The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 81 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2420

Actually Giddyapgirl, when I did work and go's I put the bridle over the halter.. then when it came time to go home, just strip the bridle off, and wa-la... halter!
    Neeeeeext problem...that was easy. <WEG>
    truthfully, only funnin' with you ... if thats your worst crisis of the day, you are lucky.

Im curious why now... there are folks coming on defending SB and her "accountability" issues......maybe shes trying to get the story straight for the GJ? My money is on them(GJ) to get the answers -- the information is out there now.

Judybigredpony --- did anyone do any advertising for volunteers? I cant imagine it would be hard to find riders...
    now-farriers? pro-bono? dont think thats part of their vocabulary/good luck there>maybe a farrier school would have training days for PN horses? Along the same lines> How about recent vet school grads, or approaching a school on interships as part of their graduate studies? maybe the school can find a grant to subsidize. What has NV done in their other programs? (I honestly dont know)

Speaking of school> quote>pinkdiamondracing> too old to go to college ----------- Never! I know (women) who graduated in their very later years, after raising their families!
    Learning is learning, and everyday is opportunity; theres no time-limit or deadline on that.
    And while I'm at it... taking the posture of being a victim doesnt suit you or do well for gaining favor -- be responsibile to yourself -- no one can ruin your life but you.
    Lastly, since you are the last owner of a horse, YES, it IS your responsibility...and that started the day you took ownership -- a little forethought for the aftercare is needed, like... to stop racing while the horse is still sound and able to be rehomed. If you saw more owners being held responsible for their animals, you'd see better care...! as of now, its just too easy to dump into rescues, or demand the track/or horsemans assoc pick up the tab(let me clarify that the now PN retraining program funded BY the horsemen for the horsemen is a whole different measure)... slaughter was just a cowards way out.

{quote} I think Taylor Hole would disagree with you.
    I KNOW he would, and a few others. but I'm sure you meant that but was only being polite.
    Its not in someone elses backyard anymore....... your Pres brought it home.
    Racing>Business As Usual @PN

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Giddyapgirl, what I DO NOT GET is why you didn't just put the halter on over the bridle and load the darn horse...if need be pull the bridle off out from under the halter and get on with your day...this little tantrum isn't going to fix any issue.
    It only solidifies Penns wish to get rid of horses period..........Save the fight for another day another battle that can be won.

Pink Diamond grow up or go marry SB, become her BFF but don't shove it down our throats on this board.

The 4H ladies name is???

and 4H today isn't yester years 4H.
    How about you grow up and face the fact that sometimes bad things happen in life and that not everyone is going to be a animal rights activist, eat tofu, and wipe their butt with something other than a product made out of a helpless little tree???
    Don't shove it down your throat?? How about you not shove down my throat your bleeding heart-save each and every poor little horsie on the planet- b.s.--- not everyone is going to agree with your way of thinking-- so deal with it--

How the freakin he!! do I know what the 4H lady's name is??? I have had no dealings with her--

Like I said before-- I don't doubt that Steph has made mistakes, all I said in the first place is that I have seen firsthand the effort being put in to make a change--- a horse who easily could go back to racing is now going to be placed with New Vocations so I think people should cut her some slack and give her a chance to prove that things will be different from now on. Frankly, I could give a rat's a$$ about what she did in the past, but even if this is the only horse that she doesn't send to slaughter or the "4H lady" that's at least one that get a second chance-- I think if the horse were mine and I had the money into him that these people do, I would be severely tempted to at least rehab him and put him backinto training and see how it went. If the horse didn't hold up to getting back into shape, then of course I would send him to another job, but I am afraid I would have to give it a shot, especially considering the horse was running competitively with the fracture prior to them claiming him-- as I said-- the fracture is not new it is old, which makes the guy she claimed him from the monster, not her (wonder how many others she has claimed that were already injured that were running anyway,so it isn't just her doing it)

I do not appreciate being told to"go marry SB" talk about being immature---I am already married thanks!!!

I used to really enjoy this board when it was actually about racing not about slaughter-- I am sick to death of every thread on these forums deteriorating into an anti-slaughter thread!!!!!!!

