The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    Nice. Really nice.

Helmets are designed to prevent and decrease severity of TBI and they do. End of story.
    Good.

I am glad that you can give me the numbers.

Lets compare the number of deaths and incapacitating head injuries for the years 1930 -1940 vs. 1980-1990.

And since you obviously have the numbers, please include broken necks, broken backs and incapacitating injuries.

My point is/was that although wearing a helmet is a good thing, the benefits from doing so and the penalties for not doing so are not the equivalent of Russian Roulette with only 3 empty chambers as some would insist to be the case.

CSSJR

Every year the the United States Pony Club issues an Accident Report. USPC began requiring ASTM/SEI approved helmets in 1990. From 1982 to 1989 the percentage of head injuries was 24.2%. In 1992 the percentage of head injuries was 14.3%.

A ten percent drop in head injuries three years is enough for me.

this cannot be a true story, but one of those fact situations you give a class in college to those working on their equestrian degrees...point out all the things done wrong in this situation by both parties...

What is the ratio of head injuries to broken necks, incapacitating spinal injuries, etc.?

One article I found states "In fact, 31.1% of all riding injuries reported are to the head and face (Nelson, Rivara, Condie, & Smith, 1994; Whitlock, 1999). Nelson, Rivara, and Condie (1994)"

That leaves 69% of the injuries to other parts of the body.

Although it may be a three year decline, the way you present it, it is not.

It is a one year decline against a seven year running average the way you present it.

The years 1990 to 1997 would be comparable.

Your conclusion may be correct, but the numbers need to be looked at it differently to be sure.

Now I don't have any more time for this topic today as this is a busy day for me, but I did hit this link:

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/amea/may96nws.htm#USPC

If you scroll way down to the accidents reported for insurance purposes, you see some pretty interesting numbers.

Injuries to the head were 4%
    Neck 1%
    Back 6%

So confirming my earlier comment that my observation is that there are more neck and back injuries, the neck and back injuries are almost double the head injuries.

There is no distinction as to severity, so whether more lives are damaged by one or the other is not reflected in these numbers.

Of course, if we had the insurance companies payout on injury classifications, we would be able to duduce the seriousness of each from that.

Nevertheless, inspite of your inaccurate interpretation of my first post, I don't suggest that everyone throw away their helmet.

But I do doubt that we should go into hysterics when one rides without a helmet.

CSSJR