The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dive-bombed by a ......TURKEY!

I can cross this off as something I will probably never experience again. Was walking dogs around a nearby pond. Big dog got ahead of me, around a "corner" and I couldn't see him. There I was, strolling along, and WHAM!!! this gigantic bird came flying around the corner straight at my head! It ended up in a tree, with Tribble barking like a maniac, and Shadow coming around the corner looking like, "What the hell was that thing??"

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys couldn't fly!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We were riding down a draw right by the house, minding our own business, when about 7-8 wild turkeys divebombed right by our heads, almost hitting us.

The horses didn't even raised their heads, kept on walking as if nothing happened, but we almost fell off our horses from the scare.

Those heavy bomber turkeys are dangerous!

Be glad you weren't on horseback.
    I got dive-bombed by 15-odd vultures once riding Mr Uber Spooky. I didn't realize we were disturbing their meal. Never again will I close in on feasting vultures, I had a ride from hell back home.
    My guess you must have done something to upset Mrs Turkey .

I've had enough experiences with those whirring Ruffed Grouse blasting out from bushes underneath the horse's feet. That was always fun!

There were no wild turkeys in Vermont in the 1980s, so we were spared that particular fowl hazard.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Turkeys can not only fly, they routinely roost 30-40 ft up in trees at night. I have seen them do it (we have a LOT up by my parents) but I have never been dive-bombed by one.

However, I have seen that 75+ wild turkeys (an average flock for us in winter) CAN be herded by one eight-pound orange cat.

I have to admit, turkeys divebombing puts a smile on my face when i picture it. Glad youre okay though!

A turkey nearly ran into the side of my truck the other day...it was on a mission to get to a lady and didnt see my truck traveling in its path!

Wild turkeys can most definitely fly. I hiked through our woods one day and kept disturbing them from their roosts up above me. I didn't say they fly gracefully however, there was a lot of flap flap crash flap.

Our woods have deer trails and the property line was dozed so there is a perimeter walking path, the year we had all those cicadas I went out for an afternoon walk and a turkey vulture was flying very low - there was quite a bit of carrion smell that I guess came from all the cicadas - anyway it came down one of the deer trails to the walking path right about the same time I got there and right at head level, lordy those things are big, and ugly. I ducked, and it banked hard and went on up the walking path. I think I got some more grey hairs out of it, for sure.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

They fly like feathered bowling balls...but they do fly.
    And yup, 20 lbs of bird coming at your head in low altitude will definite startle a person.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Anybody else immediately flash to that WKRP episode where the boss decided to airdrop Thanksgiving turkeys over Cincinatti? I think it was supposed to be coupons for a Thankgiving turkey but ended up being frozen birds... bombs awayyyyyy!

I was divebombed by one as I drove my camper along a county highway several weeks ago Totaled the windshield....and the turkey.

not divebombed, but i had a turkey fly up out of the brush along the trail and come straight up at my horse's head. He NEVER walked past that spot quietly again...
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    Anybody else immediately flash to that WKRP episode where the boss decided to airdrop Thanksgiving turkeys over Cincinatti? I think it was supposed to be coupons for a Thankgiving turkey but ended up being frozen birds... bombs awayyyyyy!
    No, they dropped live, domestic turkeys from a helicopter over a shopping mall. Les Nessman was at the mall reporting when he realized that domestic turkeys can't fly. They splattered all over and he was horrified. One of my favorite episodes!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXSnoy71Q4

Found the entire episode here. Watch from 18-20 minutes for the turkey drop.
    http://radio.about.com/od/thanksgivi...ideo-Audio.htm

Heritage turkeys are similar to wild turkeys and can fly. My Benny (killed last week by the neighbor's dog) couldn't get very high because he was too big, but Butter (female) flies when she feels like it and roosts up high. The two babies, a month old now, are flying all over the place. It's very cute to watch.
    Last edited by Murphy's Mom; May. 28, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

A friend of mine was riding his motorcycle and had a turkey fly into the side of his head and knock him off his motorcycle. Thankfully he was in full leather riding gear and didn't get road rash too badly. Even with the full motorcycle helmet he was knocked out. The motorist that helped him took the dead turkey home for dinner.

I had a pheasant fly up and brush the side of my head while I was galloping across a field.

See another reason for bicyclists, motorcyclists and horseback riders to all wear a helmet- ya never know when a bird might fly into your head.

Never had to deal with a turkey but a brown Wren flew into the indoor arena last weekend through the open barn door and right into the side of my horses head. I am not sure who was more stunned, the horse or the bird. The bird did not mover for several minutes but finally did fly away. We had to avoid that door for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    See another reason for bicyclists, motorcyclists and horseback riders to all wear a helmet- ya never know when a bird might fly into your head.
    New siggy
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

My husband's horse stepped on a turkey egg this spring. I was much less sad than I might have been. I've had a few too many horse vs flying turkey encounters this year. That egg was one less turkey to encounter next spring. Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    My husband's horse stepped on a turkey egg this spring. I was much less sad than I might have been. I've had a few too many horse vs flying turkey encounters this year. That egg was one less turkey to encounter next spring. Woot!
    I don't know about your wild turkeys, but ours have a clutch of 15 to 17 hatch, but only 0 to 2 make it to grown, a sad attrition rate.
    No need to step on the eggs, most baby turkeys don't make it anyway.