Lastly-- I am really glad that Penn is not my home track with all of you armchair bleeding hearts stalking my each and every move-- talk about needing to get a life!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I have also fogot to mention last night on my blog entry concerning Stephanie and my personally knowing Stephanie and the 4H woman. Not only the 4H woman,her husband, teenagers daughters and been to her home/farm. The was MORE THAN A FEW OCCASIONS when she would DRIVE 3 HOURS from her home town (which I will not disclose ) FOR ONE HORSE NEVER EVER ASK FOR GAS MONEY OR ANY ASSISTANCE FROM US. ie meeting 1/2 way,gas etc. She WOULD DRIVE FOR ONE HORSE AND ALWAYS BRING HER FAMILY IN TOW. SHE ALSO DID SO FOR STEPHANIE. Now doesn't that sound ridiculous that this woman would do a 6 hour trip round trip without ever asking for a dime in gas money and with her family in tow to pick up one HORSE TO BRING TO SLAUGHTER HOUSE DEALERS. YOU [edit] HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT. As I explained last night the 4H lady does exist FOR ALL THE REASONS STATED LAST NIGHT AND TODAY. NOW WHAT'S NEXT FOR YOU [edit] TO GRAB ON TO AND RUN WITH. DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE FAMILY FRIENDS OR A HOBBY TO SPEND TIME WITH?????? I will say some of you deserve "Jr. Detective " Awards. If nothing else some of you people's theories ARE QUITE ENTERTAINING. LOL LOL LOL
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 8, 2010 at 07:54 AM.

I know my opinion does not matter one bit, but I must admit that my recollection of PDR was the "high" she was on at the Derby when she was chosen to pony one of the race horses. Her story was such a good story .. ponying with her old horse.
    Ha... now we see the true colours!! and it ain't pink!

You, being the last owner/trainer of a horse, made money or were hoping to make money with that horse. So, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it has a proper future (even if it is a dignified end). After all, I guess you appreciated someone brought that horse to the world so you could "earn a living".

Funny how SB is now such a good girl and placing her horses when she obviously did not care what happened to them very recently. So? Did the 4H lady get Contrary too? and any of the others mentioned previously? Maybe us "freaks" freaked her enough to change a modus operandi? (that's latin too)...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
    How about you grow up and face the fact that sometimes bad things happen in life and that not everyone is going to be a animal rights activist, eat tofu, and wipe their butt with something other than a product made out of a helpless little tree???
    Don't shove it down your throat?? How about you not shove down my throat your bleeding heart-save each and every poor little horsie on the planet- b.s.--- not everyone is going to agree with your way of thinking-- so deal with it--

How the freakin he!! do I know what the 4H lady's name is??? I have had no dealings with her--

Like I said before-- I don't doubt that Steph has made mistakes, all I said in the first place is that I have seen firsthand the effort being put in to make a change--- a horse who easily could go back to racing is now going to be placed with New Vocations so I think people should cut her some slack and give her a chance to prove that things will be different from now on. Frankly, I could give a rat's a$$ about what she did in the past, but even if this is the only horse that she doesn't send to slaughter or the "4H lady" that's at least one that get a second chance-- I think if the horse were mine and I had the money into him that these people do, I would be severely tempted to at least rehab him and put him backinto training and see how it went. If the horse didn't hold up to getting back into shape, then of course I would send him to another job, but I am afraid I would have to give it a shot, especially considering the horse was running competitively with the fracture prior to them claiming him-- as I said-- the fracture is not new it is old, which makes the guy she claimed him from the monster, not her (wonder how many others she has claimed that were already injured that were running anyway,so it isn't just her doing it)

I do not appreciate being told to"go marry SB" talk about being immature---I am already married thanks!!!

I used to really enjoy this board when it was actually about racing not about slaughter-- I am sick to death of every thread on these forums deteriorating into an anti-slaughter thread!!!!!!!

Lastly-- I am really glad that Penn is not my home track with all of you armchair bleeding hearts stalking my each and every move-- talk about needing to get a life!!!
    Nice people skills. I hope you get along better with your animals, although by your own admission, they are of no value to you except as a means to earn a paycheck. Have you ever considered that perhaps your lack of a college education isn't *actually* the reason your employment options are limited?

For what it's worth: There are numerous shades of gray between the bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, animal rights activist position and yours. Animal welfare is one such position. Individual responsibility is another.
    Clowns to the Left or me Jokers to the Right...here I am...stuck in the middle

How about you grow up and face the fact that sometimes bad things happen in life and that not everyone is going to be a animal rights activist, Well since I'm not one lets move on... eat tofu,Actually prefer Steak Rare..... and wipe their butt with something other than a product made out of a helpless little tree???EEww thats gotta chaff.....Don't shove it down your throat?? How about you not shove down my throat your bleeding heart-save each and every poor little horsie on the planet- b.s.--- not everyone is going to agree with your way of thinking-- so deal with it--

Well since you never took the time to actually read any of the past post you are definately on the wrong road here...maybe your on the way to 4H.
    I do not a hoarder, am neutral slaughter since it has its place, but in an more acceptable manner,not a tree hugger cause burn wood in my fireplaces, defiantely a meat eater...and since I can read n write n do my sums and make more than minimum wage...from my horses no less guess I'm one up one you in alot of ways.
    So lets all get back on topic and stop stooping (like moi) to these obvious antagonisitc tactics to shut us down...back to regularly scheduled program...

