The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default custom half pad (not Mattes)-where to buy?

Title says it all......looking for a custom half pad with shims/inserts to accomodate the changing musculature of a horse coming off of an extended lay up. I remember someone posting about a company that made custom pads but could not find it in a search. Anyone know it?
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I have the Fleeceworks Perfect Balance pad and really like it. The pad has removable memory foam inserts that insert over the shoulders, the rear of the pad, or fill the entire pad. I've had it for years and bought all of the inserts so that I could use it on different horses. You can even use it as a plain pad without any inserts, which is what I am doing with it now.

I sort of vaguely remember that. It was someone talking about a horse that was completely (and permanently) asymmetrical, right? I'm pretty sure it was a Skito pad.

Your other options: Thinline Saddle Fitter, Thinline Sheepskin Comfort Pad, Mattes quilted, Fleeceworks Perfect Balance, L'Apogee Correction Pad, and a few others. Most of which are similar to each other.

I use the Thinline sheepskin shim pad, works very well.
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I have the Fleeceworks Perfect Balance pad and really like it. The pad has removable memory foam inserts that insert over the shoulders, the rear of the pad, or fill the entire pad. I've had it for years and bought all of the inserts so that I could use it on different horses. You can even use it as a plain pad without any inserts, which is what I am doing with it now.
    same here.
    It's a great pad!

I have been through: the Equigel, the Mattes cotton quilted w/shims, the Skito for wither hollows, the equigel again, and now, finally, the perfect pad... The UltraThinline Trifecta! I love it. It doesn't mess with saddle fit, uses thin ultra shims for just the right amount of fill-in behind the withers, and is the amazing shock absorber they say it is. Totally worth the $$ and the trial and error!

The L'Apogée pads are medical grade Lambskin and made in Austria. www.LASaddles.com 1-800-800-4261

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I sort of vaguely remember that. It was someone talking about a horse that was completely (and permanently) asymmetrical, right? I'm pretty sure it was a Skito pad.
    Yes, pretty sure it was the Skito. Thank you jn4j (and everyone else who posted) with suggestions!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com