The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lesson lease WWYD?

My daughter has a lesson lease on this nice pony, yes we pay extra for him..The last 2 weeks we have gotten there he has not been available for her...What would you do?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

What is the nature of your agreement? If were promised that particular pony for lessons (and you are paying for him) and he wasn't available, I would speak up!
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Maybe there is a misunderstanding between you and the pony's owner when the pony will be available for your daughter? I'd talk with the owner/person you are leasing from (and/or review the written contract) to re-confirm.

He is a lesson pony at the barn she rides at...We do pay to have him available. One week he was at a horse show but this week he was being ridden by another kid...They eventually gave him to her but her lesson was then short also..It was so frustrating....She loves riding him and he is such a good pony....She really gets a chance to work on herself not spend half the lesson trying to get the pony to trot...
    just venting
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I would have lease document in hand and speak with the barn owner. I would then ask if "I have misunderstood what the document means?" If the pony won't always be available for lessons, then I'd say that I had misunderstood and wanted a refund, or stop paying extra each month for the priveledge you thought you had.

If you PAY to have this pony available for scheduled lessons well then darn your kid should ride that pony-!! I think you're actually being quite civil about this, I would have had to speak to the trainer right then and there. A pony being used for the shows are understandable or if it was lame, but the fact that another kid was riding it would have made me mad. While I think that your kid should ride other horses to be more well-rounded as a rider. But, If you are paying for something then I would expect to have that pony.

Ridiculous. I had a half-lease on my mare when she was a lesson horse, and I'd have flipped.

The show I'd understand, although I would still expect to be told ahead of time that pony would be at a show and not available. But if he's there and ridden by another kid? You're just giving them money for nothing.

I bet lots of parents are paying extra for this pony
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would expect a refund or credit for the show situation. Would not tolerate the pony being ridden by another kid during your specified time at home.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

That is total BS. A "lesson lease" guarantees x number of lessons a week/month on a specific Pony/horse at an additional charge. That is in any barn I have ever been in, sometimes called something different but always the same guarantee for an extra charge. Western or English, common practice.

For the OP, do you have a WRITTEN guarantee? If so, there is absolutely no reason you should tolerate this. It is a deceptive business practice at worst, really sloppy management at best. Either way, you should get a refund. You MUST talk to them about this. Don't be a doormat or an ATM machine paying for what you did not get..

Also, this is not a good sign about that barn...and you are in an area where there are other providers of that service.

Look at it this way...most of us have a regular hair gal or guy and many pay more to reserve ther time based on their level of expertise and experience, right? What of they switched you from your regular and stuck you with a far lesser talent but charged you the same. Would you pay it and eagerly make another appointment? No? This is no different, do not tolerate it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My friend has this at her lesson barn for the kids who don't have their own horses/ponies. How many times a week do you usually go out? My friend uses my horse in her program (she leases him from me and then "leases" him to her kids) but her lease is to be able to ride outside of lessons a few times a week and on weekends (no lessons on weekends). The amount people pay to lease the school horses is not very much and for some wouldn't cover all their expenses for the month if that was the only income the horse brought it, so it is still used in lessons and their may be days that you have to wait or sometimes ride another horse. You also might not ride the horse you lease in every lesson either because it is good to ride other horses too.

Now it sounds like maybe you are paying to have the pony for lessons? Not whenever you want to ride? If that is the case then it shouldn't be hard for the instructor to schedule things correctly. Where my friend gets into trouble is when the kid wants to come out 3+ times a week and doesn't really let her know what days and times or changes last minute and either she losses getting to use the horse or the leasee feels used.

What I would do is just ask what the details are on the leasing a school horse. Maybe there just needs to be better communication between everyone? My friend had a half lease which is a certain number of rides for the month or a full lease which is as many rides as you want for the month, usually this all works out fine as the kid has a lesson once a week, might come out another week day then on the weekend and there is very little conflict, like I said often it is more of a problem if the kid is coming out every day after school and wanting the horse to themselves. My friend does work out something for those kids but they often have to pay a little more especially if it is a horse that can be used for a variety of lessons and many kids want to ride them.

I would just ask for some clarity of the deal and either get something worked out or don't continue paying.