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I know my opinion does not matter one bit, but I must admit that my recollection of PDR was the "high" she was on at the Derby when she was chosen to pony one of the race horses. Her story was such a good story .. ponying with her old horse.
    Ha... now we see the true colours!! and it ain't pink!

You, being the last owner/trainer of a horse, made money or were hoping to make money with that horse. So, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it has a proper future (even if it is a dignified end). After all, I guess you appreciated someone brought that horse to the world so you could "earn a living".

Funny how SB is now such a good girl and placing her horses when she obviously did not care what happened to them very recently. So? Did the 4H lady get Contrary too? and any of the others mentioned previously? Maybe us "freaks" freaked her enough to change a modus operandi? (that's latin too)...
    That horse I used at the Derby is still with me and always will be-- I for one, have actually never sent a horse to slaughter, and never will, but I doesn't mean that I don't feel it had it's place.
    The horses that do cross my path find homes-- I have placed one with a girl in TN that I was given to make a riding horse out of-- whenI found out he was not giong to stay sound enough for me to use, I found him a HOME!!!! I am not condoning slaughter, but I am asking for people to give a person a chance to change-- someone gave me one once, so it proves that everyone deserves a second chance--

When I posted this morning it was to let those of you know that SB was at least making an effort to do the right thing-- why she has chosen to do this shouldn't matter, what happened before should be not necessarily forgiven but perhaps we should let what happens in the future determine how we look at others.

I did not mean to get into a verbal pi$$ing match with everyone but I believe in second chances--- for people and horses-- so I just feel that SB deserves a chance to do better-- she has cleaned house at her barn from what I am told and has been on a mission to change "business as usual"

That's all I have to say-- I did not mean to get so riled up but like I said, if those who are complaining are not an active part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

It is also not my intention to get this thread shut down, but I would like talk about someone else besides SB-- surely there are those who have not made an effort-- can't we attack them for a while??

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    Nice people skills. I hope you get along better with your animals, although by your own admission, they are of no value to you except as a means to earn a paycheck. Have you ever considered that perhaps your lack of a college education isn't *actually* the reason your employment options are limited?

For what it's worth: There are numerous shades of gray between the bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, animal rights activist position and yours. Animal welfare is one such position. Individual responsibility is another.
    I never clamied to have good people skills-- I tend to speak what comes through my brain--

Horses do have value to me--- they are the reason I live-- and the ones who cross my path mean everything to me--- even the ones I can't help. I have had to harden my heart to this business I am in, because if I don't I would be as bad as those hoarders they show on T.V.-- if my farm was any bigger-- I would be financially ruined, as it would have more unwanted racehorses on it than I could feed, but I know I can not save them all. So if someone sends one to slaughter, although it's not decision I could make I don't find fault-- for I can not take another-- I can barely afford the ones I have. I wish I really could take more I do-- because I would!!!!

I do my part-- like I said on my Derby Day posts--- I have kept the ones I could-- the others I have done the best I could for---- but I have never sent one to slaughter--- and I never will--- I will euthanize before I do that.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post

Well since you never took the time to actually read any of the past post you are definately on the wrong road here...maybe your on the way to 4H.
    I do not a hoarder, am neutral slaughter since it has its place, but in an more acceptable manner,not a tree hugger cause burn wood in my fireplaces, defiantely a meat eater...and since I can read n write n do my sums and make more than minimum wage...from my horses no less guess I'm one up one you in alot of ways.
    So lets all get back on topic and stop stooping (like moi) to these obvious antagonisitc tactics to shut us down...back to regularly scheduled program...
    Judy-- I have read every post every page-- and I think you deserve an apology from me and so do the others--- I was out of line and I am sorry-- I am not trying to shut the thread down, but I am trying to bring to light the fact that it appears that SB is making an effort-- and people need to be mindful of that-- continuing to attack her is not going to bring back the ones that are gone, but it may prevent her from doing the right thing for the ones in the future-- that's all I am saying-- give her a chance to change-- I know from my own struggles in life, that sometimes changing a behavior is not easy, and sometimes you screw up no matter how hard you try.

those who are complaining are not an active part of the solution
    I think many of those who have been posting and "complaining" have been an "active part of the solution" and because of them, house will soon be cleaned at Penn National.

