The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 80 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2399

Default A little help from Dick Hertz

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    I think someone is doing something about it...Grand Jury anyone?
    He explains what Perjury means......
    and how it relates to the GJ investigation.
    http://businessasusualdickhertz.blog...-so-quiet.html
    Its not in someone elses backyard anymore....... your Pres brought it home.
    Racing>Business As Usual @PN

Everyone needs to just back off and relax--- maybe Steph made mistakes in the past, but it's just that-----the past.

I know for a fact that she is no longer sending horses to the kill pen, as she just made arrangements to send another one to New Vocations-- he gets placed there on Tuesday, after having been on stall rest at a farm in Kentucky.
    He was claimed at Churchill Downs and upon getting him back to the barn, he was both placed on the vet's list and x-rayed, found to have an old, non displaced slab fracture in his knee ( which the former trainer knew was there,as the x-rays showed it was not a fresh fracture so who is the monster I ask you), and even though the vet said he would recover, she chose to NOT rehab him and place him in danger of breaking down and hurting someone.
    There is a considerable loss of money from this claim, as this was not a $5,000 horse, but the connections are not willing to risk his safety.

So please jsut back the **** off and give her a chance to change!!!! Are all of you perfect??? I doubt it!!! Have you ever made mistakes you wish you hadn't made-- I KNOW I have but I have made a sincere effort to change my life--- so it IS possible to regret things you did, and change the way you do things
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Wow. Is this a confession? Somebody must really be under duress. Too bad that's what it takes to make some people "change". Changing to save their butt. And yes, I have made mistakes in life, but they didn't involve killing animals for a few bucks. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolk2002 View Post
    Wow. Is this a confession? Somebody must really be under duress. Too bad that's what it takes to make some people "change". Changing to save their butt. And yes, I have made mistakes in life, but they didn't involve killing animals for a few bucks. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's how I feel.
    Once again-- you people have not got the facts--- I am NOT Steph Beattie-- but I have firsthand knowledge of this particular situation.
    No one said that there was duress, only a simple fact that there was change being made---WTF more do you vultures want???
    I am sure if she could go back in time and personnally change how things went down, she would-- but what's done is done--- and you guys who are so high and mighty should really consider giving change a chance--- no wonder people are so reluctant to change their ways-- you can't win with some people no matter what you do!!!!

The first step of change is owning up to your actions and facing whatever consequences those actions warrant. I am all for change but that doesn't excuse your actions of the past. I agree they are past or so we hope but they still haven't owned up to the actions they did which is kill hundreds of horses. SB is still claiming the 4H lady she can't remember and the petting zoo too and the other many excuses. DD is still working on a normal basis despite being told he can't run his horses and Pen National is still not enforcing their OWN RULES. Based on that evidence I am NOT SEEING CHANGE. So yes we will continue to hound, plead, provide evidence and criticize until the people responsible step up to the plate and accept their punishment for the UNFORGIVABLE actions they have done.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
    Once again-- you people have not got the facts--- I am NOT Steph Beattie-- but I have firsthand knowledge of this particular situation.
    No one said that there was duress, only a simple fact that there was change being made---WTF more do you vultures want???
    I am sure if she could go back in time and personnally change how things went down, she would-- but what's done is done--- and you guys who are so high and mighty should really consider giving change a chance--- no wonder people are so reluctant to change their ways-- you can't win with some people no matter what you do!!!!
    Yes, it's only the past people. Wtf is your problem! You should just forget about it and allow it to be swept under the rug as these scumbags and abusers are so use too. They should not have to be held accountable for their past actions. What the hell is wrong with you "vultures!!

Look lets let SB go for the time... let the wheels in Justice turn.
    Took a while but DD will be seeing his day in court...Patience its Virtue let practise for a while.

Now on to more pressing buisness....where is the new committe...besides SB stepping off and Sandy Beattie (SB) stepping up and besides Dickie who the heck else is on this committee....needs a farrier, vet, trainer, owner, frontisde person, someone who is in the re-hab game, and 6 more people at least 12 members is a good number. But should not be weighted down with [I]trainers from [/I]Penn has to be diversified and definately need people with good working knowledge of rehab retaining OTT.
    Has anyone heard of a meeting?? Has anyone seen a sign up sheet??
    New Vocations may run the project but the board should be recieving and reviewing proposals budget, insurance,supplier information, site visits, vets for pro bono work, farrier recommendations,.......
    Rome wasn't build in a day and this won't pop up running in a month.
    Times ticking.....

Who do you see to submitt a request, what are the requirements, do you need a resume??

