The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 62 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2400

Default Where is Dick Hertz?

Racetrack Jack,

Maybe Dick Hertz knows who needs to be asking those questions of SB. Obviously, Todd M isnt. The board isnt, the commission isnt, McErlean isnt......
    Who is the person enforcing the no-slaughter policy?

But, if it were some other trainer... that above mentioned group would be the lynch mob with rope ready..... stewards each holding the match, commission piling on the wood... and there would be a burning at the stake..... complete annihilation!

Dick Hertz pointed out before and many times that there is dual treatment of the backside horsemen -- this is
    the prime example.

Aside from the mixings of personal/business........
    Policy is Policy.
    Its not in someone elses backyard anymore....... your Pres brought it home.
    Racing>Business As Usual @PN

We removed a recent tangent stemming from a new user posting in violation of our terms of service.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Penn National should remove their anti slaughter policy effective immediately. They, under no shape or circumstance, have any intention of ever enforcing it. It has but once again made them the laughing stock and dysfunctional joke of the racing world. Their response to this policy has been so pathetically weak, that I get phone calls on a weekly basis asking me how I can stand to tolerate a company that enforces rules like their running some kind of fly by night, thrown together, weekend community fair

So remove the policy or put someone in power that doesn't stain his underwear every time a tough decision has to be made. Acquire a person who has not been gelded to stand up and say you will follow our rules. Bring someone in who won't just pound his fist like a raving madman in the track kitchen, but a person who actually commits to his word. For God's sake get some people with some pride that don't want to look like fools week in and week out. But we know this is impossible so just stop the bleeding and repeal the useless phantom policy that is bringing the ridicule of animal lovers across the country

And as a side note, a person that counts attendance and manages quality control at an OTW is not qualified to make maintenance and safety decisions on a racetrack surface. Maybe he could learn to operate a horse ambulance and actually serve a productive purpose for once. Aren't you bozos utterly embarrassed enough to start making changes yet? Is anyone in this management group not a shivering, gutless walking disaster? Enough is enough already
    Free Dick Hertz! !!

Its been documented repeatedly that PN offers bias treatment to certain individuals -- persecutes others, and boasts (yes they do)...that its their playground and they can do as they choose. This mentality includes state vets, rac.sec. stewards, commission...all watching each others back to do as they please as situations arise...

Mike Papadda losing his stalls was the warning...if he were to pursue his agenda, surely there would be some reason to eject him.

Anyone on the backside for even a short time can cite examples they've either witnessed or confronted themselves.

ANYONE would be stunned that infractions of this volumn are being ignored and even more shocked that the offender is being protected.

Where is the RACE fund to ask those hard questions?
    Where is turning for home in Philly to ask as well.?
    Where is PETA?
    Where are humane officials to investigate?

That this racecourse endorses horse slaughter should be a huge waving red flag to many horse welfare agencies? !

Isnt anyone going to step to the plate to protect these horses from such a (guaranteed) horrific fate?

Default Penn National - Animal cruelty - Fraud

I clearly recall NTRA President Alex Waldrop the day after Eight Belles's horrific death, swearing to reporters and all that horses were priority #1 in racing.

REALLY?
    WHERE?
    HOW?

Dick, I can't think of one thing that rob Marella has done since being at Penn as Director of racing. He constantly talks out of both sides of his mouth and seemingly has a fondness for felons. As far as drawing up a respectable resume for his next employer that would have to be virtually impossible. He would be probably best suited in some dive bar being used in midget tossing contests. Oh well, BUSINESS AS USUAL!!

Question

You have to wonder what would happen if there were micro-chips in TB's like the europeans use.

Wave a scanner over one as it enters an Auction or slaughter chute and you know who,what horse was. With computer tech and accurate data base information updates even where horse came from last.

But that sort of information and technology would completely defeat Penn's slant of feedom of enterprise to secondary market your horses for slaughter.

Didn't SB make it one of her handshaking tour promises to remove Todd from his perch??
    Didn't she promise the board????

Her theme song...Promises Promises ...Broken Promises...go run for a political spot in Washington SB you will fit like a foot to mouth.

I dont think PN or any other racetrack is really gonna care if an animal welfare group came in and raised a fuss, unless it was heard by the general public- the vector of change might be the racing fans themselves- those people who feed their hard earned money into this machine- the common person is generally horrified when they find out what happens to so many of our TBs, and this drives them away from the track or gets them vocal about what happens to our horses- they are probably the ones with the power in the end- they are the customer that the track needs to keep happy and coming back.......

This was crossposted on ABR:

Posting on behalf of the breeder:

I am the breeder of a lovely big almost black colt named Elle Jouet (2005 Vindication—Sheena’s Gold). He was last seen at Penn National sometime in February as far as I can research. I would very much like to locate him and assure his safety. He was an expensive yearling ($275,000) who unfortunately developed a bad foot problem of some kind and did not make it to the races until he was 4, running for a $5000 claiming price. He has virtually no markings except white hairs from a scar on his left (?) ankle.
    If you could be on the lookout for him I would greatly appreciate it. I am attaching a few pictures of him as a yearling.

Regards, Ginger Emerson
    gem25@insightbb.com

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Default ATTN: Penn National Horsemen: Owner's Day 2010

Penn National has announced that once again there will be an Owner's Day BUT the purse boost that was implemented in 2009 will not be given in 2010. It seems that The HPBA funds are running quite low due to the fact that they are still paying for the diamond studded watch that they presented Stephanie Beattie just a few weeks ago when they recognized her for being the top trainer in 2009. however the HPBA will still supply salami and cheeses sandwiches on the track apron during Owner's Day, a huge upgrade from the sh** sandwiches that have being served here on a daily basis. It's also been announced that restaurant legend Donald Brown will also supply hot dogs for everyone with a limit of two per person. also the ever generous John Krulock aka "Donut Man" will supply dessert, unlimited donuts for all.

