The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update on Cincy trailer wreck...and Scooby gets a group COTH hug. UPDATE June 3.

I start this anew to avoid the type of trailer debate and such on the original thread. My thinking is some would like some details on the condition of horses and humans as well as what seems to have caused it. I mentioned on the original thread these horses were taken to my vet's office and clinic and I was stopping in today anyway.

First off, these were regular Rodeo event competitors on the road for a competition with 2 horses. Mom, Dad, 13 year old boy currently ranked high in points for whatever organization they compete with and a little girl. One horse, Scooby Doo, is a very good, competitve Barrel Racer owned by them for some time. The other was newly purchased and also a rodeo event horse but I did not get the details.

Both horses were apparently thrown forward then dumped on their rears and forced to sit there for quite some time until they could get the front of the trailer low enough to free the doors. Injuries were mainly alot of lacerations and bruises on the face with more lacerations in various places (from sitting down and struggling, probably from the back hooves).

The recently purchased horse was shocky and developed colic so was taken to Rood and Riddle in Lexington later Sat evening. Surgery was authorized but he was euthanized on the table when it was apparent recovery was unlikely.

I met Scooby Doo, the 13 year old boy's barrel horse. Very good weight, shiny coat, well cared for and loved. He has a substantial laceration and numerous stitches up the back of a foreleg from knee to elbow and numerous bruises and scrapes (nothing below the knee though other then a scrape on one coronet band). The edema has gone down quite a bit (they said he looked like a boxer who lost when he came in) and he was moving squarely-they had him in a grass pen and he was nibbling pretty good if not chowing down. Ears up, alert, good eye. A little wonky and body sore still but he looks like he may make it. Know more in a few more days, only been 72 hours. Still on some meds.

On behalf of COTH I gave Scooby a big hug and scritched his ears. Ya'll can give him a jingle too. He is living in a deep bedded and huge clinic stall with windows and he gets daily turn out...and ALOT of attention from the staff and well wishers like myself.

The 13 year old boy was put into an induced coma but was able to squeeze a hand this morning when told Scooby was OK. Prognosis is guarded but improving. His younger sister is doing well but will need some facial surgeries. IIRC Mom and Dad were released and are recovering at home with some help from family.

Far as the wreck? It was an ACCIDENT. Happened smack in the middle of a very well known speed trap so the cops were there in less then 5 minutes. 65 is the posted limit and with all the "revenue enhancement" out and very visable on a nice Saturday afternoon? No way speed was a factor. Nice rig looked to be in good and well maintained shape. Theory is they ran over something and the left front blew and sent the truck hard left and into the shallow ditch then into and up the steep embankment stopping at the top just short of the southbound lanes then sliding back down the bank and, I guess, rolling over. Trailer just got planted on the back doors when the truck slid back and I guess the hitch popped off as the trailer stayed upright.

One mile on either side of where they wrecked there is no embankment and no median barrier. Just about 50 to 100 feet of flat grass. Nothing to stop that truck from crossing over or really flipping and rolling. They actually were lucky it happened where it did and help was so close.

No fault. No blame. And this family has enough grief to deal with. Here's to a swift recovery and return to the barrels for Scooby and his young owner.
    Last edited by findeight; Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: update
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thank you for posting an update. I hope the boy recovers quickly and is soon reunited with Scooby. Sorry to hear about the other horse.

Many jingles for the little boy and for Scooby. Well, the whole family actually. That is really scary.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

This is just everyone's nightmare. You just never know what can happen. My deepest condolences to the family and best wishes for recovery.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks for the update, and jingles for Scooby Doo and his boy.

The article mentioned an infant, do you know if they are okay?

Haven't seen them in years, but pretty sure this is my 2nd cousin. I know their son rides in this discipline. I need to contact the parents. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

It was a horrible bad wreck and yet it could have been so.much.worse. Thank you for the update and take good care of Scooby until his young owner can give him a hug.

prayers and hugs to everyone involved.

this is all of our worse nightmares

sending good thoughts

Thanks for the great update. Jingles for all.

Quote Originally Posted by lesgarcons View Post

The article mentioned an infant, do you know if they are okay?
    I dunno, would that be the little girl with facial injuries the vet clinic referred to?

If it is any consolation, the best possible care was given to both these horses, including hauling the one down to Rood and Riddle and going ahead with the surgery. Many are not so lucky. The care at my vets is top notch and they CARE very much about their patients.

Massage Lady, my condolences to you if this is your second cousin...and I bet they could use some help with 2 kids (my understanding is the kids are in different hospitals) and a horse in the hospital. Help they may need for some time. My prayers are with them and you as well.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've contacted some of the family, haven't heard anything! I will offer any services I can-especially to the horse that made it so far.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

So sorry about the horse that was lost. Jingles for all the survivors.
    And thank you for updating us.

I am sorry to ask this in this time of sorrow but wasn't there a dog involved also? Prayers for all concerned.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I'm sorry to hear about the horse having to be euthanized but Lebanon Equine is great (my vet too!) and in my experience they have never hestitated to send a horse down the road to Rood and Riddle.
    I hope everyone is on the mend and send out prayers to the family and jingles to Scooby.

Jingles for the family and the animals. (An injured dog mentioned in the article too?) Very scary indeed.

findeight - is Scooby the darker one?

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    I dunno, would that be the little girl with facial injuries the vet clinic referred to?
    Ah, I'm sure you're right. I'm a dummy. So glad to hear that she will be okay.

Thank you for the update. Continued prayers and jingles for the family and Scooby.

Very sorry about the one horse not making it and jingling for Scooby Doo and the family. Thanks for the info!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Massive jingles to everyone involved!

P.

Sending jingles for everyone involved......very scary!!!