The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antares hunter bridles...

For those of you that have this bridle, I have a few questions: Does your throatlatch buckle on both sides? I found that to be interesting but sort of unnecessary. Also, I thought the "monocrown" design would mean that the noseband and throatlatch would all decend from the padded crownpiece, but the one I received has the noseband as its own separate piece, like a regular bridle. The quality and craftmanship are stunning, I just found these two things odd and wanted to see if I received the right bridle!

we have an Antares figure 8 and running martingale, and while I can't answer your question, your right, the craftsmanship is amazing and looks great too!!! Definately worth the money, we purchased them at Smartpak, luckily had a 20% coupon!!!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have an Antares hunter bridle, and the throatlatch has the standard single buckle. I don't care for monocrowns and only buy the traditional design, so can't comment on that aspect.

They do offer outstanding craftsmanship.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

When I briefly had one my throat latch buckled on both sides. Stunning bridle, amazing quality, just didn't look right with my horse.
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Mine has only one buckle on throat lash and is not a monocrown. As the rest have said, it is stunning. It fits beautifully on the horses head and sets him off without stealing the show.

My Antares hunter bridle only has one buckle,I believe the newer ones buckle on both sides. I am glad I have one of the older, traditional versions. The leather and workmanship are unbeatable though.

Hmm. Wondering whether or not to keep it. I'm not sure how I feel about the double buckling throat latch, but I did get a good deal ($350 w/reins). Too untraditional for the hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Pollie View Post
    Hmm. Wondering whether or not to keep it. I'm not sure how I feel about the double buckling throat latch, but I did get a good deal ($350 w/reins). Too untraditional for the hunters?
    I think you could get away with the double buckles in the hunters, you won't be able to see it except when you are up close to the horse.

What size do you need? I have a friend who is selling a lightly used traditional Antares hunter bridle, it is a size 1 (cob).

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I think you could get away with the double buckles in the hunters, you won't be able to see it except when you are up close to the horse.

What size do you need? I have a friend who is selling a lightly used traditional Antares hunter bridle, it is a size 1 (cob).
    Darn, I have a horse size but I haven't tried it on him yet. He's inbetween a cob and full Edgewood so I'm thinking thinking the cob Antares will be too small

Darn, I have a horse size but I haven't tried it on him yet. He's inbetween a cob and full Edgewood so I'm thinking thinking the cob Antares will be too small
    I don't think the cob would work on your guy. What about calling Brad at Antares customer service and seeing if they have any of the older more traditional style left? Of course you would have to pay full price. Otherwise, unless you plan to show hunters at Devon or indoors, I see no reason why you can't use the double buckled newer bridle in the hunters, since you got such a good deal on it.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I wouldn't use one with double buckles in the hunters but I am *ridiculously* anal about my tack, and the double buckles would just bother me. I tend to like traditional stuff.

If they don't bother you, then I'd go ahead and keep the bridle and use it wherever you liked. I doubt there is a judge who'd notice or care!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina