The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fhoenix GPT jumping saddle, anyone?

I remember when I bought my saddle that Heather was coming out with jumping saddle.

Well thanks to JB (you did this!) I was looking them over and was wondering if anyone has tried one.

Oh, shall we start playing the blame game now?

I have just bought my first treeless dressage saddle (a G4 Sensation) and I love it. Now I am thinking ahead to later this year when we will hopefully start jumping and wondering about treeless jumping saddles. The Ansurs tend to be out of my price range and I don't like the look of them that much, but the Fhoenix looks more promising....

So I would also love to hear any feedback on someone who has one!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oh, shall we start playing the blame game now?

Yes-you would be to blame.

I spoke to 2 reps and these saddles sound HEAVENLY. I am demo-ing one

How exciting! I hope you will write an extensive review (with pics) when you get it!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I couldn't jump at ALL in my Fhoenix GP, but then, it was ideal for dressage for my leg, so that makes sense. If the stirrup bars are forward enough, the design looks wonderful. I can't say enough good things about the Fhoenix...

The only bad thing for me was that when my horse really started developing topline as he started working consistently in 3rd level, he developed SO MUCH that my hip just could NOT take it. I was in agony. It actually took me almost 3 months to figure out (admit?) it was the saddle. Because the horse(s) loved it.

I would have kept it for riding more normal horses, but life got very complicated and it was a very fast sale when I needed cash for a family illness/emergency.

I am SO, SO coveting that jumping model to start youngsters in... but I suspect my hip just still wouldn't be able to take it. It is aesthetically very pleasing, isn't it.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I find it interesting that the jumping saddle does not have traditional billets-you still use a dressage girth with it.

The GPT does have the bars about an inch forward compared to the dressage models-so that should make a difference in jumping.

Sorry pinto that yours does not work for you anymore:-(-I will try to keep my gushing to a minimum ;-)

Seriously. I still browse them on Ebay... I still WANT one soooo badly, and yet, I know it hurts. How pathetic is that?

Pinto I'm sorry yours didn't work out for you. Was your GP one of the new Vogue GPT jumping saddles or one of the older standard GP versions?

They did tell me the new vogue has a narrower twist-so maybe you can try again? (stirring the pot here!)

The best part? The two reps were so nice and responsive! You could just FEEL they really care about the horse-if it is not right or does not fit, they don't want you to have it! Period!

Did anyone every buy a Fhoenix directly from England? How did that work out?

What bothers me, they cost $2,500 (Vogue) when ordered through a rep here in the US, however in the UK they cost GBP1,000 (+ tax) (= $1,600) Shipping cost should be no more then $35 (recently had a similar weight saddle shipped from England), that's still a substantial difference. The standard GPT is only GBP765 + tax, yet again $2,000 here.
    They say it's due to import & tax duties, but how come when I order blankets and yes even a saddle form England lately I pay no such thing and I even get the UK tax deducted
    Anyone know how exactly this import duty/tax works? Is the amount capped or so?

Plus how come Dover Saddlery can import Thorowgood saddles and sell them at an equivalent $ to GBP price in the US but the Fhoenix reps can't?

PS, Heather is working yet another version of her vogue saddles, geared for the high withered horses. So if anyone is thinking of buying one but has a high withered horse, you may want to wait it out a little.
    Last edited by Lieslot; Feb. 6, 2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

What bothers me, they cost $2,500 when ordered through a rep here in the US, however in the UK they cost GBP1,000 (+ tax) (= $1,600) Shipping cost should be no more then $35 (recently had a similar weight saddle shipped from England), that's still a substantial difference.
    They say it's due to import & tax duties, but how come when I order blankets and yes even a saddle form England lately I pay no such thing and I even get the UK tax deducted

How come Dover Saddlery can import Thorowgood saddles and sell them at an equivalent $ to GBP price in the US but the Fhoenix reps can't?

PS, Heather is working yet another version of her vogue saddles, geared for the high withered horses. So if anyone is thinking of buying one but has a high withered horse, you may want to wait it out a little.
    Hmmmm...wow...that is 2 pieces of information that are worth thinking about.

Any idea when the new version will be available?

