The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default houdini proof stall latch?

My TB gelding has figured out how to open *and close* his stall. So far, he has not gone on any walkabouts- he was seen opening and closing it though. He took the opportunity to eat some hay that had been left in the aisleway beside his door, then let the door swing closed and slid the latch back If I hadn't seen the video on my friend's phone, I wouldn't have believed it.

We have this latch without the rotating piece holding it down. Suggestions that are resistant to the orally fixated, naturally inquisitive young TB who still has ten days of stall rest to go?

My boys have all learned to do that with those very latches. I drilled a hole and screwed an eyehook in there, then just clip it with a huge snap (basically, the snap end off an old leadrope). It's mostly worked wonders, although my gelding (who thinks he's funny) figured out after about 13 years how to get the snap open so I had to replace it with a big bullsnap instead. But so far he's the only one of the three who could get the snap open. Still haven't figured out how he can do it - he's obviously very orally talented.

I have one too and a similar latch. Can you put a clip on yours? I can't on mine so I hung a track gate on the inside so she can't get to the latch, she fidgets but, alas she's in the stall every AM

I'm going to have take a trip to Home Depot and see if they have an eye hook that will fit. The eye hook and clip was my first thought. We had also considered putting a second latch lower down, but he can reach almost 2/3ds of the way down. Good to know that the clip can at least buy us some time lol.

This guy is an absolute character.

One of the mares at the barn does this, she can undo the snaps as well so we just use hay string. She will usually untie it but it works since she can't completely untie it. The barn has their snaps on chains attached to the stall wall which I highly recommend so the snap doesn't go walking off.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

We have one that figured out the latch. Then figured out the snap on the screweye in the latch. Then when we put two snaps on, so that he couldn't get it with his lips, somehow pulled the entire latch off. Now he has a second latch just above ground level.

Just put a second latch on the bottom or lower the first one out of reach. My mini used to push the bottom of the door with his nose so he had to go in the stall with the bottom latch.

We're already lowered the latch...it took him about an hour to figure out a way to get it. I'm thinking a second latch on the bottom with a snap on the top latch. If he figures out the snap, then I'll replace the door with a different gate.

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

The kickbolt might be a good idea, but I need to change the latch too. Now that he's figured it out, I'm thinking he's going to keep trying.

He escaped again this morning. Stayed in the barn aisle and munched on some hay that was left out, walked right back in when a boarder came in early and pointed him at his stall.

Latch has been lowered, and a snap with screw eye was put on. And it was tied shut with baling twine. He untied the baling twine, took off the snap and opened the latch.

Bad pony! Don't you hate it when they get smart? Mine hasn't figured out a big bull snap yet, maybe that would keep yours occupied for a while.

Has anyone ever seen them actually opening the snaps? I'd love to see it sometime - I can't figure out how he can get the piece to slide down (that you normally hold with your thumb) and keep it that way while getting the snap to come off the eyehook. And mine is dentally-challenged too - he's only got about two or three teeth in the front due to an accident several years ago.

If you decide to add a snap to your arsenal, be sure to buy a bull snap. I haven't seen a horse yet that can open a bull snap.

Best of luck...

I have this at the top
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8HhPXVaZn9...1600/latch.jpg

and this at the bottom to use my foot on.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8HhPXVaZn9...om%2Blatch.jpg

Granted my horses have only been home for 2 days.

Bull snap in the eye screw should do it. But if worse comes to worse, put a stall chain or net across the doorway of his stall so if he does get the door open, there's still another obstacle for him to navigate. I prefer the chains over the nets as they're a safer. If they do manage to put a leg between it and the door they can extricate themselves much more easily.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I really say the track gate is great! and it's just the half size so cheap and there is no way they can get that open, i think...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    I really say the track gate is great! and it's just the half size so cheap and there is no way they can get that open, i think...good luck
    lol...Where did you get yours? We added a second latch and put a locking caribiner (forgive my spelling, the 10 month old has sapped my brain today with the teething mess).

Quote Originally Posted by IBWmassage View Post
    lol...Where did you get yours? We added a second latch and put a locking caribiner (forgive my spelling, the 10 month old has sapped my brain today with the teething mess).

we had some here at the farm but, google stall screens and you should get some to come up

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=7413

and it can travel with you to shows!

hmmm...I like that much more than putting a stall guard. The barn management requested I put a stall guard. I have avoided putting one up because some of the barn help are not very horse-savvy. They'll leave a stall door open while they walk away and such. My guy is currently on stall rest and is more than capable of escaping a stall guard.

I wonder if they can be bought in Lexington...hmm...I can just drive over for a girls night.

I have houdinis too - but I have these; http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ke-125803.aspx
    They have a hole in the end which goes through the bar strike, where you attach a snap.

How about a kiwi latch; http://www.modfarm.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5982
    Last edited by Equibrit; May. 29, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Equibrit, I like the Kiwi latch...I might do the track gate with that latch..It's a good thing this horse is super talented.