The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did anyone notice who was judging the Hunter Derby in Lexington KY May 7?

It was Jimmy Wofford. Does anyone know whether this is the first time he has judged one? And boy, would I like to know what he thinks about the relationship of the hunter derbies to eventing. What lessons could we learn from them?

Maybe a future PH column on this? Please?

And... what do you all think about the relationship of the hunter derbies to eventing? Have you watched any of the derbies?

I don't know a thing about hunter derbies but I do know JCW thinks the good show hunter has the best jumping form and that we should all try to emulate that in our training....
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Self carriage.

The hunter derby horses show us that self carriage with a good tempo and rhythm can make the big fences quite easy. I would suspect that JW would like to see us eventers learn how to get more by doing less.

I believe he has touch on this in past writings if you want to check...

subk, I remember him discussing self-carriage and show hunters, but I cannot recall where. I will go back through some of the old columns to see if I can find it.

Here are some videos from the top three finishers in last year's finals, also in KY:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbEN4JyWgvQ (very shaky, too bad)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvs7R3lZhQ

And here are the specs:
    http://www.ushja.org/ihd/content/cla...fications.aspx

My impression, watching the videos, is that the biggest difference between eventing showjumping rounds and the above rounds seems to be pace-- and the hunters have a more open frame. Also, the courses are of course different-- more combinations for eventers, and wider spreads. And the winning rider does have a habit of tipping forward before fences-- which would not serve him well XC!

But what is evident is the athleticism of the horses and the invisible aids of the riders. It looks to me to be something to strive toward.

All I have to say is I love watching Rumba go and certainly wouldn't mind seeing him in MY barn. He's spectacular and looks like a fun ride.

Jimmy Wofford wrote one of his columns about self-carriage and hunters in a recent-ish PH. It was probably 3 or so issues ago...I'll dig it out later and edit with the specifics.

You guys know that there is a hunter Jimmy Wofford too, right? Are you sure it wasn't him?

Quote Originally Posted by vbunny View Post
    You guys know that there is a hunter Jimmy Wofford too, right? Are you sure it wasn't him?
    No, I didn't know that! I wonder how I could find out which one it was.

But I really hope it was our JW... he would be an great judge for the hunter derbies.

99% sure it's probably not Eventing Jimmy - it's probably Hunter Jimmy.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

We spent a day at a big Hunter show in Aiken this past winter and were DUMBFOUNDED at the beauty, rhythm, athleticism, pace of those 4' hunter horses. It was really an amazing thing to behold. One after the other after the other, cantering quietly around the ring and jumping quietly over those big jumps, landing, going on...NOTHING changed. No tugging, no stepping up nor checking to a distance, it was very cool. We all wondered how dey do dat........
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Default KY or VA ?

I notice that in the May 21 issue of COTH, on Page 59, there is a table showing results in the $10k hunter derby and it says Lexington, KY.

However, the IHSA Nationals were held at KHP that weekend (same issue, pp. 50-56).

The hunter derby was actually held in Lex. VA.

There is a Jimmy Wofford who does hunters. I was confused too- he did a clinic at my barn and I was all confused as to why a bunch of 2'6 hunter kids would take a lesson with Jimmy Wofford to prep for year end hunter classes and why he would come to teach a bunch of hunter kids.

But yeah, the derbies are cool! It always looks so effortless on behalf of horse and rider.

Quote Originally Posted by khp vol View Post
    I notice that in the May 21 issue of COTH, on Page 59, there is a table showing results in the $10k hunter derby and it says Lexington, KY.

However, the IHSA Nationals were held at KHP that weekend (same issue, pp. 50-56).

The hunter derby was actually held in Lex. VA.

... and the confusion piles up... that COTH issue is where I got my info, too.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

also Hunter Jimmy has his big R and has been judging a lot these last few years, so I'm guessing it was him.

It blew my mind the first time I saw the name in the program as a judge way back when.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

There are more than one Hunter Derby - the finals are at KHP in August.

There was one on the 7th of May in Lexington VA, and one in Lexington KY on May 15th.

http://www.ushja.org/ihd/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    We spent a day at a big Hunter show in Aiken this past winter and were DUMBFOUNDED at the beauty, rhythm, athleticism, pace of those 4' hunter horses. It was really an amazing thing to behold. One after the other after the other, cantering quietly around the ring and jumping quietly over those big jumps, landing, going on...NOTHING changed. No tugging, no stepping up nor checking to a distance, it was very cool. We all wondered how dey do dat........

Hence the reason why they sell for 600K. : )
    From what I hear, Rumba was not as easy as he looked.
    Also, think about how hard it is to stay ontop of those horses. They jump slowly through the air with so much snap in their backs!

I was really excited at the start of the thread. I thought maybe I'd get to see our JW at some point!

Boomer had his first jumping lesson this past weekend. My plans are to get him up and running again. Start with Training level and do the 3' hunters this year to make sure he's good and sound.

Then it's on to the derbies. Derbies and the occasional Prelim for 2011.
    I told Heather that I'm going to jump those darn squirrel tails. Be it at Rolex or the Derby Finals. It's going to happen!

I love this video, this is Boom two weeks ago. Only ridden a handful of times and jumped three or four times this year. No need for reintroductions, I just pointed him at the bank complex. He's less than enthused.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCX_h9biOM

I love how my Mother buckled over laughing at him.

I also jumped through the coffin complex. He took his jolly ol time and jumped overly round at the ditch. I almost fell off.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

FYI - There are 2 Jimmy Woffords and they are cousins.
    One is our Eventing JW - based in VA
    The other is H/J JW, last I heard based in SC
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

amen

I do think that horses that are going to be jumping for their job should have some hunter basics. I know a while ago there was a thread about changes and that hunters are taught them early while eventers often do them later because they do not want to hurt their counter canter and that they don't matter that much.

While watching the rolex stuff on TV many of the riders did try to make sure they were on the correct lead and had very nice changes. I do think that the dressage changes are different than ones you use for jumping and I do feel that many people at the lower levels of eventing need to have more "hunter" basics in their riding. I hate seeing people riding around and jumping while the horse is inverted and is rushing and hanging legs. When I think about going XC that is not what I want to experience. That does not mean they have to have the best canter or be completely even with their knees but they need to learn to be relaxed and supple. Some horses that are extremely talented can get away with this and trainers work around them because they are so talented, but the average horse can and should have those basics.

There are plenty of people out there that do install these basics into their horses, but there are a fair amount of people who don't and those are the scary ones to watch.