vets and farriers, and ask them if they know of any barns needing help right now. It's really a "word of mouth" industry. It's not really what you know, it's who you know.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

If I were to want to make money in the horse industry I'd go for stewarding, show management, jump course design, judging, breeding/farm management, etc. Take lots of courses, shadow a famous person, etc. Takes years - and connections - to workup into those positions, but you have a good start. Also, years in the biz helps, but personality, work ethic and talent with horses is more important. Get teaching credentials, first aid, anything that adds to your resume.

Ummm OP, go to page two of this forum and look for a thread with 'Plantation' in the title.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

How old are you?

It's highly unlikely that you will "make money" in the horse industry, especially given the economy. Run a search for the multitudes of times that people have come on here asking if they can get full time barn help if they offered housing (but no money for food) or $20K a year with NO housing in one of the most expensive housing markets in the country. The "good" jobs are often word of mouth, often through being a working student.

Maybe you can find a part time job in the horse industry and a part time job out of the industry. Unfortunately, at the moment a lot of people are replacing their full time staff with "working students" because the money isn't there.

Age would be less of a detractor to me than responsibility, experience, and references, personally, unless you were very young.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Ouch, yes, making a living in the horse industry is not easy. Equistaff.com is an equine employment site, may have a lead or two for you. Good luck!!!!!!
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."