For those of you that have been posting and speaking up for the horses who can't defend themselves, don't let these types silence you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
    I think many of those who have been posting and "complaining" have been an "active part of the solution" and because of them, house will soon be cleaned at Penn National.

For those of you that have been posting and speaking up for the horses who can't defend themselves, don't let these types silence you.
    Dahoss-- I think you are confused as to what I meant about being part of the problem--
    What I said in my post was if you are complaining and are not an active part of the solution-- meaning that you are adopting and caring for these "kill pen" horses, then that makes you a part of the problem-- there has to be a place for these horses--whether its at your house, my house, Judybigredpony's houses or whatever--

That is what I meant by being part of the solution----- there has to be a place for these horses--- not everyone who is in the racing business is set up to rehab and retrain them-- some of these people who train are living literally hand to mouth on the money these horses make for them-- there isn't any extra-- sometimes they are going broke on farrier's fees, vet bills, shipping costs, feed, etc-- when the horse doesn't make any money, neither does the trainer--because day money really doesn't go very far to paying those expenses---more often than not trainers at tracks like Penn have horses on a deal-- meaning they split the earnings with the owner and the owner does not pay day money, so the trainer is absorbing all the costs in hopes of the horse making a check.

This is not a sound business practice, but it happens a lot. Just saying.

I keep reading and re-reading your posts PDR, and curious for your reasoning on writing here.
    You openly state you support slaughter --
    You openly feel its someone elses responsibility to adopt, rehome, retrain retiring horses, in any condition they may be; not the owner's responsibility.
    You have confessed for SB of her past actions sending horses to slaughter, with knowledge. (changing now doesnt change the past)
    You dont seem to feel past actions need accountability....
    and you are lacking a platform.

Did I miss anything?
    Oh yes, a thank you for validating SB's actions which we all knew were factual, just needing a little more testimony.
    Last edited by SwtVixen; Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Its not in someone elses backyard anymore....... your Pres brought it home.
    Racing>Business As Usual @PN

What I said in my post was if you are complaining and are not an active part of the solution-- meaning that you are adopting and caring for these "kill pen" horses, then that makes you a part of the problem-- there has to be a place for these horses--whether its at your house, my house, Judybigredpony's houses or whatever--

That is what I meant by being part of the solution----- there has to be a place for these horses---
    Wow, just wow.

So you expect the general public to clean up the mess you and others are creating by unloading their horses after they have no use for them any longer?

Maybe sorts like yourself should get into a business that doesn't involve living, breathing species.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by racing1120 View Post
    I just love when people don't have any idea what they are talking about on this website. SB isnt giving her horses away to slaughter. I know her personally and also know personally the 4H person she gives her horses to. Dont you think it would be a little stupid of the LEADING TRAINER AT SEVERAL RACETRACKS to give horses away to slaughter. The people that seem to want to write the things they do about Stephanie obviously have nothing better to do and to some degree are jealous of her success. I WILL GAURANTEE BECAUSE I KNOW FOR A FACT that NONE of her horses have been given away to SLAUGHTER WITH HER DIRECT KNOWLEDGE. Dont you think if there was CONCRETE PROOF NOT SPECULATION CONCRETE PROOF SHE WOULD BE IN JAIL BY NOW !!!! I admire organizations that save horses from slaughter and people that go to the kill pens at the auctions and save those horses thank god those people and organizations exist. I think that instead of so many people spending there time on this website bad mouthing Stephanie maybe you could spend the time at an auction trying to figure out how to get these horses homes. Do the people who sit on there computers badmouthing a trainer that has had an enourmous amount of success thing that what they say will shine more light of Stephanie than is already on her. Its the smaller outfits and the jipp half ass trainers know one pays attention to that people need to keep there eye on. Not Stephanie. Cannot stress enough how off base people can be.

don't be so stupid. She wouldn't be in jail. It's not against the law to send a horse to slaughter.

It has already been proven that horses she trained went to slaughter through her doing. She just went through the back door to do it. It has also been determined there is no 4-H lady who accepts her broken down race horses.

No one here is jealous of Stephanie Beattie. I can't imagine anyone who would want to be like her.

Quote Originally Posted by SwtVixen View Post
    I keep reading and re-reading your posts PDR, and curious for your reasoning on writing here.
    You openly state you support slaughter --
    You openly feel its someone elses responsibility to adopt, rehome, retrain retiring horses, in any condition they may be; not the owner's responsibility.
    You have confessed for SB of her past actions sending horses to slaughter, with knowledge. (changing now doesnt change the past)
    You dont seem to feel past actions need accountability....
    and you are lacking a platform.

