The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Small Brag... Anyone Else?

I have had the best two lessons the past 2 days.

First day we did a modified figure eight of 2 jumps, with and without stirrups, and I didn't fall off!! It was my first time jumping without stirrups, so I am amazed!

Second day it was soooo hot, I was afraid my horse was going to be slower than usual, so basically moving backwards. However, he was pretty fast and I only needed a crop once! And we jumped a hard, twisty pattern with rollbacks and we barely had any chips. We even got a good pace going!

So it's finally coming together... anyone else?
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Awesome! I had a really awesome flat session with Elliot yesterday, he is really improving. I can't wait to start him over fences (well, pay someone to start him, I'm not that good at o/f) and take lessons.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I count any lesson where I don't fall off as a success! I'm going to ride today for the first time in a week (darn sick kid!) and hope for a wonderful ride. Sounds like you had fun!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

That's great! I love those lessons where you feel pretty much everything went right! I had a really good lesson on my lease horse last week. He's a spook and gets really nervous about new jumps. In my lesson my trainer had changed almost all the jumps, adding "scary stuff" to some, moving them around, etc. and he went over each one; granted he jumped most of them like they were 3'9 instead of 2'9 according to my trainer! I also had a great lesson on my friend's horse, whom I'd never ridden before.

My mare has matured and mellowed a lot lately.

We have goals in the jumper ring, but yesterday we schooled a 3'9/4ft hunter course.

In the past, she has needed the mental stimulation of a jumper course to keep her focused. This is the first time we have ever had any success through a loopy hunter course. She was quiet, adjustable and focused.

Happiness.

Well I just got home and we had an awesome lesson! We rode outside, which was the first time I have ridden him outside. I was more than a little nervous that he'd be really intense, but he was good as gold. Yes, he's a jumper, and yes, he went like one but a sane jumper not a crazy one. My leg was tight, my release was good, I rode his rhythm and nailed almost every spot! It was awesome!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I rode my four year old hunter. For some odd reason the saddle slid up his neck while we were cantering. He just kept cantering. I loff Him lots!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Well, things seem to be coming together with my pony, but with the mare... things are just falling apart. I guess it must be time to get her hocks done again (she usually lets me know by turning into a royal TERROR), but the timing is bad. I came out of tonight's ride oh so frustrated. But I'm glad things are coming together for you!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

I took my anxious greenbean to his first off-the-farm outing last Sunday (a clinic, very low key, with lots of other riders and horses from our barn) and we survived. He got on the trailer pretty easily (his behavior while loaded wasn't entirely desirable, but he was pretty good coming home). He wouldn't stand still the entire time I was mounted but he didn't refuse anything. He got his leads when we were doing the little jumper course and actually turned in midair. We "won" the competition with the fastest time. The clinician said she likes my "big squishy butt" because it makes it easier to ride from your seat--I never thought of my big butt as an asset . So all in all it was a positive experience!

I had a fantastic lesson yesterday as well. Did a twisty/turney jumper style course on my 5 y.o. with the jumps topping out at 3', but most at 2'9". He felt like a well broke beastie for the first time ever, didn't feel like he was even remotely working hard at all to clear them, he landed on the the correct lead 80% of the time, and took it upon himself to do lovely flying changes another 15% of the time. All in perfect rhythm and control. This was a horse that two months ago demolished single cross rails with a frightening amount of consistency and was a downright scary ride.

I was on a total high all day after my morning lesson, but then decided to ride my other greenie later in the day. Went over a little vertical, two strides later, he tripped and we both did face plants into the sand. It still bring me down from the first ride of the day though!

It's nice to see everyone's hard work not only paying off, but it all seems so much fun.

I showed my greanbean at his first away show. It was sensory overload... but he did a great job dealing with things for three days.

I really don't like showing flat; and I think my horse knows it.... (he doesn't like it either)... so the two flat classes weren't the greatest; he was a ball of nerves..(expecially with tractors dragging the arenas right next to him - he doesn't like tractors one bit)... but we managed to get a 4th in Equitation.. the hardest earned ribbon - EVER!

Jumping classes were great; two seconds in Equitation and a third in Hunters... not bad for a rated show.. He did so good and it was really FUN.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

This week I have been basking in the fact that this may be the last week that I have to drag my sweet mare around the barn by a leadrope. It's been six months and counting since she had stifle surgery and I absolutely cannot wait to get on her again. Hopefully our vet gives me the go-ahead to put her back to light work next week, I'm just hoping that the xrays show the best possible scenario.

She's lovely, fat as a tick and looks so bored. I can't wait to ride her again and I think she'll be glad to get back to work, too. I've had a nice project to ride during her layup time (thanks to my kind trainer) but it's not the same as The Fat Mare.

My lesson Wednesday was so good! I'm in college, and while I have a couple of horses, none of them are suitable (at least right now) for jumping or lessons right now, so I started taking school horse lessons 3 weeks ago. This trainer is so good, I'm learning SOOO much from him. This lesson really felt better than the last two, and I feel like I'm getting things together a bit more over fences.

And at home, my appendix looks like he's starting to gain weight again! --hard keeper..ugh-- However, the weather has prevented me from working with him the last couple of weeks. BUT, before that he was getting a lot better, lunged over a couple of jumps (actually has a cute jump in him!), so hopefully I can work up the nerve to get on him here fairly soon (hasn't been ridden since last february..over a year.)

omg congrats!!!! everything is coming together for me my green pony is finally becoming more fun to ride then work
    he may hit a rail, but at least he wont break my heart <3
    Inside the rider u have become is a little girl who fell in love with horses, ride for her (;

This is great to hear. I know exactly how you feel.

On Weds. I finally jumped a 2' fence by my own choice and discovered it was actually easy and very much not scary. We even managed to add a super tight rollback at the end of the fence to another fence and got our distances and our leads, and my horse loved it.

On a less advanced but equally exciting note, I ground drove my filly yesterday, her first time in a bit and only her 3rd time with a surcingle/saddle on and she was a doll. Stop, back up, steering, everything. I'm psyched to get on her.

Every ride has been better than the last! Finally things have begun to click into place.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .