The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bit check

Quick question-was told by ring steward today that every horse exiting arena needed a bit check, and the check must be performed from both sides of the horses mouth. This is different than I remember it from a couple years ago, where I think it was every other horse. (Went to USDF site, but cannot get it to work at the moment).
    Also, told by someone else that "new rules are being sprang on technical delegates every month, and they then go out and put them in practice"
    Just curious...

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but i'd suggest going to every show expecting to be "bit checked"
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Current rules (from the USEF web site)
    DR 121.9. Ring stewards appointed by competition management must check saddlery and inspect
    bits and spurs on both sides of the horse for at least one-third of the horses in each class. Inspection
    of saddlery and bits must be done at the direction of the technical delegate. Inspection
    of saddlery and bits must be done immediately as the horse leaves the arena. (See
    DR126.11) The checking of the bridle must be done with the greatest caution, as some horses
    are very touchy and sensitive about their mouths. Bit inspectors must use a new disposable
    protective glove for each horse. The responsibility for the correct attire and equipment, however,
    still rests with the competitor. When communicable disease is a concern, any deviations
    to established saddlery inspection protocol must be approved by the USEF Dressage Department
    prior to the competition. BOD 1/17/10 Effective immediately
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I know when I'm gate keeper at the recognized show - I see them stop and check every horse as they come out. If they check everyone -- then they will have the required amount and no one can claim that they were targeted.
    I know I have a friend in eventing who's horse gets drug tested just about every event -- people are actually beginning to wonder if she is being targeted ( small horse doing I).

What you must make sure they do is use CLEAN GLOVES for each horse. If they don't ( which quite often happens) then pass up the inspection.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._