Did I miss anything?
    Oh yes, a thank you for validating SB's actions which we all knew were factual, just needing a little more testimony.
    I did not confess anything for anyone-- I don't know what SB did with her other horses-- all I know is what is being done with this one, and that's the only one I am worried about-- he is going to New Vocations sometime this week. Don't go around saying I gave testimony about something---- I did no such thing, nor will I, as I have no knowledge as to what happened to the other horses-- my concern is for this one.
    I only said that she was not sending this horse to the kill pen-- I have no idea what happened to any of the others other than the two that she and Don Brown sent to New Vocations earlier in the year.

Frankly, when it comes down to it-- what happens to the horses in SB's care is truly none of my business, the only horses that are my business are the ones that come into my care-- and they are the only ones I will concern myself with-- I know for a fact that I have not sent a horse to slaughter ever, nor will I, but if others do, then that's on them-- I can't take in their horses, I have enough of my own retirees to worry about-- and just so we are all clear---NOT ONE of my racehorses is run until they break down-- I stop on them before that happens-- so to say that I don't care is a bunch of crap-- because I do. The horse I worked the Kentucky Derby on this year is now 25, still in light work, and happier than when he was standing in the pasture doing nothing, and is still sound after more than 100 lifetime outs and 19 years of being a pony horse, so don't even try to say that I don't care about my horses-- he will be with me until he stops breathing, and then he will be cremated and stay with me until I stop breathing, when we will be scattered together.
    Last edited by pinkdiamondracing; Aug. 9, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

I did not confess anything for anyone-- I don't know what SB did with her other horses-- all I know is what is being done with this one, and that's the only one I am worried about-- he is going to New Vocations sometime this week. Don't go around saying I gave testimony about something---- I did no such thing, nor will I, as I have no knowledge as to what happened to the other horses-- my concern is for this one.
    I only said that she was not sending this horse to the kill pen-- I have no idea what happened to any of the others other than the two that she and Don Brown sent to New Vocations earlier in the year.

Frankly, when it comes down to it-- what happens to the horses in SB's care is truly none of my business, the only horses that are my business are the ones that come into my care-- and they are the only ones I will concern myself with-- I know for a fact that I have not sent a horse to slaughter ever, nor will I, but if others do, then that's on them-- I can't take in their horses, I have enough of my own retirees to wrrry about-- and just so we are all clear---NOT ONE of my retirees is run until they break down-- I stop on them before that happens-- so to say that I don't care is a bunch of crap-- because I do. The horse I worked the Kentucky Derby on this year is now 25, still in light work, happier than he was standing in the pasture, and is still sound after more than 100 lifetime outs and 19 years of being a pony horse, so don't even try to say that I don't care about my horses-- he will be with me until he stops breathing, and then he will be cremated and stay with me until I stop breathing, when we will be scattered together.
    Those of us who know you IRL know you are a nice person, and take very good care of your animals. What some anonymous posters on the internet think is irrelevant. They don't hear what you are trying to say, so don't beat your head against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    Those of us who know you IRL know you are a nice person, and take very good care of your animals. What some anonymous posters on the internet think is irrelevant. They don't hear what you are trying to say, so don't beat your head against the wall.
    Thanks--- it's nice to know someone "gets" it!!!!

PDR, I get what you're saying, and think this thread has gotten a lot of people really het up.

I'm not sure what I think of the whole thing. I do know I lost track of a lovely grey gelding several years ago named Platinum General, who last raced under SB in 2007. The race records indicate he "faltered" then I never saw or heard anything of him again. I would like to think he really did go to a 4H lady.

Either way, I think it's pretty clear that you're not condoning anything that may have happened in the past, and are just trying to point out that sometimes people change.

About the horse that's now going to New Vocations, I'm glad he is. But I think that is such a ridiculous thing about racing and the claiming game - this part isn't SB's fault at all, but whoever was racing that horse, and probably injecting it so it would run sound (probably with the intent of getting rid of it via claiming)? That person sucks, IMO. I wish they'd change some rules with the claiming game so that people wouldn't be financially rewarded by doing that... I dunno, the horse has to pass a post-claim vet exam or the claim is voided, or something. The responsibility for that horse was with whoever broke him, and it sucks that horses like this get dumped on others (whether it's other trainers, or rescues, or whoever.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I just have to say, in 12 years of doing OTTB transitioning, I have never, ever, even once, been approached by a "kid in 4H" for a TB. Ever. Not once.