The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did you clean stalls when pregnant?

Just wondering what types of things you stopped doing when you got preggers. It dosn't seem like turning out and cleaning stalls is too rigerous?

I'll precede this by saying that everyone is different and may have issues which would preclude certain activities. Obligatory default: check with your doctor!

Stopping riding wasn't an issue for me. I ride very little to begin with. My usual activities were/are all on the ground but there was nothing that I stopped doing during my two last pregnancies. I think you have to be in fairly good shape to begin with and it's necessary to be conscientious about body mechanics because your center of gravity shifts and your joints loosen, making you more prone to musculoskeletal injuries. Use common sense and enjoy the benefits of all that exercise when it's time for delivery and postpartum!

You may find yourself doing less simply because many people won't let a pregnant woman "work", especially as you get bigger. I would often accept offers of help to be polite, but also did a lot of educating about the benefits of exercise in pregnancy!

You will also discover that there's a wealth of bad information/old wives tales that persist beyond all reason. I couldn't believe how many people told me not to lift my arms above my head

Enjoy your horse/s. Enjoy your pregnancy!

Yes, and I still am at 8 months along. Although, my horses don't live in stalls. They are out 24/7 in a corral, so I only have to pick out piles twice a week (but I try to do it daily, time permitting). I am having to slow down a bit now because I get winded easily. I have a very short torso and the baby feels like he's always smooshing my lungs.

I try to make sure the horses are occupied while I am cleaning. I don't like the risk of loose horses right next to me since they can spin/kick without notice. So usually I do it while they are eating, snoozing on the other side of the corral, or out on the hot walker or in the round pen.

The only thing I've really stopped doing is riding. I won't take the risk of falling and hurting the baby. I stopped at about 4 months with my first pregnancy (when my belly started to pop out and I felt my balance being affected) and I never rode during this pregnancy.

Oh, and I don't go into the corral to feed anymore. DH's gelding is dominant and often chases my mare when food is coming, who reacts by kicking out at him. I don't want to get near that. DH feeds most of the time, but we also bought fence-mounted feeders so I can put the hay in from outside the corral. Much safer for everyone, I think.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

well, bearing in mind that my girls are now 25 and 19, and things have changed a bit in the ensuing years.....i rode up through my 8th month ....my beloved "steady eddie", just walking trail rides, ALWAYS with a buddy along.....lol...i have seen pictures, and it [I]wasn't[I] pretty!

my doc believed that keeping fit, and doing the same things you did prior to pregnancy (within reason) were beneficial to labor and delivery...........so, to keep riding was ok.......to BEGIN riding would not have been....

LOL.....and so much for "easier" delivery, as i ended up with 2 c-sections.........BUT, because i was in shape, i was back out in the barn in 2 weeks, feeding goats and horses, picking stalls and pushing the poop cart..........i was also out in the barn in 2 weeks because my ex is a donkey's behind, and refused to tend MY animals....

I "nested" cleaning stalls. Just sayin'.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluedapple View Post
    Just wondering what types of things you stopped doing when you got preggers. It dosn't seem like turning out and cleaning stalls is too rigerous?
    no one else was gonna clean them
    the day I had my first child I drove a 135 massey (read: junker w/ no cab)
    waaayyyy up in a true mountain holler to feed hogs in jan about noon...had her at 10pm...there is a pic of me somewhere riding 3 weeks later...and my balance was back in about 2 mos...

the day my last one was born, I had a lunch party for 12 here at the house and had him about midnight...I did not ride after his nearly 9 lb body popped out for about 2 mos....but I was not rebalanced properly for nearly a year...
    ETA about 2 weeks before his birth I was pissed off that some had parked a bunch of crap hay in front of mine in one of the barns...I was so mad I moved nearly 100 sm sqs out of the way by hand and told the very worried help standing around to piss off....they ran to get Calvin :>

with both of them I rode til my belly hit the saddle horn...in fact they thought the last one was a ulcer til I was 5 mos along...love modern medicine

it's all about what you are used to I guess

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

listen to your doctor and listen to your body - if you pay attention it will usually tell you if you are pushing it.

cleaned stalls and moved 65# hay bales right up to my delivery dates. both C-sections, and was back to doing it a week later. keeping my regular schedule and activities helped me keep my sanity.

the night before my first baby, son, my husband racing around trying to get things done left a paddock gate open. three horses took a 10pm stroll over to my neighbors, he called and i went to retrieve them. fortunately, since i hadn't been riding, i was the foodlady and they came running home when they heard me call. punks!
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

cleaned stalls, pushed the wheelbarrows, lifted the feed/hay, right up till the day I delivered. I didn't ride though as I hadn't been riding the whole year dd was born, so I was a little out of shape for that one.

