The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Which Triple Crown feed?

I would like some opinions on which Triple Crown feed to feed my horses. The horses in question are: an almost 5 year old gelding, a 1 1/2 year old gelding, and a 10 year old mare. They are on pasture and get hay as a snack. The pasture is not super lush, but it's far from bad. The hay is a simple grass mix. The two older horses are worked, not consistently right now BUT that will be changing in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Personally I like TC Senior, because it has a low NSC, and is very palatable.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I've been very pleased with TC Complete, and TC has great customer service- they post here, or you can contact them through their website and they can direct you to which feed would be best.

I second the TC Complete for the older horses. I tend to keep my youngsters just on a ration balancer until they are in work as long as they keep their weight, JMO.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I like to use TC Complete as my base feed and make changes as necessary from there. My middle aged beasties all get Complete. Everybody is out 24/7 on good pasture. Some work and some don't.

It's close enough to the Sr. that I really don't see why folks prefer Sr. for younger horses. They're both beet pulp based and I like Complete's high fat content and lower protein for younger active horses. I do have some on Sr, but I don't switch them until there's a reason to do so.

I feed my 3 y.o. TC 30% (listed as 'supplemet', but considered a ration balancer) with some whole oats for extra calories. He's a WB moose and it's been great for him. I started him on that when I got him as a weanling. The breeder and a vet friend who is also a nutritionist really liked the numbers for a growing youngster.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    ...I like Complete's high fat content and lower protein for younger active horses....
    Younger, growing horses need more protein, not less. And protein needs increase with the level of activity too. Fat, not so much. It's just a good way to get extra calories into a harder keeper.

My horses went NUTS on TC Complete. Like out of their minds nuts. They were actually much more manageable on SafeChoice.

My yearling is on the 30% supplement (has been since he started creep feeding) and is in beautiful weight. He sticks at 15 hands now at almost 14 months.

My broodmare of course is on the Growth formula for the nutrients and fat needed during pregnancy and lactation.

Everybody else is on Senior as I like the higher protein and lower NSC than the Complete. The Triple Crown rep told me Senior and Complete are virtually the same except Complete has more oat in it for palatability.
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

I prefer the Senior, myself. Lower in carbs & higher in protien. I'd shoot them an email about using the Senior on a 1.5 yr old - they have a 'Growth' formula so I'm not sure the Senior would be appropriate? My horse looks great on the Senior - he is shiny & there's no excess energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Younger, growing horses need more protein, not less. And protein needs increase with the level of activity too. Fat, not so much. It's just a good way to get extra calories into a harder keeper.

My horses went NUTS on TC Complete. Like out of their minds nuts. They were actually much more manageable on SafeChoice.
    I think if you read my post, you'll see that my "younger, growing" horse gets TC 30% and that I feed Complete to my mature, but not 'old' horses. I think that 11% protein in a feed is perfectly fine for a working horse.
    Sorry your horses went nuts. I guess the rest of us are just lucky to get such good results!

FWIW, I have also fed the 'Lite' formula to my ponies and have loved what 'Growth' has done for my broodies. My youngster is 3y.o. and right at 17hh. 30% has been perfect for him.
    Y'all ain't right!

I feed the TC senior to my barn full of ottb's along with the TC 30 ration balancer which I use in addition to the senior and alone for my fatties. Like the high fat, high protein and low sugar of the TC senior. The TC complete is a bit lower in protein and fat and higher is sugar.

My 5 yo, 14 yo and 24 yo are on TC Lite in the summer and TC Low Starch in the winter. The 28yo just switched to TC Senior.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Red face Another vote for TC Senior

I have had always had good luck with horses keeping their weight and maintaining overall good body condition on Triple Crown Senior.

Let's see -- I have a 27 year old on TC Senior. I started him on it last year when he finally was starting to drop weight. He looks fabulous and adores the feed.

I have a 22 year old on TC Complete. He had some health issues earlier in the year and the Complete has been a godsend. (Only problem is the birds pick through his poop to get the undigested goodies, making cleaning his pipe corral quite challenging -- little tiny pieces of manure).

I have a 9 year old on TC Lite. He gains weight on air and it's strictly so I can mix in supplements. I also give him a scoop of the TC chopped forage (safe starch).

I have two minis who should be on TC Lite but every time I feed it, they get the runs. No explanation but I finally switched them to Strategy -- don't like the higher protein but it balances out their grass hay.

I love, love, love TC and Robin (the guru who answers any questions you email the company).
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

I use TC Complete. Love it. One horse doesn't like senior for some reason. I use it on my fatty too as a base feed and add a multivitamin and lysine in. I had him on TC lite but he chokes on pellets so this works better for him.