I'm hoping spring, but latest I heard sounded like it'll probably be nearer summer.

What happened, she always recommended the suberpanel version for high withered horses, but somehow the manufacturer refuses to continue making the suberpanel version. Hence Heather is now working on an updated version to accomodate high withers.

If and when I know more I'll definetely put it up here. I'm debating waiting it out at present. I really want one, but precisely the two reasons above are holding me up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I find it interesting that the jumping saddle does not have traditional billets-you still use a dressage girth with it.
    There are actually quite a few traditional CC/Jump/Eventing saddles that have long billets now (meaning you use a "dressage" girth). Any monoflap saddle uses a short girth, and it seems a larger % of European-made CC saddles either come standard with long billets or have the option.

If it ended up being something you didn't like, you can cut the billets to have short ones and just use a regular long girth. Some people even do that with their dressage saddles.

From the site:

The price is the same for each model of Fhoenix, payable in GB Pounds Sterling by credit card or bank transfer, at a cost of £1050 (c. US$1995) plus £120 (c. US$228) for postage and packing, with a US imports duty and taxes of approximately $110. These figures are based on exchange rates for October 2006, and may vary in the future. Some Agents may accept payment in US Dollars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That doesn't appear to be a very big savings?

PP- have you tried the Vogue yet? I sold my fhoenix's (i? LOL) for the very same reason you did- hips were killing me. But i sat in a vogue, and OMG- Must. Have. One.

So, saving my pennies for that great day to arrive.

I was wondering the very same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

What bothers me, they cost $2,500 (Vogue) when ordered through a rep here in the US, however in the UK they cost GBP1,000 (+ tax) (= $1,600) Shipping cost should be no more then $35 (recently had a similar weight saddle shipped from England), that's still a substantial difference. The standard GPT is only GBP765 + tax, yet again $2,000 here.
    Anyone know how exactly this import duty/tax works? Is the amount capped or so?

Plus how come Dover Saddlery can import Thorowgood saddles and sell them at an equivalent $ to GBP price in the US but the Fhoenix reps can't?

http://www.bettersaddles.co.uk/acatalog/Fhoenix_FA.html

Well, I knocked off the 17.5% UK tax, maybe this is where I went wrong and the price was already exempt tax.

On this particular site I get $1,723 for a Vogue and $1,318 for a standard. I'm assuming this is incl UK tax, as in Europe prices are usually listed inclusive and when shipping abroad they knock it back off.
    At the weight of the saddle with Parcel Force you can get shipping for around $35 to $55.
    And let's suppose there are $110 import duties (which I question), then that still doesn't make $2,500 and $2,000 as per US reps . What am I missing, help me out!

Import duties, ..., I don't understand how they work, I've never paid any when ordering from Frogpool Manor in UK, nor Robinsons, nor Equestrian Clearance, but in hindsight the total of my order was never higher then GBP500. That could be why.

Is the culprit is the Oct 06 rate they are using? Today's rate is perhaps more favorable?

Please do correct me if I got things wrong here guys, I don't want to be screaming, if I'm missing something. I'd rather look like an idiot then making false claims .

(11) Deliveries outside the European Union may incur local taxes and import duties, which may involve slight delays. The customer is solely responsible for the payment of any of these additional charges that may be imposed.

(12) Better Saddles Ltd is not registered for UK VAT.
    Hmmm, does the latter now mean that the $1,723 & $1,318 is inclusive 17,5% tax or exclusive. Coz for overseas shipping it's deductible.

They only ship via Fed Ex, which is very $$$. (120 GBP) And Duty is $$$. Hence the US pricing. You don't save much if anything buying from England direct. (there were no US agents back when I bought.) You must wire it too, which adds a $30 fee or so. I couldn't use a regular Visa or MC, maybe you can now?

I did just do the exhange rate, and it's gone down quite substantially... I thought the dollar tanked, but 1000 GBP is less than $1500 USD at the moment... Hm. Worth checking into I guess.

I haven't tried the Vogue. Started with the SBS Flexion, progressed to the Fhoenix. At this rate will be years before I could afford a Vogue. (not all that fond of the look of it either, though looks are last on the list, still... )