The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Speak To Me Of Hay

I am curious about people's opinions about hay. Given the choice of Timothy, Orchard Grass and Bermuda, which would you feed and why? I have a 21 yr. old TB who was diagnosed last year with Cushings. Doing well right now but has to have a grazing muzzle on when in pasture. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoy97 View Post
    I am curious about people's opinions about hay. Given the choice of Timothy, Orchard Grass and Bermuda, which would you feed and why? I have a 21 yr. old TB who was diagnosed last year with Cushings. Doing well right now but has to have a grazing muzzle on when in pasture. Thanks in advance.
    the best value for the money of course

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Price per weight being equal? I would feed whatever had the lowest sugar content, and was somewhat stemmy. Price not so equal, I would (and do) feed whatever is cheaper while still being nice hay. Timothy and orchard are very expensive down here and are only available in squares, so I feed nice coastal rounds (stored in my barn, peeled off and fed by the wheelbarrow load several times a day).

For a Cushings or IR horse, sugar content is very important. If he can't handle grass without a muzzle, then you need to make sure they hay isn't full of sugar as well.