The Dr. said I could continue to do what I had always done with in reason. I did. Everything was fine. Even though the last little dear kept me puking sick for 9 months.
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

Yes, but I stopped both riding AND lifting water buckets at 15 weeks when I started spotting. Blind panic. I had done both that morning, and it was probably lifting the (two, full) buckets and hauling them around, but I stopped both for the duration anyhow.

The basic advice of "keep doing what you're used to doing and slow down if it seems to be too much" is good general advice, but every individual is different and deserves to think this through on her own, with advice and input from all concerned.
    Click here before you buy.

Rode, cleaned stalls, fed, did it all. The only hiccup was when a very beligerent mare knocked me down when I was passing out hay, and I sprained my ankle. Then I got a bit of help from hubby. I could play the sympathy card because I was preggo, and on crutches. In case anyone is wondering, that is NOT a good combination.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I did barn work and rode up through the 8th month of pregnancy with all, even twins. I only stopped riding because I couldn't get up and over anymore. But I agree with the previous posters...

if it's what you are used to and clear it with your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I "nested" cleaning stalls. Just sayin'.
    Me too!

Keep doing everything unless you have problems, When you cannot ride astride, ride sidesaddle. Pregnancy is not a disease. Then get right back to it if you have no problems. Take doctor's advice.

Heck, I galloped and breezed race horses until I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Helped DH with a stable of 25 horses in training at a major east coast track. I helped do stalls, feed, water buckets and wrapped legs on 25 horses each day. I'd start on the front legs and work my way around to the rear then hoist myself up using the tail. My OB said he'd never had a patient "do that", but if I was used to it I could continue...couldn't sit down and ride a lead pony though!! I felt like I had a lump of iron in my gut!! DD was born in fine condition and a natural rider - who'd guess!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I agree with everyone else- I am about 32 weeks now, and have been doing most everything with no problem. When DH is around, I will have him carry water buckets. But if he isn't around, someone has to do it. I am fortunate also and am down to 2 head each at 2 barns- one barn they are almost always out but have stall access(weekly mucking) and the other barn I use my little shed and a sawdust stall for pony, which is making for little mucking- just some pile pickup.

I have been very fortunate and have really only just started to 'look' pregnant, but the belly has been getting in the way even though it isn't sticking out!

I also was not permitted to ride at all this whole pregnancy (per DH).

My doctor put the 25 lb. restriction on me right off the bat- but I have been doing this stuff all along (water, hay bales, occasional feed bags) so it did not concern me doing it- now if I had spotted or anything in the process of doing these things I can tell you it would have been different up till now.

Dad is making hay this week- I don't think I will be helping with that, as I get winded very easily (and could barely keep up with him before I was preggo!)

Quote Originally Posted by BellaLuna View Post
    I did barn work and rode up through the 8th month of pregnancy with all, even twins. I only stopped riding because I couldn't get up and over anymore. But I agree with the previous posters...

if it's what you are used to and clear it with your doctor.
    Ditto (besides the twin part, mine were single babies). I did quit jumping and with my second child only rode until the 6th month. My belly was bigger quicker, ligaments looser, etc. Natural births and quickly back in the saddle again!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am 34 weeks with my second and this pregnancy I treated totally different then my first. With my daughter, I rode up until the day before I had her. Sensibly of course.....but, then again, I was training horses and my body was used to riding about 8 a day. After delivery, I was back on in two weeks--like I had never missed a beat.

With this pregnancy, I stopped riding clients horses when I was about 5 months along. I am still riding my own on occasion, and only walking--and I imagine I will be still up until I have my little one--doing stalls, run-ins, feeding, grooming.

My doctor told me he advises against anything your body isn't used to doing. If you have been mucking your entire pregnancy, I would use your judgement and just go easy. If you aren't used to it, its certainly not something I would start now.

Good luck, and again--CONGRATS!!!

Yep, rode through 7 months, kept working a the clinic till I was due, and was pulling up the down horse in the field at 8 1/2. My dr was a little upset about the last part but hey he told me to stay active! I also ran my dog in agility through out the pregnancy, and while I would up with an emergency c-section the recovery was a breeze!!

Do whatever you feel comfortable with until you need to do otherwise was my general rule!

Yep. My water broke just a few minutes after I finished cleaning my last stall for the day. I did have to be careful lifting and cleaning water buckets and stock tanks, and came up with a neat little system to help me lift them. I stopped lifting 50 lb. feed and bedding bags at around 6 months.

I enjoyed the activity, and stall cleaning helped keep me fit. At 43, my doctor said I was in better shape than many pregnant women half my age. I did end up having a c-section, but this had nothing to do with any exercise/activity I did while pregnant. And the fact that I was fit and active has helped with the c-section recovery.

That said, be honest with your doctor about they type of activities you are performing. If at any moment you have an inkling that something is not quite right, stop the activity and trust your instinct.