The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Masterson Method Equine Body Work

I just returned from a 2 day hands on clinic with Jim Masterson and simply can't say enough good things about this clinic.

I learned SO much-and I mean SO much.

I saw and felt things I never could have imagined had I not been RIGHT there.

Talk about lightness to get release!

I just wanted to share in case anyone is interested in an educational clinic that equips owners with a wonderful foundation to help horses with the basics of body work.

They do offer a full certification program that is, of course, more in depth. The 2 day seminar however is pleny full of information to keep the horse owner BUSY for a good while!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, I've taken the two day course twice. Can't say enough good things about the method or the wonderful folks who teach it. Top notch.

VERY excited! My barn is a demo barn for a clinic he's doing this week!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

OMG get READY! You will have such an wonderful educational weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I just returned from a 2 day hands on clinic with Jim Masterson and simply can't say enough good things about this clinic.

I learned SO much-and I mean SO much.

I saw and felt things I never could have imagined had I not been RIGHT there.

Talk about lightness to get release!

I just wanted to share in case anyone is interested in an educational clinic that equips owners with a wonderful foundation to help horses with the basics of body work.

They do offer a full certification program that is, of course, more in depth. The 2 day seminar however is pleny full of information to keep the horse owner BUSY for a good while!

Can you elaborate a little more about what was so awesome about the techniques? Or what type of horse/problems would most benefit from them?

I'm looking into getting massage work done on my OTTB mare who has a lot of body issues. There are two main practitioners in the area, one who does the masterson method and one who does the typical deep tissue massage. I've heard equally good things about them, so I'm not sure which to go with...

Well I think all working horses would benefit from body work

I am still new at this but will try to share what I can.

The biggest difference I see, from chiro for example, is this is lighter and more interactive.

You set up the horse to offer the release. It is not forcing anything.

It is subtle 'releases'-sometimes with a touch so light it is not even touching the horse-other times the lightest touch you can think of.

On the website there are some youtube videos showing Jim doing different releases-I would start there and see if it looks interesting.

I think he uses some acupressure points along with some light massage work.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

This may help explain it as well-from his brochure

"Jim Masterson became interested in Equine Massage in 1997. Recognizing that the horse exhibits certain neurological responses to touch as the horse relaxes and releases tension, Masterson developed a system of using those responses to guide his massage work."

From what I have experienced, the touch sets up the horse to release or allows the release to happen rather than making or forcing.

It is truly like nothing I have ever seen-I am sure others have but I haven't

I am floored at how well my own horses have responded to just my ammie efforts. Posture has changed, attitude has changed and performance changed with just my first attempt.

Very cool!

Lucky you!

I've got the CD and have used the techniques there on my horse for the past year.

I think the techniques are great and my horse loves it. He's a horse that has always held a lot of tension and this really helps him release.

If he's ever in this area I'd love to take the clinic.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

He did our barn today and results were amazing. I'll type up more later but too tired now...
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

LOVE the Masterson Method. I have watched my DVD three times, watched various YouTube vids of his and am now reading his book. My horses have responded incredibly to this method, and it is so easy to incorporate many of the techniques into everyday horse interactions. I can be cleaning paddocks and stop for five minutes and release some tension in one of my horse's poll and neck and he instantly responds and feels better.

Funny....I just ordered his book today. I already do acupressure and Reiki and massage and Tteam. Poor pony, I can't keep my hands off him!

Agree, I got the DVDs for Christmas (asked for them ), and have been using many of the techniques on my own two horses and my students' horses; have gotten very reliable "relaxation responses" and releases--even on my 8 month old filly! Great stuff--and I think it taps into the neuro and acupressure points, I have used TTOUCH and have done a variety of bodywork over the years, but the Masterson Method's light touches are remarkable, and the horses *really* respond. (The other upside is that as I grow older and creakier, the bodywork becomes more taxing on ME--so the fact that these light touches really unlock the horse is a revelation--as the OP says, they "set the horse up" to release, rather than forcing the issue. My now 9 month old filly releases almost "against her will" , but that is just because of her personality type. When she gives me HUGE yawns, I think SCORE! )

I wish he would do a clinic in my neck of the woods...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I wish he would do a clinic in my neck of the woods...
    I board in Great Falls and have only just recently heard of the Masterson techniques. Definitely want to check into it further. If you can get him to come to this area I would LOVE to go to a clinic!

I have his book & video and have been playing with it for a few months. I like it so well that I am signed up for a clinic in May. I'm looking forward to meeting him on Sunday at the Albany OR Expo.

Hmmm, I don't know anything about it but I must say, it's a turn off from the start one someone names something after themselves! It's like Pat Perelli move over!

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Hmmm, I don't know anything about it but I must say, it's a turn off from the start one someone names something after themselves! It's like Pat Perelli move over!
    I wouldn't judge anything by the name, especially if I didn't know anything else about it.

Jim worked on my gelding at the 2012 Western States Horse Expo in a couple different demo sessions along with sessions in his stall. I saw a positive noticeable difference in my gelding. I would use it on a regular basis but the closest practitioners are in the Bay Area and the session fee plus travel fee is out of my range. But, there are a lot of the exercises and massage I can do myself.

Wish I had taken video, but here are some pics

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psbf584388.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps410238f0.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psd1bffcaf.jpg

My b/o has him coming in June to our barn in Maine. Can't wait!

I'm attending the June clinic in Maine, can't wait. Just got the book and videos today.

I LOVE using his techniques. The horses respond so well to it. I think traditional massage is great, but for a horse who is sore or tense, sometimes they resist the pressure of massage.

If you want to take it up a notch, you can use his release methods with a photonic torch/low level laser. I do the Masterson releases first and then go over some of the worse areas with the laser. The horses lean into it and release repeatedly and big. Something about doing the MM first and then the laser makes it work even better.