The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation critique please!

Last edited by Milo19; May. 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

He's cute, but in your vid he looks off at the trot.

Despie his gangly appearance, this is quite a nice horse I think. I can't see the video so I'm going by the photos only.

He is well balanced with clean straight legs. His head is proportionate to his neck to his shoulder, trunk, and hind quarters. He has a level balance or maybe slightly up hill. The point of his hock is level with the chestnut of his front legs. If you drop a plumb line from the front of his wither, his elbow is at the plump line. His neck ties well to his shoulder, where the bottom of the neck is at/slightly above the point of shoulders.

The two things I don't quite like is his shoulder/hip angle is not slopy enough for my taste but it's by no means bad and once under correct training, that could change. And if I want to be really picky, I'd say his back is tad long. But again, not bad at all and once under correct training and build up some muscle at his top line, that can all change too.

Overall I think this is a very very nice youngster. He needs some grocery but I think he will turn out to be rather nice once put on some weight and under correct training to fill out some top line.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I can't tell anything from the pics you've posted--they're too dark, can barely make out the horse. Take him outside and take a couple pics, please....
    "If you can't be thankful for what you have, you can at least be thankful for what you've avoided." author unknown

What do you want to use him for? Also, have you already purchased him, or is he still under consideration? I don't see any glaring issues that would make him more likely to be unsound, but there are some things about him I don't love. A lot depends on what you'd be planning to do with him and also how much you like his brain.

He looks straight up and down, and he's standing like his feet hurt. I don't like those angles - looks like he trots like a jack hammer... however, I didn't watch the vid, can't at work. Something's wrong with his feet, and his back and neck are crouched to compensate.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I think he's very cute.

His pasterns look pretty upright and I wonder if the angles on his front feet are causing him problems. It's hard to see clearly because the photos are dark and he's not on a hard surface.

There wasn't much to watch in the video. He looks off to me but the quality of the video and the amount of time he's shown makes it difficult to evaluate.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

The pictures are to dark to really tell but the video, what was of it, he does look like he is off or sore somewhere but its hard to tell. Get some better pics and video.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thanks everyone!

I apologize for the quality of the pictures and video. It was dark in the arena and my camera isn't the best for indoor footage.

I thought I noticed a bit of an off somewhere in the front. It's difficult to tell because he has quite a springy trot, and the video is unsteady. I do know that when I ride him, he looks 100% sound, if that makes any difference. Could it just be a lack of balance on his own? Because when I ride him together, he appears sound.

How big of an issue are these things for his overall potential? I want him to be an eventer.

Thanks!

He seems to have a clubby foot? Maybe that's why he's uneven.

Hard to tell without better photos and video.

Few horses are perfect and even perfect horses aren't always sound . In fact there are many non conformationally correct horses that stay sound and are very athletic. There's nothing hugely glaring. If he's a bit upright that could be fixed with corrective shoeing. If he's off, you'll need to figure out why.

Even with some conformational challenges he could do just fine. I think the test comes when you have him in work doing the job that you want to do and see how he holds up.

Most horses can compete just fine at novice and training level. I don't know what your goals are for him.

Kudos to you for taking him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo19 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I apologize for the quality of the pictures and video. It was dark in the arena and my camera isn't the best for indoor footage.

I thought I noticed a bit of an off somewhere in the front. It's difficult to tell because he has quite a springy trot, and the video is unsteady. I do know that when I ride him, he looks 100% sound, if that makes any difference. Could it just be a lack of balance on his own? Because when I ride him together, he appears sound.

How big of an issue are these things for his overall potential? I want him to be an eventer.

Thanks!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Are his feet really that upright naturally?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

When you evaluate a horse, you really need to look at the overall balance of the horse first, and then move on to specific parts. Overall he is very well balanced. All his major body ratios are decent and most body angles are good.

His head looks too big at the first glance but that is really the illusion of him grossly lacking muscle on his neck, and lacking fitness overall. So is the slight dip in front of his wither.

Like I said, his shoulder angle/hip angle seem upright, and that also reflects on his pasturn angle (they tend to mimic each other). However, since his front legs placement are close to ideal, I will bet once he is under correct training, the angle will change for the better, and with decent trimming, so will the pasturn angle.

I think you will be very happy with him, assuming he has a good mind that is.

Try to get some footage of him under saddle or at least on a lunge. OUTSIDE.

I am going to reserve judgement. I can't even see the potos, too dark. In the video he does not take enough consecutive steps at the trot to show much of anything, need to see a lap of that ring in an unrestricted trot to decide. 10 slow steps and stopping doesn't get the job done as far as evaluation.

Right now, all I can see is he moves short and stabby in front and does not take the same size step. That could mean he is lame, could be the result of straight angles and short bone or it could be he just is not stepping out enough for long enough to get going and he is just backed off.

Can't tell.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

New photos (and videos to come) in this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=258779

Bump.