The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

susansalk@gmail.com Guest

Default Looking for OTTB success stories

Hi!
    I've started a new blog called offtrackthoroughbreds.com to write about and highlight positive next career stories about ex-racehorse Thoroughbreds. Lately, I'm hearing from dressage riders, so I thought I'd mention this. And also, to ask if anyone knows of OTTBs doing other things, hunter, x-country,eventing, lessons, dressage, etc., that I could write about. Thanks! Sue

What do you consider "successful"? I know of a ton of OTTBs, and their owners are happy with them/they are learning together and in good situations. Not necessarily winning national titles or anything, but useful, healthy, sound horses in good homes.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by susansalk@gmail.com View Post
    Hi!
    I've started a new blog called offtrackthoroughbreds.com to write about and highlight positive next career stories about ex-racehorse Thoroughbreds. Lately, I'm hearing from dressage riders, so I thought I'd mention this. And also, to ask if anyone knows of OTTBs doing other things, hunter, x-country,eventing, lessons, dressage, etc., that I could write about. Thanks! Sue
    If you contact Joe Shelton at tbfriends.com he can probably give you more stories than you could ever write about! The man adopts out more than 500 horses a year, most of them OTTBs.

A saint he is...

HastiServe Guest

I adopted my OTTB from Joe Shelton at TBFriends in 2008 as a 3 year old. Joe is definitely a saint and I'm sure he would have a lot of great stories from the many horses he has adopted out.

In my case I've been going super slow since I'm a bit of a beginner and this has been my first time working with a young horse but I have to say I've really had a wonderful time with my OTTB. They are such great horses. My mare is athletic and really enjoys having a job. We just went to our first dressage show two weeks ago and came home with a blue ribbon! It was in Intro A but I'm very proud of her... my goal had just been to not spook at the judges booth : )

Looking forward to checking out your new blog... I really love people supporting the OTTB.

If you want success stories you ought to contact Thoroughbred Placement and Rescue. They have placed over 400 OTTBs and constantly get updates about how fabulously they are doing. From cow horses to dressage to eventing, they have placed them in every discipline.
    Nothing is as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Sir Winston Churchill.

One I know of personally is Silva Martin's Sea Lord. Gorgeous OTTB showing I-1 I believe. Lots of good video of them on youtube!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.