The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack shops in PA and MD

I'm going to be taking a road trip from PA to VA and I'd like to stop at some tack shops along the way. I will be traveling from the Allentown PA area on 78 west to 81 South to 83 South to 15 South. Are there any good tack shops along the way? I don't want to travel far from my route. I know where the good tack shops are once I hit VA, it's in between that I'm not sure about.

Bartville in Bartville PA (sorta Oxford area) but have no idea how far off the track and since you know the VA ones like Saddelry Liquidaters who IMHO is the "Best".

I think there is something in Allentown, PA called Char or Charr? I went once and it was pretty nice but it has been a few years.

Charrs is right by Allentown airport. Its kind of an all pet store, they sell bird, cat, and dog stuff too. They have some decent stuff but not my favorite tack shop, though if you're already in Allentown its worth a visit. Might also want to try Bucks County Saddlery and Rick's Heritage Saddlery, depending where in PA you'll be.
    Go Vols!!

Chaar is nice, but down Rt 100 is Ricks Heritage - DROOL!
    Dover Saddlery is in DE, I stopped there once -that was fun!

If you're coming down 83, there are 2 tack shops just north of Baltimore just off 83 - a Dover store and Maryland Saddlery (which has a nice consignment section that often has some good bargains). You can get to both of Exit 20 (Shawan Road) off 83 - to get to Dover, you'd go East on Shawan, then left on York Road and Dover is just a couple miles up York Road. To get to Maryland Saddlery, you'd go West on Shawan, then turn right on Falls Road and it's a few miles up Falls. Both are ~10min off 83.
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

LOOOOVEEE RICKS!!!!!! I find the DE Dover to be hit or miss for good finds, they're not a very big store so they don't stock a ton of stuff . Ricks is like a never ending maze of equestrian treasures!!!! And the prices are great!!!!

Funny thing is I drive pretty near Rick's Heritage on my way home from work. I don't find their prices to be that great and only shop there when I HAVE to because I can't find what I need at another local tack store.

From the route the OP described she isn't going to be near Heritage.

OP if you do decide to come down Rt 100 from Allentown to go to Rick's you will pass Horse Connection on Rt 100 at Rt 23. Also about 1 mile from there is Equine Exchange west on Rt 23.

Horse Connection is small but has a small used section. Equine Exchange is mostly used but has some new and has some western. At both places you can get lucky with some of the used stuff.
    Depending on your timing- across from Equine Exchange is a small deli (to go only) Billy Mc's that has good cheesesteaks, pizza steaks, chicken cheese steaks. Actually anything I have had from there is good. Hubby likes their Italian hoagie.

I plan on stopping at Rick's when I go to Devon next week. I was just hoping to find some nice tack shops on my trip to VA. Chaar is about 20 minutes from where I live, I'd like to find some shops along my route.

What's your destination in VA?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post
    If you're coming down 83, there are 2 tack shops just north of Baltimore just off 83 - a Dover store and Maryland Saddlery (which has a nice consignment section that often has some good bargains). You can get to both of Exit 20 (Shawan Road) off 83 - to get to Dover, you'd go East on Shawan, then left on York Road and Dover is just a couple miles up York Road. To get to Maryland Saddlery, you'd go West on Shawan, then turn right on Falls Road and it's a few miles up Falls. Both are ~10min off 83.
    Another vote for Maryland Saddlery and Dover! Definitely worth a stop!
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post
    Sounds from what the OP described that her plan is to come from Allentown to Harrisburg, then down 15 to Frederick. Dover and MD Saddlery would be out of the way then.

But if the route is optional, here's what I'd do: Go to Bartville harness in Christiana (they close early on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays because it is an Amish shop), then Bit of Britain in Oxford, PA. Come down to I-95 to the Baltimore beltway, then up 83 to Dover and Maryland Saddlery. Depending on where in VA you are going, you can go down 95 to DC (traffic hell) or take 70 west to 15 south. There are no tack shops in Frederick, much to my chagrin. There is Stablemates in Mt. Airy along I-70, but it's not worth a special trip.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Depending on where you're headed in VA I would have to say Hunt Country in Warrenton is a must do

My mom used to live near A-Town and I've done that route about a million times. There is nothing of interest on it at all, nevermind a cool tack shop. Cow, cow, cow, truck, truck, truck, gas station, fast food, cow, cow, cow, truck, truck, truck.....

There is Lone Oak Limited in Enola. A few miles off of RT 81.

If you stay on RT 81 instead of getting on RT 83, the exit for Enola is the first exit after crossing the Susquehanna. No backtracking after your stop, continue to follow RT 81 towards Carlisle. Exit at RT 581 and follow this east, a mile or two to RT 15.

Hint....If you decide not to go to Lone Oak. At Harrisburg follow RT 283 and get on the Turnpike westbound towards Pittsburg. Exit at Mechanicburg / Gettysburg Pike (RT 15). Cost $1.30, saves you a half hour of driving time and the headache from all of the congestion through the Harrisburg and Camp Hill area.