Steph deserved the gift for an outstanding accomplishment in her career. She busts her tail for all horsemen and deserves a little more gratitude than what she is being given on this site. Is it wrong to receive a gift for an outstanding career accomplishement? Give me a break, people.

And cut the personal attacks on the successful people at this track. Krulock simply runs an effective business. He is able to get small fields to go when others can't and was able to get a full barn for Gill when most people can't acquire one stall. But, this is not illegal. Personal relationship building is how we get ahead and build business. Any mention of him owning horses with Paul Jenkins or setting up stall payments is reckless and untrue. Come on, Jenkins was already accussed of this in the past. Do you really think that he would risk it all to make a few extra dollars? Bottom line is if you don't have solid proof or anything productive to say,keep your mouth shut.

And by the way, how have you all been making out with your solid proof challenge that I gave you regarding Steph? NADA!!!!!! Not a single one of you could provide one single horse from the last year that was put in harms way. Admit it, secretly some of you feel like complete fools for even making those false statements in the first place. Apologies anyone? Or are we just too big to admit that we were wrong.

OK, I'll stop gloating now. Let's make this more about productive change. Instead of slandering her name all over the internet, how about asking some questions so that she has a fair chance to prove that she is a good person. All of you seem to put a ton of effort into bashing her and digging up old personal skeletons. If you really care about answers how about using some of that horse caring energy to compile a list of horses from her barn that have not run in a few months or that you assume are retired for their careers. List them by owner and the last date of their race and go back as far as you would like to in time (within reason). I'm quite confident that Steph will be able to answer for where the horses have gone and put all of your nonsense and fears to rest for good. And then the apologies can begin. All of you are obligated.

Default sounds mean, but its true

what about Contrary? jan 2010
    was that him running in the race on the video? perhaps not....but this was his fate!
    and the fate of the rest of sb's throwaways.(and yes, other trainers at PN)
    Careful johnnie...someday you may be one of those too --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpx5x3ks_qw
    Last edited by SwtVixen; Jun. 26, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sunwack View Post
    keep your mouth shut.
    Or you will lose your stalls just like the last guy. What did I say about them sending this message out to all other horsemen. "Keep your mouth shut" or lose stalls. And if you don't have stalls, they will get you one way or another. This is the message that was sent when they took Michael Pappada's stalls.

I can read these clowns like a book.

Dick, you're unfairly transferring the blame here. If you are looking for enforcement of the anti slaughter policy look to PNGI not the HBPA. It's Penn's policy and their responsibility to enforce it. Asking the HBPA for action on this is like asking a community crime watch group to slap the handcuffs on neighborhood criminals. They just are not relevant enough nor do they possess the power to act in this fashion

And I'm still waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is in regards to Steph. I invite you to get productive and participate in clearing Stephs name by providing a list of her non active runners. And when she produces the desired result you can slump back into your computer chair like the true scared introverted internet geek that you are. At that point you can apologize to Steph and move on to your next absurd hidden agenda. We are waiting Dick Hertz or should I say last name Less

Quote Originally Posted by John Sunwack View Post

If you really care about answers how about using some of that horse caring energy to compile a list of horses from her barn that have not run in a few months or that you assume are retired for their careers. List them by owner and the last date of their race and go back as far as you would like to in time (within reason). I'm quite confident that Steph will be able to answer for where the horses have gone and put all of your nonsense and fears to rest for good. And then the apologies can begin. All of you are obligated.
    Ok I will bite Sunwack.

Buenisima 5/2/10: Owner: Robert Cole
    Gracie's Choice 4/2/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie & Donald L. Brown Jr.
    Whowearsthepants 4/2/10: Owner: Donald L. Brown Jr.
    Iron Woman 1/13/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie
    Contrary 1/13/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie
    Akin 1/6/10: Owner: Donald L. Brown Jr.

Can't wait to hear about the whereabouts of these horses.

Dick, I feel like you continue to spew out nonsense but never really listen to the voice of reason. The HBPA could put together a slaughter policy as elaborate as the US Constitution but it could all be for not. They have little policy making ability and virtually no enforcement powers when it comes to a touchy Penn policy like this. Any piece of writing that they present to Penn could be chalked up to only a recommendation. And we all know how seriously they consider those from horsemen

But seriously Dick, what are you going to do now that you have nothing to talk about? No arrests, a failed investigation, an HBPA president who has beat all false allegations and is thriving in her role (we will call it PENN Renaissance ) , and a commission that is working on more effective drug rules. You're going to have to start painting toy soldiers or play dress up medieval knights and princesses with the rest of the geek squad. Either that or actually grow up and admit your petty, childish mistakes

Ok John, you know so much. why doesn't your "golden girl " begin to tell us the wherabouts of those six horses. Or did her memory fail her once again?

Dick, who was responsible for mike getting his stalls back? you mean to tell me that Todd mostoller finally did something for someone other than a "Beattie"?

Cool He Won't answer

Quote Originally Posted by WhaWhaWhat View Post
    Ok I will bite Sunwack.

Buenisima 5/2/10: Owner: Robert Cole
    Gracie's Choice 4/2/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie & Donald L. Brown Jr.
    Whowearsthepants 4/2/10: Owner: Donald L. Brown Jr.
    Iron Woman 1/13/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie
    Contrary 1/13/10: Owner: Stephanie S. Beattie
    Akin 1/6/10: Owner: Donald L. Brown Jr.

Can't wait to hear about the whereabouts of these horses.
    He still hasn't answered my questions and I'm pretty sure he can't.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.