The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Lightbulb Any ideas==deals on fresh cooled?

I've hesitated to post this because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. BUT, it would also be foolish not to partake of the collective ideas here to brainstorm.. so...

Thanks to Gov. Baldacci, the cuts at the University mean I probably will not be able to get my stallion trained/collected/evaluated this year. (and that's a very trite and pithy whine, considering the really neat work they've been doing there that is entirely at risk... )

The only real problem with that is that I won't be getting my new mare, Waterspot, until her current Voltaire filly is weaned. Late August/September. So AI is the only option for her this year. I was planning to use my guy... which would've been perfect.

Which leaves me looking for an outside stallion... There will be vet expenses for a clinic near her that I wouldn't have at home, so that cuts into the already unplanned-for outside stud fee.

Waterspot is an amazing producer and easy breeder. I'm willing to look at young stallions in their first year if the temperament, conformation & pedigree are right. I'm pretty much open to any ideas at the moment, since I hadn't thought too far beyond using my guy, and next year using her to test breed my Jr. stallion.

Can be RPSI or AWS eligible.

I have been thinking A LOT of pony stallions too... but I'm NOT well versed (yet) in what type to breed up to a fullsize mare. Would love to hear opinions on that.

Here is her pedigree And here's my favorite shot of her

More photos of her and her kids

I have no less than three outside stallions I want to put her to in the future for sure, Limet Hurry, Cadence in Color and Palladio (or ~* Palladio BLUE *~ ) but they're not in the cards for THIS year due to the whole not dealing with my own vet/budget etc. thing...

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, I'm looking for ideas that would compliment this mare, and still be doable for this year so she's neither open for a year, nor getting too late, because that starts a downward spiral which ends up in a year off eventually...

I WILL give her a year off before I'll 'settle' for a breeding that isn't worth doing... that's false economy. I'm hoping as breeders you'll understand where I'm coming from in not wanting to leave her open, and looking for ideas due to the unexpected turn of not being able to collect my guy.

Ideas? Suggestions? Ponies? Thanks in advance.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

on the pony side - check Vimpenny Sweet Sultan

On the cooled side - Gatsby

Cornell just got a lovely stallion called Waterford that might be a nice match for her. He's a young dutch stallion approved AWS that is by Consul and his stud fee is $500 including the booking fee. They also stand Juventus ($1000) and L'Andiamo ($1000), two of my FAVORITE stallions, but maybe too big for what you are looking for?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Do you know any other breeders interested in your stallion? Maybe they will make a trade you once he is collected..and hey there is nothing wrong with approaching them with a proposition, that is the practical side of running a business. Nice mare BTW>
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Thanks wg... She is even BETTER in person. I've been lusting after her for several years and fate conspired for her to end up here. Crestline used to have her--halfway around the world on the wrong coast.

Interesting idea about a swap. I haven't been advertising/marketing my guy as we've been concentrating on moving up the levels in training the past couple of years. I felt like I wanted to get him 3rd level and above... *and* available shipped before 'wasting' money on advertising yet.

Still--that's really interesting. Anyone? His son, out of my *Malachit daughter will be available next year too. He is yummy. It's kinda hard to beat Dad, but son is even better.

Off to look at the above suggestions. Dutch/AWS is good! I plan to use AWS or RPSI...

Gatsby... YUM, but a little out of the range for this particular breeding due to the financial stuff I wasn't PLANNING for. Off to see the pony.

How do we all feel about a 12yo having a year off? Having had many successfull, easy foalings previously?

Cornell is wonderful to work with.

IMO, Nevada is always a great deal, and we only charge booking, collection, and shipping until the mare is in foal.

There are lots of nice stallions available at decent prices this year. Check these two out though <smile>...one might work for you!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wynnew...8430736?ref=ts or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wynnew...5901835?ref=ts

Good luck with your search!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

My philosophy has always been that you don't get what you don't ask for. If you like a particular stallion talk to the owner and see if you can get a deal since you have a nice mare. The worst thing that could happen is they say no.

She is really pretty and beautiful markings. Schroeder is 6 and could compliment her nice. Email me at kathy@majesticgaits if your interested. His fees are going to go up next year so a good tiime use him.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Ohhh la la I love Schroeder, I still hope to be able to use him myself this year! Just a total knock-out if you ask me!

I think I saw that there was a really reasonable stud fee for Ser Gioveto. Maybe check him out.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...9&share_this=Y

My dear little Spot is always a no-brainer to breed, lol. I wouldn't stress about giving her the year off at all....BUT, that said...you know who I'd vote for! My Paisley is to-die-for....seriously!

:-)
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

How do we all feel about a 12yo having a year off? Having had many successfull, easy foalings previously?
    She is not that old.. but on the 'older side of things'.. my vet once told me with older mares make a choice to breed until they are officially retired as they tend to be more difficult to get back into foal after time off. The fact you want to use fresh semen may change the odds in your favor though. And as they get older... never know what could happen.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

PP, clean out your inbox! I tried to send you a PM and I couldn't.

I've got some ideas for you, but didn't want to post them "publicly."
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I came across this by accident.

http://www.northamericanstudbook.com...ion_deals.html

I am assuming a gray will not do--I bought stallion seasons for two young gray stallions at the breed auctions this winter --in a moment of optimism--which I am not sure I am going to use now.

I did not realize Hall of Fame had Pretense the xx stallion in his line-- also seen in another good xx hunter stallion Simbalu and the mare line of Touch of Class and Special Memories--it is a such small xx mare family I always perk up when I see it in a good sporthorse!

Good luck with her!

Default Clean out your PM box!!!

I have an idea for you. . . or PM me. . .

Thanks for the ideas so far! I have lots of homework to do t'night at work.

I cleaned out the PMs. I don't do cookies at work so I completely forget!

Some really good leads so far. I'm glad I posted. I was worried people would take it the wrong way... like "I want a cheap breeding" which isn't it at all. But I'm pretty strict on the budget, so if emergencies DO arise I'm not in a jam.

I'm off for a hay run... then a nap, then work. Will do some surfing t'night to be sure.

It is unfortunate that people would think that... Breeding *is* an expensive venture, I don't see what's wrong with trying to make it slightly less expensive...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Beaulieu's Farm has many young stallions offered at 1000$.

He is black (not a colored stallion), but the FEI dressage stallion Pik's Pride has just retired from competition and they are offering a breeding special at $1200 fresh with LFG. www.Germandressage.com