The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reins on your double?

What reins are your favorite for your snaffle and curb reins...? my curb is too small...and I hate the snaffle my bridle came with....thoughts?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE

On my double I have in the past just used regular laced reins on the snaffle and some 1/2" smooth curb reins I got off ebay. I recently got some calfskin plain reins with stops on ebay that I use as my snaffle reins now.

I have 5/8" leather reins with stops on my snaffle and 3/8" flat leather reins on my curb. The snaffles are Anky brand I believe, the curbs are Perry's Leather.

I have 5/8" rubber lined leather reins on my snaffle and 3/8" flat leather reins on my curb - Jerry's.

I exactly have FEI1day's set up--LOVE it! Also Jerry's (as well the bridle).
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I have 5/8ths on the snaffle and 1/2 inch on the curb. But that is for daily use. For the ring I believe the 3/8ths is recommended.

Does not the rule book list the recommended sizes for bridles and reins?
    My work bridle is 5/8ths wide on the cheeks and the strap on the caveson is slightly smaller.
    sadmakr

I hate my curb rein too - it's the standard 3/8 smooth leather rein that came with the bridle. I had not thought of getting a slightly wider rein for that. For my snaffle I have very thin biothane reins -- the ones with the little pimples on them. I love them. But I also use 'eventer' rubber reins exclusively on all my snaffle bridles. I wish you could buy bridles without the reins - so many come with laced or web reins and I never use them and always end up almost giving them away -- brand new and unused -- at local used tack sales.

I have the albion suede lined rein for the snaffle rein, in oversize, so it's really long, and had my saddle fitter/bridle maker add stops the width of my hand. It's a 5/8 inch rein. My curb is the matching half inch oversized curb rein, plain flat leather. I love this setup.

Before that I had Jerry's make me reins, with the snaffle rein having stops the width of my hand. But I prefer this, with the snaffle rein slightly thicker and with a little more grip.

I do have a friend who will put sticky wax on her snaffle rein before a test. For me that is too sticky.