Mr. Mostler??? is he the man who makes the committe cuts???
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Aug. 7, 2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    The first step of change is owning up to your actions and facing whatever consequences those actions warrant. I am all for change but that doesn't excuse your actions of the past. I agree they are past or so we hope but they still haven't owned up to the actions they did which is kill hundreds of horses. SB is still claiming the 4H lady she can't remember and the petting zoo too and the other many excuses. DD is still working on a normal basis despite being told he can't run his horses and Pen National is still not enforcing their OWN RULES. Based on that evidence I am NOT SEEING CHANGE. So yes we will continue to hound, plead, provide evidence and criticize until the people responsible step up to the plate and accept their punishment for the UNFORGIVABLE actions they have done.
    I only care about what happens in the future-- who is going to take care of all these horses you all are "saving" from the kill pens-- I am at capacity at my farm-- so room for 100 more cripples I don't have-- so someone else step up to the plate and keep them all-- otherwise STFU!!!!! I will continue to train--cheap horses , good horses, whatever I can get my hands on-- and when they are done, I do my level best to do what's right by them, and as for all the others, my own horses that are already retired on my farm will come first-- and if I have to find some undesirable end for some racehorse that I was not responsible for bringing into this over horse-populated world, so be it. Just because I was the last trainer, does not make me the one who should be responsible for what happens to it for the rest of it's days--that job in my opinion should fall to the a$$hat who brought it into the world in the first place-- I have a good theory on how to thin the herd out which does not involve slaughter, but I am sure nobody here is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    off the track to 4H??? that's a new one and it is one that is very hard to believe.
    If it is true, then give names... your info is just as speculative since there are no names.... WITH HER KNOWLEDGE... well, she could say that maybe 80% of the horses have gone to slaughter without her knowledge, maybe through the nice 4H lady???
    IF she could prove all of this, don't you think she would have by now? If only to stop the hearsay on the different boards..
    FYI-- it does happen occasionally-- back when I was in 4H and my parents were into racing-- I took a mare we had who had a horrible breathing problem but who was lightning fast and took her to her first 4H show 2 weeks after her last race and within 30 days was riding her in a bridleless drill team that I was a member of-- so it does happen-- maybe not all the time, but those horses do exist.

I only care about what happens in the future-- who is going to take care of all these horses you all are "saving" from the kill pens-- I am at capacity at my farm-- so room for 100 more cripples I don't have-- so someone else step up to the plate and keep them all-- otherwise STFU!!!!! I will continue to train--cheap horses , good horses, whatever I can get my hands on-- and when they are done, I do my level best to do what's right by them, and as for all the others, my own horses that are already retired on my farm will come first-- and if I have to find some undesirable end for some racehorse that I was not responsible for bringing into this over horse-populated world, so be it. Just because I was the last trainer, does not make me the one who should be responsible for what happens to it for the rest of it's days--that job in my opinion should fall to the a$$hat who brought it into the world in the first place-- I have a good theory on how to thin the herd out which does not involve slaughter, but I am sure nobody here is interested.
    STFU? Very nice. So, the public is supposed to complain only if we can fix the problem, the problem that some, but certainly not all trainers create by running these animals into the ground? Otherwise, we have no basis to complain? I'd say that doing right by these horses is every bit the responsibility of such trainers as the people who brought the horses into the world in the firstplace.
    Last edited by MoJo; Aug. 7, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Clowns to the Left or me Jokers to the Right...here I am...stuck in the middle

This whole thread started on what a monster Michael Gill is and had downspiralled into a bunch of heresay and lies-- you all should get back to the original scheduled programming and go back to bashing Gill, who truly is a monster-- how many riders did he put in jeopardy????
    Say what you want about Steph but at least she has never put a person's life in danger by running a blocked, stone cold cripple for the sake of a buck-- maybe she sent horses to the killers, maybe she didn't, but at least she doesn't knowingly run a horse she knows could get someone killed-- this I know for fact, as the horse that is being sent to New Vocations could run again with 6-8 months off for rehab!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    STFU? Very nice. So, the public is supposed to complain only if we can fix the problem, the problem that some, but certainly not all trainers create by running these animals into the ground? Otherwise, we have no basis to complain? I'd say that doing right by these horses is every bit as much the responsibility of such trainers than of the people who brought the horses into the world in the firstplace.
    Why don't you go attack D.Wayne or Pletcher, or even Patrick Biancone???????
    Do you have any idea how many horses these butchers ruin a year??????!!!!!!!
    More than Steph or DD or any of those small time guys at Penn do in a career!!!!! I have seen the rejects that didn't make the "cut" from these BNT's but why don't you attack them??? They kill more horses than you will ever know, and no one says a word-- the only time any breakdown of one of theirs is mentioned is if it's a high profile horse and that's only because they have no plausible deniability!!!!! If it's just another horse in the string, a quiet call is made to the owner and the horse dissappears-- maybe to the kill pen-- they are not above suspicion just because they make 50 million a year in purses but probably more so.

