The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just moved to horse heaven!!

There have been some big changes in my dressage horse's life recently. After being at an about 10-acre dressage (seems to be changing to hunter) facility for several years, decided to move to a much larger farm.

So on Friday, moved the other 5 of 6 horses (one mine, three trainer's, two she has in training) to a new home. 212 acres 8 minutes from my house. Huge fields,12 x 15 stalls in a cozy stone bank barn, home-grown hay, perfectly draining arena that can hold about 6 Olympic regulation dressage arenas, huge fields, cross-country and show jumps, and miles of beautiful trails. Today when I finished schooling went on a long hack and saw a great big healthy beautiful fox.

There's something to be said for not having an indoor...

All I can say is, jealous!!! Wow, enjoy.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

mmm... talk to me in late February.

It's still almost the N'east...

It does sound really, really lovely. Between the hay and the bank barn... I'm jealous.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

[QUOTE][There's something to be said for not having an indoor.../QUOTE]

in May

Definately sounds like horse heaven lucky you and congratulations

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Sounds quite wonderful! Enjoy!

Have fun! Actually, how could you not, right?

[QUOTE=egontoast;4883209]
    [There's something to be said for not having an indoor.../QUOTE]

in May
    In MD I think you can easily get away with not having an indoor better than you can farther north....and I board at a barn where there is no indoor and still keep riding outside all winter

I guess you have to weigh the positives and negatives of choosing a place to board your horses.

It's not just Winter that makes an indoor necessary for me, it's all the rain, wind, blazing sun, bugs, early darkness, footing problems from rain or no rain, etc. etc.

Anyway, I'm glad Rebecca and her horses are delighted with their new facility.

I guess I'm REALLY in heaven, because I have all the amenities Rebecca has AND a lovely indoor! Of course, in Vermont, it is necessary.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Not only do I get to board my wonderful horse in a facility that is perfect for our needs, with amazing, focused and personalized care, I get to do so with all amenities we desire (including tons of turnout, huge indoor and outdoor with new footing on the way), that I get to enjoy in the company of a group of active, engaged riders who exhibit no personality disorders! Peaceful, relaxed, and professional...how rare is that? To top it off, I live on a gorgeous farm with a lovely, recently improved bank barn, new fencing, and acres of grass, where my new young horse and others will soon be living!

I hope everyone finds their dream too!

[quote=TBrescue;4883460]
    Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post

In MD I think you can easily get away with not having an indoor better than you can farther north....and I board at a barn where there is no indoor and still keep riding outside all winter
    This is the first winter in VA that I really wished for an indoor....or a place of FL
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    rain, wind, blazing sun, bugs, early darkness, footing problems from rain or no rain, etc. etc.

I don't have an indoor - but sure wish I did, and that is why.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    There's something to be said for not having an indoor...
    Can we remind you of this statement come January?

Remember those winters at your farm, when the snow and the cold drove you batty and you moved to a barn with an indoor to escape ... we are in a phase of the El Nino/La Nina cycle where we are going to have more of those.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

You will still love your lovely new facility in January!! You'll just be bundled up

It does sound wonderful - I'm happy for you ~ how much fun to see the fox! He was probably so thankful to have a dressage rider on the grounds

Congratulations on your move, enjoy!

(From a rider with no indoor who has learned to "appreciate" the elements - seriously!)

For very cold weather riding, I have a friend who strongly recommends an Icelandic riding suit. It will make you look like a bear, but it's amazing how much "feel" for the horse you'll still have.

Me, I am one of those "spoiled by an indoor" people. However, I was at a dressage barn recently that did not have *any* facilities for schooling outdoors, and I think that would be worse than not having an indoor.

In any case, Rebecca, congratulations!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Do these indoors have heaters?

I cant imagine it being any help being inside if you can still see your breath.

Im so spoiled lived in AZ, CA and now LA and dont have to deal with the cold. I wont even ride when its below 60 lol and I've missed may mmm, a couple weeks total in winter

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

At the more expensive barns, the indoor arenas may be heated. I've never had the pleasure of riding in a heated indoor.

The biggest thing indoors help with in winter is that they block the wind, and keep snow/ice out of the footing. I've ridden fairly comfortably in an indoor with a temperature of 15 degrees, with a howling gale outside. Lots of layers, a little extra warm-up time for stiff horses (and people!), and it really does work. Where I am, the indoor stays warm enough that the footing does not freeze.

I grew up in San Diego, riding outside unless it was absolutely pouring rain, in which case we did not ride. Adjusting to riding in New England took a while, but it's really not that bad!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

The one at the school barn when I lived in NH didn't. Lessons were cancelled if the arena thermometer said it was below 10 degrees. I loved those days, because I could go ride without having to stay out of the way of lessons! You appreciate having space to cut across the diagonal and do whatever size figure 8s you want when you're used to having to dodge students and jumps.

We had snow for months with frozen ground, and the tractors couldn't even get through the ice at times. The indoors wasn't to protect us from temperature, as much as make useable footing. It was usually colder indoors, since outside had sunshine to warm you slightly, at least, but the indoors held the colder temperatures in.

Living in AZ, I would really love the winter if only I didn't have to work so could ride mid-day! Then again, in this economy I'm very grateful for the job...

Rebecca - congrats on moving to a place you really love!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

we lost a month's riding this winter due to not having an indoor - the arena was covered in snow and no one could get in there. We don't have a walker either so all horses had to be walked in hand round a little gritted track on the yard... not much fun!