The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Donate your old halters to give auction horses a chance at life!!!

I am cross-posting this for a friend of mine....If you have any old/used/junky halters, please donate them!

Any halters not needed please send,faded, muddy old, they NEED them! This is an easy “feel good” project!!! Please cross post

URGENT - VERY SPECIAL CAUSE!!!!

Halters For Horses.

Do you have halters you are not using?

Horses that come into the Unadilla auction without halters are run through in groups and bought by the killbuyers. If a horse has a halter they are lead through individually. Dawn puts halters on horses that are without to give them a fighting chance at auction!

Please send halters to:
    Rosemary Farm Sanctuary 1646 Roses Brook Road South Kortright, NY 13482

Bump.

Or if you happen to be at the feed store/tack shop - pick up a spare and send it along. I was thinking about collecting a bunch of them, but I think I'll send them along one at a time if it means a better chance for any of these horses...

What a wonderful idea. Will cross post and of course send my used halters!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Bumping this up so it can get more exposure.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

hmm... to the op- I know you crossposted this, but do you know if anyone has ever askedthe auction yard why they do this? Is it a time saver? If every horse came with a halter, would they seriously run each horse through single? I just ask, because at our local auction yard, during the tack portion we see huge bundles of old halters get sold, and they are the halters that the slaughter buyers take off of the horses they purchase. Editing to add that one of our local saels has a clausethat halters are required on all horses and if you do not provide one, they will for a fee.

I have some used halters I can ship. They're WELL used but if you're interested, PM me.

However, my thinking is in line with Luckydonkey. There may be a reason the horses are sold "loose" that has nothing to do with halters. I only ask because I've been to New Holland's auctions enough times, and there horses with halters may be run through as "loose". You may have owners who for the sake of time/money/who-knows just want a group of them run through as a small herd and sold by-the-piece or as a lot. Having a halter does not protect a horse from a bad home or slaughter.

A horse needs to be halter-broke in order to be led through a sale, so that may be the problem? Perhaps they use the lack of halter to inform the auction helpers & others as to which horses CAN be safely led? If you put halters on without telling anyone, would it cause confusion? May I suggest you talk to the auction house to see their thoughts on it?

Will send 3 halters!

having been to the Chambers auction on more than too many occassions it seems to be a case of "Oh my God I might lose my $2 halter if I don't take it off prior to the sale" than anything else.

If it give the horses a chance though...I think it is awesome. The Unadilla sales are ugly. I gave up going when "rescues" (which btw, are not any of the rescues that are going now) started bidding wars with good homes.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

For years Unadilla has run halterless horses through almost like they were wild untouched horses (not always the case). I have to agree with equineartworks in that people are to worried about loosing there 2 dollar halter.
    The last 2 horses my BO picked up from there the halters they came with were broken or the leather one was so bad that it was held together by blanket straps. I still can't believe that it held till we got him home.

The rescues that attend this sale now have a really good system for watching whom is bidding and stop bidding once the know it's a private buyer (not always that easy to tell who's bidding there either) I give them a lot of credit for what they do.

I will dig around and see what I can come up with for halters.

There is also a flip side to the whole halter thing. I have seen many horses have their halters thrown in the garbage after they went through the ring and were bought by the meat man. I guess after that point they were no longer going to be led, only herded and didn't need the halter. Oftentimes if the papers came with the horse those got thrown into the same trash can. I have fished both out after buying horses out of the kill pen. At New Holland there is at least 20 halters if not more in the trash everytime I have left there.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I live near New Holland and I'm with MayS!

While it's admirable to think that something as simple as putting a halter on a horse will save its life I think the best thing one can do to save a horse's life is to have the horse ridden through a sale! Just leading a horse through the sale is no guarantee.

Even if the horse is green when being ridden through at least the buyer can be reassured that the horse has had someone on its back and, if it's not bucking like a rodeo horse, it is has the capacity of being trained more easily as opposed to one that is just run through without a rider.

Just being a realist....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Yeah, I have tons of halters, and will be sending them.

I am a pack rat, and have many horses that have either outgrown their halters or what have you.

I don't get rid of anything, and I should! This is a great choice for me.
    I will send very good vibes with them too. Some are halters of horses that came from New Holland, so it worked once, maybe it will give another horse a chance.

From Syracuse originally, I hate the Unadilla auction.

thank you for posting.

Picked up a few halters today and have a couple of old ones... sending your way.... thanks for what you do

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly in NJ View Post
    I am cross-posting this for a friend of mine....If you have any old/used/junky halters, please donate them!

Any halters not needed please send,faded, muddy old, they NEED them! This is an easy “feel good” project!!! Please cross post

Halters For Horses.

Horses that come into the Unadilla auction without halters are run through in groups and bought by the killbuyers. If a horse has a halter they are lead through individually. Dawn puts halters on horses that are without to give them a fighting chance at auction!

Please send halters to:

Correct zip is 13842

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly in NJ View Post

Halters For Horses.

Please send halters to: