The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding in Anne Arundel Co. MD

I have searched, but haven't really found the answers I'm looking for so here goes...

I am hoping to find out what a reasonable expectation would be for board in Southern Anne Arundel county. I am thinking of relocating there, and am looking in the Harwood/Lothian area. I would like to find a place that offers full and/or field board, no indoor necessary, no show program necessary (but would be nice if there was an instructor available, or I could bring my own), would like a decent ring with some jumps and some trails, and good, quality care for the horses. I am thinking maybe in the $400 range... or am I way off?? I am just looking for basic full care...I will handle blanketing, farrier visits, etc.

ANY info you could provide would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

What type of riding do you do?

You can see a complete list of barns in AA County here: http://www.marylandhorseindustry.org/Stables10.htm
    The ones in Southern AA that I'm personally familiar with include:
    Enticement Stables at Obligation Farm in Harwood (pretty inexpensive - neighbors to our farm)
    Glenwood Farm in Harwood (don't know if Nina has any openings, though)
    Baywood Farms in Harwood (doesn't meet your $400/month criteria)
    Holiday Stables in Harwood
    Oak Crest Farm in Harwood (one of my students teaches here and likes it).
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Thanks! I found a list of boarding stables, but was having a hard time pinpointing ones in the immediate area and ones with websites. I ride a little H/J, some hunter paces, and have dabbled in hunter trials. Mostly these days I ride for pleasure, but wouldn't mind a place where I could take some lessons and do more jumping.

Well, you could definitely get lessons at Glenwood (Nina's great -maybe SparklePlenty will post here soon - she boards there; Meredith Clark used to board there, too). Both Glenwood and Baywood have jumps (Baywood is home to Jamie's Jumps). My DH, Steuart, has had several clients that boarded at Obligation and would ride over for lessons with him - I don't know what type of lessons Obligation itself offers. Usually, the Marlborough Hunt Club Hunter Pace is held at our farm which is quite near to the farms I posted - not this year, though. If you were in the Lothian/Harwood area, you'd be close to Rosaryville SP where they have a Hunter Derby every year (FUN!). There are other farms around, as you can see by the list I posted, I just don't know much about them.

Edited to add: Glenwood Farm has a FB page if you're on FB...
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.