Pinkdaimondracing, I think you are over emotional.

Why don't you stop shrieking and deflecting blame from the trainers on topic to the "big names". This thread is about Penn National. If Wayne or Pletcher were racing at Penn National, I guarantee people would be discussing them.

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    Pinkdaimondracing, I think you are over emotional.

Why don't you stop shrieking and deflecting blame from the trainers on topic to the "big names". This thread is about Penn National. If Wayne or Pletcher were racing at Penn National, I guarantee people would be discussing them.
    I guarantee they have horses running there-- but under another trainer's name-- and who can blame them-- the "watchdogs" probably would drive them right out of business-- like they are trying to do to some of the hardworking people at Penn who are just trying to make a living with the life skills they have--

I know that without racing, I would be screwed--it's the only thing I know, I have no other skills, too old to go to college and get a career, and can't survive on what wages I can make with my skills ($8.00/hr) so those of you who are sitting in judgement, I hope you are prepared to support Steph when you drive her out of the only business she knows, cause let me tell you in this economy, you can't make ends meet on $8/hr-- I have tried.

Over- emotional???

You bet--- this is my life and my business-- and people like you are ruining the only life I know!!!!

So forgive me if I get a little upset--- I don't try to ruin what you do for a living-- I would appreciate it if you would do the same-- like I said, if you don't wanna be part of solution and take in oh say, 100 or so of these so-called "kill pen bound" horses then kindly stay out of my business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start bashing the big guys too, they are just as guilty as anyone else, and they can afford to do something about it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyapGirl View Post

Saturday, I did a work and go at Penn. Because of prep for the Governors Cup no one was allowed in the receiving barn. Period. This I can understand as it is a daunting task for the best of men to make the sheet hole of a barn even slightly presentable, given years, not just hours. I, might I add, am the ultimate rule follower where the track and racing are concerned. So there all of us are in the parking lot outside the receiving barn, like a bunch of cowboy hacks. The horse I worked on Saturday is fractious to say the least and not the type you can tack up in the parking lot so I shipped in tacked up, trying to follow the rules. This totally freaked the horse out and how he did not hurt himself in the trailer I really do not know. He managed to make it up to train and back to the receiving barn parking lot unscathed in spite of a loose horse on the track. Untacking was easy enough until it came to taking off the bridle and slipping on his halter to take him home (I was not sending him home tacked up and risk his hurting himself). I and the two people with me honestly TRIED OUR BEST to accomplish this in the lot so as not to disturb the "beautification" in the receiving barn and follow the rules. It was not happening. I finally stepped inside and asked permission to bring him in the shedrow, not a stall, to accomplish this. I really did not want to risk injury to the horse, other people or other horses. One loose horse a morning is enough. John Murray greeted my request with expletives and a threat that if I or any of the people with me set foot in the receiving barn that he would have us all ruled off. So much for "We Care." More like "We Don't Care". Who cares if the horse gets loose and gets hurt or hurts others? This task might have taken a minute or two SAFELY in the shedrow. To date there have already been three people ruled off for not being out of the receiving barn by 9 AM on the dot to allow for "electrical work." Go figure. Penn National.....business as usual.
    Sandor Horvath is one of the worst trainers and care taker that I have ever seen so his opinion wouldn't mean a whole lot to me.
    Who cares that you had to work and go out of the parking lot? At least they let you use the track. I have been working out of my trailer for two years. You gotta do what you gotta do. Worked two this morning. Brought them in tacked minus the bridle. Worked them, borrowed a hose to wash them off and cooled them down under the shade of a tree. Heck one time I had a horse entered in a stake and they wouldn't let me have a stall to work and go. She stood out in the parking lot tied to the trailer like a lead pony. Point being there are lots of messed up things about Penn but not having the receiving barn at your beck and call is not one of them.

Maryharthill Guest

Say what you want about Steph but at least she has never put a person's life in danger by running a blocked, stone cold cripple for the sake of a buck-- maybe she sent horses to the killers, maybe she didn't, but at least she doesn't knowingly run a horse she knows could get someone killed-- this I know for fact, as the horse that is being sent to New Vocations could run again with 6-8 months off for rehab!!!!!!
    Really ?

