The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CRIBBING

This mare is driving me crazy! She has a miracle collar, but unless its hugely tight (think rub marks) she will crib. She has crimped my brand new round pen in several places! Any suggestions.
    The View from Here

Just got one of these for my very thin skinned TB mare. The BO hates the noise from her cribbing, but nutcracker, french and miracle collars all give her awful sores.

So I figured I'd give a muzzle a try. She figured out how to eat and drink with it on pretty quickly and it doesn't give her rubs and my BO is happy.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4213

The reviews on smartpak say it doesn't hold up well, which I'm not sure of yet, as I've only had it a few weeks.
    ILOVERMONT

I've had very good success with a natural method....get your rubber gloves out and smear fresh horse manure on all surfaces where she cribs. She will NOT willingly put her mouth where the manure is. It is free and renewable if a little gross. It DOES work though, although I don't believe that anything you can do will be anything other than temporary.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    This mare is driving me crazy! She has a miracle collar, but unless its hugely tight (think rub marks) she will crib. She has crimped my brand new round pen in several places! Any suggestions.
    Have you considered the possibility of excess gut acid and ulcers?

Although excess acid/ulcers can be a culprit, if the horse is a long-term cribber that may not be the case. I just had my cribber scoped--no ulcers. He is a fretter and a worrier, so his perceived stress contributes to his cribbing.

I, too, have tried those same cribbing straps, and none really stop him. The miracle collar had to be incredibly tight. The vet suggested trying a strap that works on a different principle, such as the collar with spikes, or hotwiring in such a way that there is no place to crib.

Of course, you will get answers to just let them crib because recent research has shown that cribbers have a higher stomach pH and the saliva produced during cribbing may buffer it. The cribbing doesn't bother me or my BO, but my guy is more interested in cribbing than eating sometimes, so I try to prevent it to encourage more food intake.

Good Luck!

You can get fleece covers for the miracle collars which helps the rub spots.

The one thing I have learned about miracle collars is they stretch when they get wet so you will have to tighten it more over time - the front strap controls the cribbing, not the back one.

I had one in a Miracle Collar for ages. Left huge marks and was generally uncomfortable to him. I switched over to a Rusty Dare collar. It works OK, and doesn't bind as hard.

Hmm, second thread in one day where I've suggested a muzzle. Weird.

I vote for the muzzle KnickerB posted.

I don't get the quandries folks have with cribbers. Turn them out in a pasture that has hot tape/wire fencing. Let them live out there 24/7. Problem solved.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have also heard good things about the Dare Cribbing Collar. My mare doesn't crib like she used to, so I haven't bought it myself. However, if she starts up again with increased stall-time in winter, I plan to.

You could get an acupuncturist to put staples in her ears. That's supposed to reduce the cribbing by as much as 75%.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I don't get the quandries folks have with cribbers. Turn them out in a pasture that has hot tape/wire fencing. Let them live out there 24/7. Problem solved.
    That would be great if A. one has that pasture set up, and B. the horse cooperates.

How do you handle the grazing muzzle on a hard keeper?

My guy cribs. He is 14 yrs old, and I have had him 7 of those.

Personally, I gave up trying to STOP him from cribbing. I give him OTHER things to occupy his time.

He is mostly pastured, but during the winter, and certain other times of the year, I stall him.

I put TWO of the big Busy Horse haybags in his stall. I use the slow feeder holes, so he can only get a little bit of hay out at a time.

If he has hay in front of him, he does not crib near as much as when he was just standing around his stall.

Before I did this, he was cribbing on the waterer in his stall. The waterer was getting pulled away from the concrete wall.

Now, he will crib on the corner of his haybag everyonce awhile, it has really cut down his cribbing issue.

These work great, and cut down the wasted hay. Makes it much easier to clean stalls too.

http://www.busyhorse.com/index.html

The Grande size opens big enough to drop in the flakes. It fits four flakes, or five if you really pack it tight.

The other sizes require you to pull apart the flakes in order to get them in the bag.

So..if you plan on using them daily, it will save a LOT of time to get the Grande size I use the smaller sized ones for my trailer, but for his stall, the big ones are worth getting.

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter25 View Post
    How do you handle the grazing muzzle on a hard keeper?
    It's not a grazing muzzle. Grazing muzzles have a little hole so the horse can't eat as much grass- cribbing/biting muzzles just have a few bars over the nose so the horse can't grab anything substantial (i.e., anything but hay, grass, water, and feed) in his mouth. They shouldn't interfere with food intake at all.

24/7 turnout does help but is not the cure. I have 2 cribbers, they both still crib on my posts on 8 acres of grass. I alternate collars in a stall situation but I do have an occasional cribber who gets rubs and he does not wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickerB View Post
    Just got one of these for my very thin skinned TB mare. The BO hates the noise from her cribbing, but nutcracker, french and miracle collars all give her awful sores.

So I figured I'd give a muzzle a try. She figured out how to eat and drink with it on pretty quickly and it doesn't give her rubs and my BO is happy.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4213

The reviews on smartpak say it doesn't hold up well, which I'm not sure of yet, as I've only had it a few weeks.

I bought one of these for my mare when the miracle collar (with fleece) kept rubbing her. She learned how to crib through the muzzle in about 30 days. After searching the internet exhaustively, this http://allamericanequipment.com/cata...roducts_id/319 was pretty well recommended by several people in different places. It was between this or trying one of the french ones so I chose this one since it was half the price. Surprisingly it stopped her cribbing and didn't rub at all. Now my mare is on 24/7 turnout and only wears the collar when she has to be stalled at shows. She rarely cribs in the field. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    Some more questions... Why do you want to stop your mare cribbing? Is she losing weight? Does she have free access to forage so she can eat "little and often"?