The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Confo and breeding critique of this Indoctro colt/stallion...Update with video

I recently inquired about Indoctro offspring becasue I had found a 2y 3mo old stallion out of a Landgold Jmen (Landadel) mare at an extraordinary low price (couple is divorcing and dividing assets...). So I jumped at the opportunity and bought him allthough I wasn't planning on another horse.

His Breeding is posted on the link below:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

This is his confo shot:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21531...49866518GIeuKy

I'm figuring out how to upload a jump or two on YouTube (I have to make the file smaller). I will try to add that later, but even though he seems heavy, he's pretty light on his feet... that was what surprised me most (I had expected a heavy, slow warmblood because of his build).
    He has the temperament of a puppydog and was pretty relaxed in the jumpchute even though it was his first time.

His x-rays are perfectly clean.

Any critiques?

Thanks,
    V
    Last edited by faraway46; May. 24, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Default Video of Intrepid (colt/stallion) by Indoctro

I figured out how to upload the video on Youtube.
    This was his first time in the jumping chute, which actually wasn't a chute but a whole bunch of us running around, trying to get him down a jump. I think it went pretty well considering he never did it before (the previous owners have not built one yet at their farm). He seemed very willing and trying to do what we asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56rtD54czM

Any opinions?
    V

Quote Originally Posted by faraway46 View Post
    This was his first time in the jumping chute, which actually wasn't a chute but a whole bunch of us running around, trying to get him down a jump. I think it went pretty well considering he never did it before (the previous owners have not built one yet at their farm). He seemed very willing and trying to do what we asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56rtD54czM

Any opinions?
    V
    I agree with you. I think he's cute and looks like he will be a fun horse to own. Maybe a little short in the neck and could have a cleaner throatlatch (or it could be the shadow) if I had to fault something. He also looks like he's in the middle of a growth phase in the picture, but I like him. Plus his personality sounds great and you can never beat "super cheap!"

What are your plans for him?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Smile

Thanks TrotTP!
    I have no plans for him since I didn't plan to buy him in the first place, but he was $5000 (considering that breeding to Indoctro in Argentina costs $3000, he was a steal).
    I guess I want to see him further in the chute. You can't tell very much from the first jumps and he still is in the growing phase. I think I'm going to try to keep him until it's time to back him and then see what he has grown into. Maybe I found a diamond in the rough? Hopefully!
    All I can see for now is that he has a great disposition and a tendency to have correct form over jumps, plus he moves pretty light considering his build. Let's cross our fingers and maybe for once I found the Rembrandt in grandma's attic!

I think he is very cute and agree he is in an odd growing stage. I like the way he uses his frontend naturally. He stalls out over the jumps but that will change with work
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I love him 100x more in the video than I did in the picture--didn't do him justice. He looks short in the back and his shoulder and neck attachment look a little ehh in the photo but that does not translate in the video at all. He has an easy way of going and seems put together well, appears to be an amiable and athletic guy and I like the way he uses himself over those jumps. Good find!!

I agree, the video made him look much better than the picture.

Dan

Thumbs down

Pass.... should be gelded
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I agree. Not a stallion type but looks like he will make a nice sporthorse.

Question Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'm not a breeder nor do I know much on bloodlines so, as a learnning experience, I'd love to know your opinion.
    Thanks,
    V

If he were mine, I would probably wait to geld him just because he looks so light in his neck and that he could probably benefit from the testosterone to build muscle. That is if you can tolerate him with his nuts.

He's quite funky looking now, very awkward but he looks like he's got a ton of growing to do. For some reason I have a hard time imagining what he will look like as an adult, usually by 2 it's pretty easy to see the mature horse they'll grow up to be, but this one leaves me guessing.

He looks like he'll be a fun one to jump but I too don't see a stallion prospect here.

It's a terrible shot and age to be accurately judging any horse's conformation.

Good movement and good instincts over the fences. He has all the right pieces, even if they don't quite match right now! I'd not be surprised if he really blossomed and grew into himself his 3/4 yo years.

I think it is a little early to conclude that he is not "Stallion Material". I love his trot and canter. His jumping abilities are not impressive on the video but it may very well be only because the hight of the fence do not create a challenge for him yet. However, I would wait another year before jumping him higher.

I find it hard to juge his conformation from the pictures or the video but his front pasterns seem a little straight to me. His hind legs also seems a little straight from the stifle down. As mentionned before though, it is clear that he is not mature yet and I would be curious to see him in a year from now.

As for his bloodlines, Indoctros offsprings are often average looking. I've also noticed that they are sometimes late bloomer and far from mature at 2 yo (from the couple I have seen). As for the dam line, it seems to be bloodlines that were developed in argentina for a long time and not much information are available on the internet. However, Grand Veneur is a foundation sire of the Selle Fran├žais who have been one of the most influenacial stallion in modern sport horse breeding.

A lot must be taken into account when the decision is made to keep a male as a stallion. An average or even only good horse should be gelded. A stallion must be able to improve the mare band of the region where he stands. You must also be sure you have the ressources to promote his career and offer him as a sire efficiently and safely. Otherwise, a stallion in a barn is just a useless liability risk. In case of doubt, I believe guelding is the answer.

Thumbs up Thanks for the input!

The general concensus seems to be to wait to geld...His temperament is very sweet (not stalliony at all), so it doesn't bother me to let him grow and see what he becomes. His body is mismatched for now and gawky, but I also agree he needs to mature, so no harm waiting for that to happen. It's a good thing to know Indoctros are late bloomers.
    I like how he moves and seems pretty light. As someone else posted, his instinct over jumps seem pretty good for zero training in the chute. We have to remember that all those amazing auction horses have MANY spins in the chute before they are seen by the buying crowd.
    Bottom line, for what I paid for him, there's enough budget to wait till he shows a little more...
    Any more opinions would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    V

Cool

1. I just want to see how he developes. Make sure you keep us updated!

2. Why don't I ever find deals like this!!! LOL.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    I love him 100x more in the video than I did in the picture--didn't do him justice. He looks short in the back and his shoulder and neck attachment look a little ehh in the photo but that does not translate in the video at all. He has an easy way of going and seems put together well, appears to be an amiable and athletic guy and I like the way he uses himself over those jumps. Good find!!

I thought the same thing.....did not like him in the picture but the video changed that.

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's a terrible shot and age to be accurately judging any horse's conformation.
    I agree, he kinda looks like one of my mares at 1yo, he could change a lot, good luck with him.

Unhappy What hurt me/learned most about this post...

...is that I'm a crummy photographer!!! BooooHoooo! BUaaaah!
    I love photography and my husband and I usually organize our trips according to what photos we can take (the Amazons, MachuPichu, northern Argentina, San Pedro of Atacama in Chile, etc).
    I guess I'll have to take a conformation shot course in the near future! Anyways, in my favor, the poor lad was unpreped. Just give me some clippers, a brush, hoof ointment, yarn for braids and a REAL PHOTOGRAPHER and you'll see what a handsome chap this teenager can be! hehehe

PS: Intrepid thanks you all for protecting his "manhood" and let him prove what he's worth in the future. He says he will not let you down!

There is being able to take a good picture - quality of the layout, lighting, etc - and there is being able to take a good *conformation* picture

We actually had a really good thread quite a while ago about what it takes to get good horse action shots, confo shots, etc, which included how to set up the horse, lighting, where to stand in relation to the horse, standing far away and zooming for the best perspective, and much more. His name escapes me at the moment (someone here will know!!) but a well-known photog on this board started it, I believe. OH! Reg Corkum! I don't remember his name here though. He may be here under his actual name?