The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Question Any way to convert short billets to long billets, without going to a saddler?

    I know they make english to western, and western to english girth converters. How about AP saddle to Dressage saddle billet converters?

    I have an AP saddle with short billets, and a wide as a tank horse who is also chubby right now. She wears a 54in girth that fits her just fine, but me having to tighten the girth up high really hurts my lower back. My back is kind of messed up to begin with from my mare's younger years trying to convince me she was a bronc horse..

    Tightening the girth on a Dressage saddle doesn't hurt my back, because it's so much lower. Is there any way to use a short Dressage girth on an AP saddle, without taking it to a saddler and having long billets installed?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,300

    Default

    use a girth extender-

    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,300.html

    buckle them to the 1st or 2nd hole on your AP's billets...then buckle the dressage girth to them. It will look funny but who cares?



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    Spare billets are sold by leather supply companies.

    So long as there is no point billet (attached inside the panel, so you'd need to drop the panels to replace that one) if you know how to safely sew on the billets, using appropriate grade thread, you would cut the stitching for the old billets and stitch on the new, longer billets. The billets I've seen are pre-punched with the holes for sewing.

    To be honest, I know how to do it, and more than likely, I'd take it to a saddler.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    use a girth extender-

    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,300.html

    buckle them to the 1st or 2nd hole on your AP's billets...then buckle the dressage girth to them. It will look funny but who cares?
    I'd probably need 4 extenders total to make a Dressage girth fit.. the saddle is really teensie compared to my mare.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    Spare billets are sold by leather supply companies.

    So long as there is no point billet (attached inside the panel, so you'd need to drop the panels to replace that one) if you know how to safely sew on the billets, using appropriate grade thread, you would cut the stitching for the old billets and stitch on the new, longer billets. The billets I've seen are pre-punched with the holes for sewing.

    To be honest, I know how to do it, and more than likely, I'd take it to a saddler.
    It's a synthetic saddle, so I'm unsure if the billet changing would be different. Also, it has 4 billets per side, also making it a bit unusual.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,300

    Default

    Then just stand on a bucket to girth her up so you are taller than she is and just use what you have already??



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Dallas, NC
    Posts
    2,313

    Default

    How about a girth tightener? Be careful though it is easy to get TOO tight:

    http://www.freedomrider.com/Girth-En...Tightener.html
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

    Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    How about a girth tightener? Be careful though it is easy to get TOO tight:

    http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/3099/BB99
    Interesting, I've never seen that before! Have you ever used one? Does it work well?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Dallas, NC
    Posts
    2,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Interesting, I've never seen that before! Have you ever used one? Does it work well?
    I changed the link, I saw an ad for it for sale and they showed how it's used. I've never used one but been thinking about buying one. What I've read about though is it can really get a girth too tight easily, you don't need that much strength.

    http://www.freedomrider.com/Girth-En...Tightener.html
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

    Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    I changed the link, I saw an ad for it for sale and they showed how it's used. I've never used one but been thinking about buying one. What I've read about though is it can really get a girth too tight easily, you don't need that much strength.

    http://www.freedomrider.com/Girth-En...Tightener.html
    Yeah I typically already know what holes I want the girth to be on, on both sides, so overtightening wouldn't be a problem. I also don't tighten all at once. I put the saddle on, attach the girth, walk her around a bit, tighten the girth. Put the bridle on, give her a treat, tighten the girth. Pull my stirrups down from being run up, put on my helmet, tighten the girth. etc, etc.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    You would not want 4 long billets per side on a saddle. You should just choose the two that make the saddle balanced on your horse.

    Extra, long billets are a PITA, since they flap about.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    You would not want 4 long billets per side on a saddle. You should just choose the two that make the saddle balanced on your horse.

    Extra, long billets are a PITA, since they flap about.
    So as a saddler, would you remove the other 2 billets then? It'd look kinda silly to have 2 long billets and 2 short billets on both sides!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 27, 2006
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    But would anyone see the short ones?

    I need me a girth tightener, hands are both shot. I have to climb on the mounting block and that's to tighten a dressage girth.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2010
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    178

    Default

    What about using a pair of stirrup leathers as a SUPER long girth extender??? You could buy the synthetic for extra strength (I've seen nylon stirrup leathers that are very cheap but would be very strong, too ).
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    But would anyone see the short ones?

    I need me a girth tightener, hands are both shot. I have to climb on the mounting block and that's to tighten a dressage girth.
    Truth be told I didn't even think of getting on a block to tighten her girth.. but even that would be a problem, as I ride in pastures and fields a lot, no mounting block.

    Flame suit zipped, I usually climb up onto a gate and vault onto her back as she walks by.. do as I say, not as I do...
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NE_Rider View Post
    What about using a pair of stirrup leathers as a SUPER long girth extender??? You could buy the synthetic for extra strength (I've seen nylon stirrup leathers that are very cheap but would be very strong, too ).
    That's a neat idea, I never would've thought of that!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2010
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    That's a neat idea, I never would've thought of that!
    I wish I could take credit for the idea, but years ago I saw a Percheron being shown in a hunter class, and the his people had used stirrup leathers as girth extenders (for a long girth, no less LOL!!!).

    I came very close to having to do this with my Perch/TB, when the 56" girth plus girth extender wasn't enough!!! Yes....I seriously believe my horse was laughing at me while I was telling her to "suck it in."
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2003
    Location
    Way up north in Lobsta Country
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Any saddler or tack repair shop could make you a pair of custom length girth extenders.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    If it were my saddle, I'd leave the two short ones you do not want to use attached. Because, if you ever want to sell it, long billets can become short billets with a hole punch and a knife...and it will not affect the billet strength.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    Is it a Thorowgood by any chance?

    You can change out their billets.

    You *could* also lace new billets to the old, the way that you lace a long latigo on. If you were to use parachute cord or similar, it would be just as strong as stitching... Four or five holes worth.

    It's strong enough for long latigos...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Aug. 17, 2011, 07:00 PM
  2. Who else prefers short billets....
    By Carol O in forum Dressage
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
  3. Long billets short billets
    By aahunterjumper in forum Dressage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 3, 2011, 06:32 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov. 20, 2009, 11:55 AM
  5. Short billets vs long ones
    By Jim Knopf in forum Dressage
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan. 22, 2009, 11:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness