The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default tack shopping around alpharetta, GA

hi all!
    heading to alpharetta for a day of tack shopping (from s.c.)

need suggestions of where to go and how to get there

we want to start at the used stores if possible, then work our way out from there.

places to go? not go? places we would miss if you don't say, hey, go HERE!

thanks!

carovet

Dover Saddlery - 670 North Main Street, 770-777-1952

Atlanta Saddlery - Hwy 9 N, 404-845-0590

Snooty Fox Tack Exchange - 11940 Alpharetta Highway #129, 770-664-6736

Hamp Phillips - don't have the street address, but it is a "home-based" business (actually tack trailers in the side yard). Not a fancy place and there isn't much in the way of actual tack for sport horses, but they have good prices on basic grooming supplies, halters, lead ropes, etc. There is not a sign, but you take Hopewell Road heading north out of Alpharetta (stay on Hopewell - you will have to turn left at intersection of Hopewell,Francis,Cogburn). Hamp's is on the left between Hamby Road and Longstreet Road - go past the main entrance to The Manor (mega mansions), then look for an old building on left where they park school buses (used to be M&M Motors eons ago). Hamp's is the driveway just before the old building.
    Last edited by DownYonder; May. 25, 2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo!

1 members found this post helpful.

Support the local stores...Atlanta Saddlery. They are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by luckles View Post
    Support the local stores...Atlanta Saddlery. They are wonderful.
    Sorry, I meant to say Atlanta Saddlery. Not sure why I typed Alpharetta Saddlery - not enough coffee, I guess!

Those are all great ones. If you don't find anything there you can also try Horse and Hound in Gainesville. Not sure the address but you can google and gps it. She has used saddles also and gives good deals.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Slightly easier directions to Hamp's (from Dover Saddlery)
    take a left out of dover
    Left at the BP station with an A&W and a Wachovia. The sign may say Winward Parkway. Walmart is also off in the distance
    Stay straight for several miles
    Pass the Manor (huge houses)
    Hamp is on the left look for a big new house next to a small brick ranch from the 50's with large trees in front. the gravel drive just past is him. there are horse trailers for sale and cavaletti and standards.

Snooty Fox is... snooty
    Atlanta Saddlery is one of the BEST places to buy high quality tack
    Dover is great if you've already picked out things from the catalog
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Its been about a year since i went tack shopping in that area, but Atlanta saddlery had some DARN good deals on a few high end saddles that had a scratch or two or just been sitting there too long the time i went. I was also very happy with the service, and they knew i was not ready to buy that day. I did end up spending a good $100 on other odds and ends...

The Snooty Fox, eh. I could have done without, but i did buy some used halters cheap. I think if you have kids that are outgrowing their stuff on a monthly basis, it's a good stop, but i wasnt real impressed with their selection of used dressage saddles, most were pretty beat up or really ancient, and they just tossed them around.

There was another one that i really liked, The English Rider, but i heard they closed recently. I actually had a couple saddles on consignment with them and bought a REALLY nice pony bridle 65% off. A shame they didnt make it, it was a nice clean little store. I think i easily spent $300 in that store and came out loaded. BUT, they had a really good bargain table that day with a lot of every day stuff that i needed.

I only go to dover to try stuff on and then bargain shop online to get it cheaper. But they have had some good sales i've gotten lucky with a time or two. I've found their "help" is not very helpful, and some are borderline rude or have no idea what they are talking about, or would rather socialize with co-workers than help shoppers.

Very convenient they are all on the same road...