I think Taylor Hole would disagree with you.

Ask SB what she did the day after she claimed THE UNCLEAN SPIRIT from Gill / Vitali? She whined to the Commission and wanted the claim voided.

Two starts later the horse ran 2nd and broke down after the wire.

I think you are caught up on the spell of SB. I agree with a previous poster who said the first step in moving forward is admitting mistakes. In her Typical selfish fashion, SB will never do that because she is SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryharthill View Post
    I think you are caught up on the spell of SB. I agree with a previous poster who said the first step in moving forward is admitting mistakes. In her Typical selfish fashion, SB will never do that because she is SB.
    Caught up in the spell, but just as likely overidentifying with SB. She's taking this personally, as if we are trying to ruin *her* livelihood. Perhaps pinkdiamond doesn't truly believe these past transgressions were really mistakes, that claiming and running horses into the ground and shipping them off to slaughter while still blowing hard from their last race is OK because it's the only way the trainer can earn a decent living.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Sandor Horvath is one of the worst trainers and care taker that I have ever seen so his opinion wouldn't mean a whole lot to me.
    Who cares that you had to work and go out of the parking lot? At least they let you use the track. I have been working out of my trailer for two years. You gotta do what you gotta do. Worked two this morning. Brought them in tacked minus the bridle. Worked them, borrowed a hose to wash them off and cooled them down under the shade of a tree. Heck one time I had a horse entered in a stake and they wouldn't let me have a stall to work and go. She stood out in the parking lot tied to the trailer like a lead pony. Point being there are lots of messed up things about Penn but not having the receiving barn at your beck and call is not one of them.
    I certainly agree, Laurierace that Sandor Horvath's opinion is not worth the steam off my horses' meadow muffins. I think you miss the point entirely in my post. Horvath talks out of both sides of his mouth extolling DD's virtues one minute to the Paulick reporters and then tearing him apart verbally to boarders the next. He is part of the problem not the solution as he allows people such as DD to board there and do what he does to his horses.
    DD's "practices" are well known at the training center, with little being hidden. Like eradicating any vermin, do away with their nest and they generally will not hang around. If the racing community refused to offer boarding, vet care, hay and straw, etc. to people like DD the place would clean up in a hurry. When it is already well known what kind of scum someone is why do people in this community roll out the red carpet for them? They don't have such a financial impact that not doing business with them is going to really fiscally ruin them.

Again, you miss the point about the receiving barn. I worked two this morning (two year olds) off my trailer this and had no problem with it. They are both good boys and don't pose a risk in any way. Just because I CAN do this doesn't mean I or other horsemen should have to. I've been to better tracks (Belmont, Churchill, Delaware, etc.) and I don't ever recall horsemen being treated with as little concern as at Penn. On the Saturday in my prior post I was concerned that the horse could get loose and hurt someone. John Murray didn't care enough about the safety of other people and horses to allow me two minutes in the shedrow to make sure the horse in question didn't get loose and hurt a person or horse. Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back for being so self sufficient Laurie. The fact of the matter is this: The situation with your stakes horse was deplorable. What a way to treat a horseman, particularly a stakes horse. I don't see a stakes barn here does anyone else??? Even Mountaineer has a stakes barn for heaven's sake. What you speak of exemplifies a prevalent attitude here. People just accept the sheet they are fed here and pat themselves on the back for putting up with it and being so tolerant and able to "roll with the punches". Like a bad marriage or a bad job they just accept it and stay put because they think it is normal and OK. It's NOT! This attitude is why things stay the way they are. The horsemen bringing their horses to race here helps this racino make their bank drop in an armored car. For that alone better treatment is due us. You are hoist by your own petard! (Check your latin dictionary if this is beyond you!)

Giddyapgirl, what I DO NOT GET is why you didn't just put the halter on over the bridle and load the darn horse...if need be pull the bridle off out from under the halter and get on with your day...this little tantrum isn't going to fix any issue.
    It only solidifies Penns wish to get rid of horses period..........Save the fight for another day another battle that can be won.

Pink Diamond grow up or go marry SB, become her BFF but don't shove it down our throats on this board.

The 4H ladies name is???

and 4H today isn't yester years 4H.

Laurel doesn't allow you in the receiving barn on race days ever. Which means its the parking lot or nothing. I know the rules and have to follow them or go elsewhere. Sure I could come on non race days but the gate isn't open then.