The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why you should listen when a trusted friend tells you to NOT ride like a hunter rider

I am such a dumbass.

Stopped by my neighbors yesterday to say hi, she was riding her greenie and asked if I wanted to ride him a little. I had not come from the barn and thus did not have any riding equipment (should have been the first red flag). I hopped on him in khakis, sneakers (I know) and no helmet (again, I know.) trot around, quiet as can be. Canter around, DEAD quiet. She says, want to hop that x-rail? (Note: it's maybe 10") She says, he likes you to ride more EQy, not like a hunter ride so much. Well, he stepped over the x, and then let out the BIGGEST buck. RIGHT as I was still in hunter-landing mode.

I am fine, landed flat on my back though, and really got the wind knocked out of me. After realizing I was ok, neighbor burst out laughing, said I TOLD you! less hunter, more EQ.

SO: when someone tells you how to ride THEIR OWN horse, DO IT. They know best.

Oh yeah, and wear a helmet.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

um, I really think the lessons here are
    1. do not get on any horse without a helmet
    2. do not get on a green horse you have never ridden without a helmet
    3. If you own a green horse, why on earth would you let someone ELSE get on without a helmet.

spot a trend here?

you are very lucky.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I'm glad you're ok. And thank you for reminding all of us to wear our helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    3. If you own a green horse, why on earth would you let someone ELSE get on without a helmet.

spot a trend here?

you are very lucky.
    I'm pretty sure she understands the mistakes she made and wasn't exactly asking for them to be repeated to her so condescendingly.

Glad you're okay and can relay the experience back to us with humor and lesson learned.

Also glad to know you won't be doing that again...sans helmet at least.

Well, in college I hoped on a friend's dressager while wearing biker shorts and Walmart thongs. So bite me.

Anywho, I also like catch riding and I see why you did what you did. And you are right-- sometimes it pays to listen to the horse's regular rider. It sounds like this one knew his horse and knew what he was doing. Not every person who thinks you ride well enough to hop on their greenie actually does know how to do a better job than you-- hence the catch riding invite.

Think of it this way. When God wants you to change your ways, He'll approach you as a good horse trainer. He'll suggest, He'll demand, and then He'll promise. How high God needs to turn up the volume is up to you. He just cranked it up today, that's all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks for sharing.. and I've learned the hard way as well... on my friend's horse who bolts when you get on
    Half way listened the first time... but you can bet I listened the 2nd time!!!! Good that he no longer bolts!!!
    Never had the jumping problem... but then again, I ride like a jumper, with an eventing background... that "safety" seat is always stored not too far away!!!
    Glad you are ok though!!!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

well hind sight's 20/20. Glad all is ok!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Glad you are OK-- A friend of mine told me that you usually get hurt on someone else's horse I expect and prepare for the worst and usually am pleasantly surprised when riding a horse that is not my own.

I think the lesson is that good freinds should say the horse bucks on landing not ride like Eq

Quote Originally Posted by Shrunk "N" Da Wash View Post
    I think the lesson is that good freinds should say the horse bucks on landing not ride like Eq
    This. I don't really care what the horse does, but please give me a fair and clear warning ahead of time so I can be prepared - physically and mentally.

Me, now too old to ride other's horses, but don't care how old I am, I wouldn't want to ride a bucker, especially without knowing first. Not so funny.

Hence the hunter perch being form over function.
    Glad to hear you're okay...now remember when riding an unknown horse to *ride* it and not pose.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

[QUOTE=mvp;4892657]Well, in college I hoped on a friend's dressager while wearing biker shorts and Walmart thongs. So bite me.[QUOTE]

But does he actually buck on landing because he's green or is this a saddle fit issue?

Glad you're OK

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Well, in college I hoped on a friend's dressager while wearing biker shorts and Walmart thongs. So bite me.

Anywho, I also like catch riding and I see why you did what you did. And you are right-- sometimes it pays to listen to the horse's regular rider. It sounds like this one knew his horse and knew what he was doing. Not every person who thinks you ride well enough to hop on their greenie actually does know how to do a better job than you-- hence the catch riding invite.

Think of it this way. When God wants you to change your ways, He'll approach you as a good horse trainer. He'll suggest, He'll demand, and then He'll promise. How high God needs to turn up the volume is up to you. He just cranked it up today, that's all.

This.....
    So true...

Glad your okay.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

My QH does buck on landing if you are up on his neck, he is built down hill and it's too much up on his front end so he bucks, but I always warn riders... even when they don't listen.

I don't think that's how hunter riders, ride though.. sounds like this dude just bucks if someone doesn't stop him from doing it.

My guy doing his thing, this was a young girl who used to ride him sometimes at my old barn, he really only did it with her but she had a bad tendency to lean forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLi2YUIWhM

Quote Originally Posted by redears View Post
    My QH does buck on landing if you are up on his neck, he is built down hill and it's too much up on his front end so he bucks, but I always warn riders... even when they don't listen.
    ^This

Horse is this little roly poly Qh hony. Well I learned my lesson! Irony is that he was literally the slowest horse in the world, even AFTER the buck.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post

spot a trend here?

you are very lucky.
    I have succumbed to the wailings of the wimps and always ride in a helmet.

But the whole thing is totally overblown.

When did helmets become "essential"? The late 1960's or maybe early 1970's? I forget.

If you will look at old photos of horse shows, you will see riders jumping huge fences, much larger than those in the show ring today, with no helmet. Many are either bare headed or wearing the soft English cap.

I do not think there were more injuries in those days than we have today.

I doubt that there are any reliable statistics to prove the point either way but it is my personal opinion that the helmet gives worried nellies peace of mind but do little to change the statistics.

We have all know ior have heard of instances where a helmet would have saved someone, but remember the most frequent fatal or life changing injuries are broken backs and broken necks.

And most riders of today spend way too much time on their horses neck.

CSSJR

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    I have succumbed to the wailings of the wimps and always ride in a helmet.
    Nice. Really nice.

Helmets are designed to prevent and decrease severity of TBI and they do. End of story.